Thread: Work to Residence and PG Tips

gill is offline Junior Member

Red face Work to Residence and PG Tips

Evenin All
    Well here I am again, having logged in and out of this site most of the day. Cant believe how much info there is on here, what an ace site I have sooo many questions to ask i could probably be here all night writing them but hey, I have to get up for work in the morning so I will make this as brief as possible...
    Can anyone tell me what is the best order to start the immigration process off? I know that I need to get my qualifications verified and if they are ok will go down the skilled migrant route but is it better to apply from the UK or will I have a better chance if I take a long holiday to NZ and look for employment whilst there? If I got a working permit (are they the ones that last 2 years) would I be able to apply for PR? Ive been told that PR doesnt necessarily get granted so Im really not sure whats the best route. If my job isnt on the long term skills list will I ever be able to gain PR? Sorry for all the questions, I will no doubt have another handful for you over the next few days...
    Ps do you know if the have PG Tips in NZ?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Gill, glad you like it!

First and foremost, PG Tips is in NZ! Thats one dilema out of the way....

Where to start? Well thats a toughy. Different things work for different people. I'm guessing, but from the gist of your post I take it you're on your own - ie no partner or kids? What do you do for a living? We could probably give you an indication of how likely you are to find work and/or if it's skilled or not.

If you're under 30, you could try the working holiday route too. So many different factors, eh?!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Taffy, you haven't been paying attention in class . Gill has already filled us in about her situation i.e. she is a pharmacy technician and OH is a HGV driver. The query now is with the jobs being on the ISSL list and not the LTSSL, how to proceed from there to getting PR. With ISSL you can only get a WP but I'll have to check out how (or 'if') you can progress from that to getting PR when I've got a minute or three, unless someone else can fill us in in the meantime . I can't retain all this stuff in my brain so I have to go hunting around each time.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I noticed afterwards there were a few other posts!

Well, hopefully I solved the PG Tips part
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Trust you to take the easy bit.

This is a quick check for the Work to Residence route. I think the magic words are 'accredited employer' and 'earning more than $50k per annum', so perhaps you can get on the WTR bandwagon by getting a job with an accredited employer and making sure he offers you a decent salary.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

gill is offline Junior Member

Red face

Thankyou Mother Bear and Taffy, you two are sound as a pound. Well at least the most important question has been answered...PG Tips in NZ
    I shall look into everything else when I have a minute or so but at least now I have something to go on......and maybe I should think about retraining!!!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hate to stick my oar in it ... but I've not seen PGTips!!!

Perhaps it is a bit city thing, though I am sure they can be found in British food shops. They do have some nice tea here - Dilmah comes to mind, also Twinings for the more discerning.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

PG Tips are available in New World, Glenda - or at least they are in Hamilton