Thread: Three weeks in....

bstar is offline Member

Default Three weeks in....

....well I am now here in Auckland, and settling in. Started my job as well!! It is manic at the moment! Ideally it probably would have been better to give it a week before I started work to get my head around things, but time pressures wouldn't allow this!
    No regrets so far...it is already a better lifestyle, and feeling healthier for the move.....only thing I am missing is of course family and friends, but central heating!!! Can't believe I am saying that, but as other members have pointed out, it can get damp in Auckland, and nights have been chilly, so heating would help this...but a small price to pay!
    Anyway, hopefully will update again sooner.
    Has anyone got any tips on how to meet people?? locals etc?? I am living with my boyfriend and made a few friends through him, but would be nice to branch out on my own! This may be an obvious answer, but if anyone has any tips would be great
    EOI submitted 9th April 2007
    EOI drawn 11th April 2007
    ITA received May 8th 2007
    ITA received by NZIS June 1st 2007
    PR approved by NZIS June 19th 2007

Arrived in Auckland August 23rd 2007

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Bstar,

Lovely to hear from you that all is well so far. Good luck with the new job.

One of the best ways to make new friends is to join special interest groups. If you have a hobby or other activity that you take part in, what better way to meet like-minded friends? Similarly, if you're sporty, join a gym or a golf club. Or what about evening classes? Once you're seen regularly somewhere, people should, hopefully, start to chat and you can take it from there.

Fingerscrossed for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Bstar,

I think one of the main way's of meeting people when you first arrive is work. As MB said joining social clubs etc is a good way.

I've found that by organising things with work people it's the best and easiest way to get your own social circle. When we first moved out I organised a few team drinks after work and some girlie evenings and found that a few people used to bring their friends along which widens your social circle.

I've met some lovely people by doing this. But I must admit I think we (being the outsiders that is) really need to make the effort. As everyone else already has their social cuircle established and sometimes aren't that forthcoming with letting you in instantly.

You should also take people up when they say 'pop in if your're passing' as all Kiwi'a really mean it.

We also go along to Pub Quiz's. Dont know if AKL is the same but WGTN has them on pretty much every night so we usually nip along and you start seeing the same people.

You'll have your own social circle before you know it

NZGirl is offline Junior Member

Hi BStar,

I am in the UK and leave for Auckland in 2 weeks time, and i dont know anyone out there, perhaps we can swop email addresses and i can let you know when i arrive, are you from the UK?

Look forward to hearing from you.
    New Zealand Ladies Fashion get the latest gossip

bstar is offline Member

That would be great!! I will send you a message! Best of luck with your move!!
    EOI submitted 9th April 2007
    EOI drawn 11th April 2007
    ITA received May 8th 2007
    ITA received by NZIS June 1st 2007
    PR approved by NZIS June 19th 2007

Arrived in Auckland August 23rd 2007