Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit Cards

Alison is offline Member

Default Credit Cards

Hi Guys

We where looking into getting a credit card just incase we ever wanted to buy something online, as we are currently furnishing the house and had seen a few things but of course couldnt get them with just EFTPOS and have now come across the problem of most banks you seem to have to have PR and of course we are over on a WTR visa at the mo so looks like we are stuffed.

It is not something I had thought of beforehand and now I can see it being quite a pain not being able to buy anything online for over 2 years until we get PR, so just checking has anyone else ever been in this situation and does anyone know of a bank or somewhere that accepts people who do not have PR yet?

Thanks

Ali
    x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Just as a starter, I found this old thread where Helen Waters mentions that they got credit cards from Wespac even though they didn't have jobs. They were in NZ on WHVs so wouldn't have had either WPs or PR.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

We got our credit cards from the ASB whilst on a visitors visa, awaiting PR. Maybe things have changed since July 2005? Perhaps a healthy bank balance is necessary (which ours was for a short while when we moved to NZ.)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Alison is offline Member

Thanks guys

We are with BNZ at the moment and have been told we need PR to get a credit card, researching online I have found National Bank will give you one with proof of visas, am going to go into town tomorrow and pop into every bank on the high street to see what they say. Like you say Glenda perhaps things have become stricter and we lost our healthy balance 2 weeks ago when we moved into our house hehe so I hope thats not an essential!!!

Ali
    x

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Its so strange, we cant get one with the ANZ although we have a good bank balance bought our business and have a small mortgage with them.
    Its all down to not having a PR.
    Even trying to get credit to get on the wagon seemed nigh impossible.
    Because we bought our new car cash as well.

So, we are looking to open anothert bank account to resolve this rather than keep using UK funds after using our Barclaycard to pay for things worldwide
    Even the Westpac where you put money in and use it as a credit card against money you have on deposit is dependant on having PR!! DURR

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hey Alison, we bank with Westpac and we have a debit card that allows you to buy online etc, exactly the same as visa debit or switch or maestro in the UK. It's not a credit card but if you have the cash in the bank you can use it for anything, international transactions included. We've used it everywhere and they all take it just the same as Eftpos but with higher limit i.e. if the funds are in the bank it's yours, internet, over the phone et al.

We signed up for it at the same time as opening the account
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Yep, I'm with my trusty co-host Dawn, Westpac offer the Visa Debit cards if you can't get credit cards. They are also probably one of the best banks I've dealt with since being here!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Alison is offline Member

I looked at Westpac online and saw about the debit cards which would be ideal! It said you needed PR but perhaps they have exceptions and dont mention it online, will go and check them out and cross fingers

Alison is offline Member

Been up and down the high street today into all the banks, sadly without too much success Our own bank say a definate no, Westpac say you need PR for credit or debit card. It seems very strict that someone who is living permanently, has bought a house and has a full time job in NZ is not allowed to apply for one

The only success we have is with National Bank who will accept you for a credit card with proof of work visas so we will be looking into that more.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Been up and down the high street today into all the banks, sadly without too much success Our own bank say a definate no, Westpac say you need PR for credit or debit card. It seems very strict that someone who is living permanently, has bought a house and has a full time job in NZ is not allowed to apply for one

The only success we have is with National Bank who will accept you for a credit card with proof of work visas so we will be looking into that more.

Can't understand that Alison as we'd only been here 1 week and on V's when Westpac gave us one. In fact they didn't even ask us what our visa status was!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast