Thread: Random question

loopylu is offline Member

Default Random question

Hi,

Am not sure whether this question is really relevant and which section it should be in but thought I'd ask anyways...

I start my round-the-world trip in the next few weeks and should be arriving New Zealand for 12 months on a working-holiday visa in December before then heading off to other countries (Australia and then South & Central America) before hopefully heading back to NZ permanently (fingers crossed)... anyways my question is that I need to get vaccinations for South and Central America but am loathed to get them now so far in advance and also just in case I never get there... does anyone know whether it would be possible to get them whilst in NZ on a WHV and how much it would cost... I guess I was just thinking that as I have to pay for some of them anyways in the UK then it might not be that much more to do it from New Zealand...

Thanks,

Lucy
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Lucy,

I don't really know the answer to this one, apart from saying that I think, without a WP or PR, you would have to pay privately for medical treatment in NZ.

This explains a bit about visitors from the UK and their eligibility to receive publicly funded medical treatment, but as you say you'd have to pay for this in the UK anyway, I wouldn't like to compare the cost of having it done in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for your reply... yeah I definitely didn't think that I would get it publically funded - was just curious in the difference in cost in having it privately over in NZ compared to what it will cost me over here (particularly with the current currency rate)...

I wasn't aware that I would be eligible for publically finded treatment for urgent care as stated in that link... so that's worth remembering :)

Thanks MB

Default Another Question

Sorry for asking more questions but things keep cropping up... my other half has contact lenses and we're trying to figure out how best to work this while we're away... if he brings a prescription with him will he be able to buy lenses & solution over in NZ and has anyone any idea of costs???

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello,

In NZ the Dr's aren't publicly funded so you would be able to get your vacinations here no worries.

You dont even need to register with the Dr's just call up and away you go. I've found it's dead easy to get apt here compared with the UK as well. You usually have to pay in the region of $30+ for an appt then what ever the prescription cost of the medication is. Usually doubling the Dr's apt fee would give you a pretty good idea of complete costs.

As for the contact lenses. I went to the opticians a week before we left for NZ and ordered them in bulk. You can (I think) order lenses online if you have the prescrition. I think they will be about the same price as I know that glasses costs are so I would presume contacts would be the same.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Amy that's really reassuring and helpful,

Lucy