Thread: Finding a job with an MBA

Cynicoren is offline Junior Member

Default Finding a job with an MBA

Hello there,
    I am very interested to immigrate to NZ, but first thing's first, and I want to know what is the probability to find a job there. I have a BA in Behavioral and Social sciences, and an MBA degree, (major in Finance). Both degrees graduated with honors , and were studied in a university that is recognized by the NZ authorities.
    My most relevant work experience is -
    A) 1.5 years as a recruitment officer (1 year for a cellular company, half a year for Intel)
    B) 1.5 years as an investments adviser in my nation's biggest bank (I'm currently still in this position).

What do you think, do I have a good chance (or not) to find a job there (or do I need to post here my full resume?)

Thank you for your help

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Cynicoren,

to the forum.

Have you thought about taking a look at some of the job agents' sites to see if there's anything in your line? There's a few mentioned on our NZ Website List (scroll down to Employment). Some sites are for specific types of jobs but others cover a wider area.

I think you might find that having work experience that matches your qualifications will be preferred by Immigration NZ and, if you want to claim points for work experience you will need to have worked in that area for a minimum of 2 years.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hello, and thank you for your kind reply.
    I actually looked at some of the ads, but most of them asked for work experience, whilst none (that i've seen) asked for some sort of education.
    Actually, when planning to immigrate, I thought i might do different things in NZ, realize my full potential, rather than doing my "old" jobs (that require no higher education than a high school diploma).
    So I may be losing points claiming for work exp. , but I can gain some by having a local employer hiring me, right ?

Blog Entries

If you get a job offer i.e. one that comes within the boundaries of what INZ considers appropriate, you can get extra points for that. There are certain criteria to be met so any old job and work experience won't do if you want to get permanent residency. If you find a suitable skilled job and want to work for a while to get extra work experience, you will need to apply for a Work Permit to allow you to work legally in NZ.

If you read through this it should explain the various ways to work in NZ and what is required to be granted a suitable visa or permit. Really you need to check out the points indicator to see how many points you can get now and, then, how many more you need before you can apply for residency. That is where you need to start from and you will need a minimum of 100 points to be able to apply.

The points table also gives you some idea of how many points you can get.

One way of gaining work experience and following the path to residency is Work to Residence . It takes longer but you get there in the end.
    Mother Bear

Thank you.
    I have just one more question (for now...) - How does the NZ immigration office counts time in a certain proffession regarding internship ?
    For example, If I was an intern for a year and then worked for a year (in the same profession of course), would NZ immigration consider it as a 2 year experience or just one ?

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if the second one is relative to your situation or whether it might be the first one.

G4.1.1 What kind of work experience counts?

Work experience which was an integral part or course requirement of the qualification for which points are awarded will not be counted in calculating relevant work experience.
    Research, study or training that is undertaken as part of paid employment may be assessed as work experience, provided that:
    it is relevant to the qualification for which points were awarded, and
    it was not undertaken as part of the qualification for which points were awarded.

Relevant work experience may be aggregated.
    Periods of parental leave, leave without pay, or unpaid study leave do not count towards relevant work experience.
    Work experience does not include experience:
    of such a low standard that it led to the principal applicant's* dismissal;
    gained before the age of 20 (except work experience gained after a qualification for which points are awarded);
    gained during compulsory military service or compulsory community service (except if the work experience is gained after the age of 20 and is relevant to the qualification for which points are awarded).
    Mother Bear