Thread: Best Removal Company

NZGirl is offline Junior Member

Default Best Removal Company

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to ask those who have made the journey and used removal companies who they found were the best, my plane ticket is booked and we leave in 7 weeks time so need to find a removal company, would love to hear your feedbacks.

thanks,

NZGirl
    New Zealand Ladies Fashion get the latest gossip

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I think the most populars ones are (not in any order) Crown, PSS, Allied Pickfords and Whites. A member has had problems with Bargate, and I recall two or three have had problems with Anglo Pacific. Most folks have the odd item broken or missing, we've had no problems with getting compensation from both Crown and Allied Pickfords.

At the end of the day, it is how professional the removal men are feeling on the day they pack/freight your stuff!
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Hi Glenda,

Thank you for your feedback.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

We used Allied Pickfords on the way out, and unfortunately we had quite a few problems with them (loads of our stuff was left behind in a warehouse in Wiltshire when it should have come out to NZ in a shared container (we had too much for a 20ft container, but not enough to warrant the expense of a 40ft) - quite a lot of the stuff that did arrive was damaged by being badly packed in the boxes and the container, as none of the boxes were clearly marked as to whether they included fragile items.

So personally I wouldn't recommend them, but I know others have used them with no problems. We had 5 quotes I think (PSS, Britannia, Anglo-Pacific, Pickfords and Bargates) and went with Pickfords as they seemed to be the most professional outfit, though they didn't give us the cheapest quote, and they are an international company so don't sub-contract the NZ delivery part. I would also highly recommend shopping around for marine insurance - we used Letton Percival rather than taking Pickfords own insurance, they charged something like 1.53% of the total value of the shipment rather than the 3% that Pickfords wanted so that saved us around 900 GBP. Other thing is that its always worth haggling with the removal companies over the cost that they quote, I think we got them down about 500GBP but probably could have done better.

Good luck with getting your quotes - I know Zummerzet_Lou and Banjo.Jon are just getting quotes in now for their move too, you should compare notes.

Hope this is some help

Maggie

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Hiya,

as Maggie said, PSS came to visit us on Thursday. Their estimator was lovely, extremely knowledgable and seemed professional.

Only took about an hour, and due to our musical instruments, and that we didn't have enough for a 20ft container, suggested one of their insulated ones - normally used for refridgerated stuff which should help keep the temperature a little more constant - think it was 18ft due to having thicker internal walls?

Still waiting for our written quote, but with packing, container, shipping, and unpacking he said it would be ?3k +/- ?100.

The best bit was not only did he say I can keep my dresser (Jon has been looking for every excuse to get rid of it!), he can also take his canoe that he's beenn building for nearly 2 years! Only trouble is, he's not got to finish it before we ship it!!

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Hi Maggie,

thanks for your feedback, are you living in Tauranga? Thats the part of NZ i am looking at. Are the woman into fashion and appearances there? The reason I ask is that i am a image consultant.
    So excited about moving i just wish i was there already. What airline did you fly with?

Hi Lou,

Good news about your dresser! I am going to get 3 quotes in, i will need a 20ft container, wish i could just part with my stuff would be alot less stressful.......
    when are you leaving and what part of NZ are you moving to?

Look forward to hearing back.