Thread: School years 12 & 13 - what do they study?

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default School years 12 & 13 - what do they study?

When we come to NZ (hopefully) my older son will be 16 nearly 17. He would have just finished his GCSE's in the UK. We are currently looking at college courses for him (he doesn't want to do A levels). In years 12 & 13 in NZ do they continue their studies in line with A levels in the UK or can they choose different courses? He wants to do a course in Computer programming. Would he be better off going to a polytechnic? He has seen a National Diploma course here in the UK that covers what he wants.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I've spoken to my 16 yo son, who seems to understand these things better than me, and he said you son would be better going to a polytechnic rather than do years 12 and 13 at school as during these years several different subjects have to be taken and the courses are usually continued from year 11, gaining credits during exams each year which add up for university entrance at year 13 (A Level standard). You son could concentrate on just computer programming at polytec.

Hope that helps a tinsy bit.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hey Nicky we'd agree with Glenda. Lauren had just left school in the UK when we got here. We were advised by the education profesionals we spoke to that she wouldn't get a lot out of going back to school and that her best bet would be to find college course. Remember about the different term times here though. Lauren is going to uni next year to do a bridging course and then starting her degree early but she can't go until March 08 that means she's been hanging around doing nothing here since July! We've applied to immi to change her student visa so that she get a part time job........we're STILL waiting
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that Dawn. That's what I thought. I have been looking into the different polytechnics & Universities in the Christchurch area and I think Uni is the way to go. They offer foundation courses that last 1 - 2 semesters then they can enrol on the degree/diploma courses. What about fees? We hope to have PR so will my son be able to apply for a student loan? I have looked at the courses and unlike in the UK where the course is for xx years and encompasses all required bits it seems that you have to enrol on various modules and each one has a different price. Is this the case or have I got it wrong?

BTW Dawn - which education professionals did you speak to and did you sort it in the UK before arriving or was it something that can only be done once in NZ?
    Last edited by nickydwuk; 26-11-2007 at 01:45 AM.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Nicky when I say education professionals what I mean is I spoke to a lot of different teachers, heads, course facilitators when we got here to try and determine the best way forward for Lauren. And the news from the horses mouth was that she shouldn't go back to school. You can arrange it from the UK if you have your PR sorted. If you have any other visas than residency you will have to pay International Fees. We are waiting for our residency to come through and depending on when this is Lauren will either start in March or July. Our WP's and her student visa only qualify kids for primary and secondary education not free tertiary education. Once you have PR your lad will be able to apply for student grants and loans the same as everyone else. As for the different modules I can't help because Laurens doesn't work like that.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land