Thread: Can we do it?

Kirstpaul is offline Junior Member

Question Can we do it?

Rite,

Here we go. We are a young family of four with much enthusiasm but limited resources. It is our dream to come and live in New Zealand but we're not sure if financially it will be possible. I am not asking for someone to run around doing all the leg work but what we are looking for is a rough figure.

If you looked back on the move that you've made and just roughly toted up the cost of the immigration process, flights, first 3 months living costs, moving costs how much would it roughly come to?

We have an idea but this information would just confirm what we would need and whether the dream is within grasp or if we have to put in a few years hard labour before its managable.

Thanks in advance.

Kirsten

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

we are in a similar position .... but not actually moved yet.

We are applying for residency before leaving, and my spread sheet reckons about 11k for our visa application, flights for 2 adults, 2 young children, container for our belongings plus 3k for our dog, house sale fees etc!

also looked at rentals which I think I found the average to be about $500 per week ...

HTH

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Kirsten,

A lot will depend on which visa you chose and how many personal belongings you want to bring. You'll find the current visa application fees on the NZIS website Immigration New Zealand.

We made the move in October 2006 as a family of five with Skilled Migrant Permanent Residency visas. I'm working from memory, but the rough costs were something like....

EOI NZ$315(I think it's NZ$400 now)
    ITA GB£1200
    Migrant Levy GB£600 (4 at £150 each)

Plane tickets GB£3700 - one way, including an overnight stop in Singapore, a three week stop in Aussie and onward travel to Auckland.

12 month family travel insurance GB£350

Sole use of a 20' container, with all packing, six months storage in the UK and onward shipping to Christchurch GB£4000

All in all, about GB£10,000 to get us and our stuff here from the UK. I can't remember how much we spent during the first three month, but no-one asked us to prove whether we had any money in the bank.

Lou's estimate is quite a good one, but you could probably do it for less if you shop around, take direct flights and don't bother with a container. A few people on the forum have sold everything and taken the minimalistic route, arriving with literally just the clothes they stand in. It's worth thinking about, especially if your furniture isn't terribly great or has seen better days.

Default Yup, that's what we thought

Yeah, we got it about right. We were thinking about 10?K. We can stretch to that, but it would pretty much clear us out, depending on what the house sells at, or when it sells. The market in France is really slow just now, so now I have to investigate all the time scales for all the different bits.

Wouldn't be able to stretch to re-doing bits if we ran out of time.

Would still love anyone else's input on this subject.

MaxG is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstpaul View Post
    Would still love anyone else's input on this subject.
    I don't have removals figures, but the application process costs for us (2 adults, 2 children - well, 3 adults really as elder daughter is now 18) so far have been:

EOI - $400
    Police checks for 3 - ?30 (BTW do people who live in England have to get checks from the Scottish police computer? We had to get certs from Scotland and England, even though we haven't lived in England since 1994)
    Medicals + X-rays - ?908 (all at the adult price)
    ITA - ?685 (fortunately priced in GBP! And submitted last week!)
    Migrant levy ?460 (?115 x 4, again priced in GBP - not paid yet, but fingers crossed...)

So about... ?2250 so far. Plus flights (say ?3.5 to ?4k including internal flights) and shipping (see above) and the cost of selling the house (about ?4.5k). The estimate I sent my prospective employer in NZ was that the total cost (including legal and estate agent's fees for selling the house) would be about $38,000. Happily they've offered to put $20,000 towards that... thank goodness.

duane1x is offline Member

The Application costs are what they are. We are one of the ones who have opted for the no-container route. We will be storing some items behind, but that should be minimal. The rest will be sold, given away, and as it turns out a number of pieces will go with the house.

This shaved a lot from our estimate. A container from the US is said to be around 10K. We are going to rent a furnished place for a year and take it from there afterward. Yes, we may end up buying furniture again in NZ but we can take our time, check out sales and newspaper ads, and accumulate items over the year.

Best of luck with your plans.

So if we manage to scrape together the money to get ourselves through the processing and get over, does anyone think it's full hardy to arrive with only enough money to live on for say 6 months! Or is that just too risky? We are never going to have vast savings so not sure about being able to survive if work flags etc. We would both be expecting to work on arrival if lucky enough for us to find work, so anything not spent would be kept for future crisis.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Kirsten

We're pretty much in the same boat as you, we'll need to get at least one of us working within a couple of weeks of arrival. We've already got a bit of money on deposit in NZ but not much & we'll need that & whatever we make from the house (again not much) to buy a house in NZ.

What kind of work are you in? Office work & construction (probably IT too but others will know) you should be able to pick up straight away.

Sal
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Immigrating on a shoestring is never the ideal way to go about it but that's how many people have done it, otherwise they'd lose out on the chance of a new life. Starting over is always a risk, even if you've got a heap of money, but if you don't take the risk, you'll never know what might have been. And, if you wait, will you be any better off next year or the year after? Also, it's best to take the gamble while you're still young when it's easier to bounce back if things go wrong. Leaving it until later might have an adverse effect on the children's education if they're uprooted at a critical time in their studies.

If you are a good budgeter and are aware of your limited resources you will act accordingly and your money will go a lot further than someone who gets carried away with splashing out in a new country. There have been some who decided to 'live the life' and chose the best car and a swish hotel or rental as soon as they landed and came unstuck because their money soon disappeared. If you think you have enough money to live on for 6 months I would think that would give you a pretty good start. No one can predict how quickly you'll get jobs and have income rolling in, but there's no reason why you shouldn't both be earning fairly soon. Just take time to search through job sites to try to gauge how much you could earn (that is if they show the salary, which a lot don't ) and see if you think you can manage on it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.