Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just sell up & go????

welwynrose is offline Member

Default Just sell up & go????

the OH said tonight the he wondered if we could just sell up & go as visitors to NZ & then get work/work permits out there - is this something that is possible/avisable or is it something that is frowned upon - also if we did do this could we also ship our dogs out to be with us?

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

We did just this last year, went over to NZ on visitors visas and then applied for a work permit when OH got a job, and then we applied for PR having already had all our medicals and police checks done in the UK before we left. OH works in IT and it was very difficult for him to even land an interview for a job without actually being in NZ so we figured we would just bite the bullet and go. We had to have return tickets (or onward tickets) as we didn't have residency, and we just booked a dummy return date of 6 weeks after arrival, as we figured that if no job had come up in that time we would probably go home anyway! Fortunately the minute we got to NZ, agencies in Auckland and Wellington got him interviews with quite a few companies, and although he didn't take any of them as we decided that the Bay of Plenty was where we wanted to be, he managed to find a job within a week or so of us arriving in Tauranga. Getting a work permit was fairly easy and quick, then we just put in our EOI and automatically were invited to apply for PR so got the forms back to them within days as we had already done all the leg work and got all the appropriate paperwork.

Anyway the simple answer is yes it can be done!!! I think (correct me if I'm wrong!) that Dawn and her family have also gone out on VVs. So she will know about the dog situation.

Hope this helps

Maggie

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Further to my previous reply, I would also say that if you do decide to go over on visitors visas, probably best not to tell the immigration people at the airport that you arrive into that you are looking for work - we just said we were on a fact finding mission and visiting friends with a view to emigrating at a later date. I don't know whether it really would have caused problems if we had said we were job-hunting but we were advised to keep schtum!!!

Maggie

that's really good news the OH is a painter & decorator & I think it will be easier for him to find work if he's out there & can show his skills rather than trying to do it from over here - it's been mentioned to me that I could get a job offer & go out on a temporary work visa & he could follow on once the house is sold but he is reluctant to do that - the only thing that worried him was leaving the dogs behind - it would also give us a chance to see something of the country before decided on what area to settle

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default it can be done!

but, have your own plan,,,,,and be prepared..
    my concern..is ..you'l miss the dogs!

do it for you....dogs I'm afraid have a shorter life than us humans...

BUT, you have to want to live here,

we definately want to move to NZ but are fairly impatient people - if we decide to do something we don't want to wait 6/12 months to do it - as for the dogs we would want to go over have some time travelling around & then look for jobs with the intention of settling out there & as we have no kids our dogs are like our kids & we couldn't bear the thought of them being in kennels for months whilst we sorted ouselves out

Rease is offline Junior Member

Maggie -
    Did OH get job interviews in the Bay of Plenty area with the agencies from Auckland or Wellington? Also, did you have those interviews lined up before you got there, or after you got there? We are planning a visit in November, and are hoping to line up job interviews while we are there. I wasn't sure if it was possible to be able to do that...especially since we are just coming over to visit, and will have to return home to finish with the sale of the house. OH is also in IT, but we are hoping for a job near Wanaka or Twizel....or if we have to, CC or QT.
    EOI Submitted 9/6/07!!
    EOI *Selected* on 9/11/07!!
    Visiting CC, Queenstown & surrounding areas in Nov.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hey.

On the selling up and going issue- that is what we are doing and with two young children so could be quite a nightmare with no permanent base but NZ is what we want.

OH is also in IT so we are hoping he will be able to find work fairly quickly and apply for our PR whilst in NZ. (will probably do medicals in NZ also as I have heard they are much cheaper).

We will be heading to Wellington- seems to have most carrear opportunities for IT Project Management.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Rease is offline Junior Member

Wow -- what a great idea to do medicals in NZ. Do you know what the turn-around time is if you have them done there?
    EOI Submitted 9/6/07!!
    EOI *Selected* on 9/11/07!!
    Visiting CC, Queenstown & surrounding areas in Nov.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast