Thread: Hello - and a question about sponsorship...

Muddy Boots is offline Junior Member

Question Hello - and a question about sponsorship...

We live on the North Island having immigrated here in April 2005 for a job. We want to bring my parents (68 & 74 years) over to live near us in NZ. We will have had 3 yrs PR April 2008 and there are no centre of gravity issues having only one brother in the UK. I've tried to go through all relevant threads, as well as the NZIS website but cannot find similar questions - therefore I'd be really keen for some advice on:
    • whether Mum and Dad can apply while in NZ on a visitors visa or visa extension and hence come this summer
    • whether recent heart surgery (to repair a leaky valve damaged by a random infection) and mild diabetes are likely to be an issue
    • the sort of timeframes to expect with sponsorship

Mum and Dad have good pensions (UK & Irish) and savings and are thus financially independant, we have also just bought a plot of land on their behalf. However, we both earn high salaries, have a home large enough to house them and are willing to do anything to get them here. Is there anything else we need to be mindful of? Or are there are ways of short-cutting the 3 yr PR rule (probably not!) - I know we were recently trying to attract a top Canadian candidate to work for us and were told that in order to short-cut NZIS timeframes we'd need to speak to the relevant government minister?

Thanks in advance for any advice

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Muddy Boots,

to the forum.

You won't be able to sponsor your parents until after April, 2008. With regard to the medical problems, NZIS is most concerned about people who 'would be a burden on the NZ heath system i.e. need ongoing and costly treatment. If your father has had problems but they are sorted now and/or can be controlled purely with medication, I wouldn't think there would be a problem. In some cases he could apply for a medical waiver if it's going to look as though he'll have difficulties getting in otherwise. I would assume they could come out on Visitors' Visas before that time and apply from there.

I've heard of some parents getting PR within a few months, but, as with everything to do with NZIS, it all depends on individual circumstances.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Muddy Boots is offline Junior Member

Smile Thank you!

Thanks for the kind welcome and encouraging comments!

We were worried about Mum & Dad coming over on a visitors visa and then being turned down for PR for medical reasons. I hadn't thought about the length of time it may take to make such a decision - I suppose worse case scenario they'd have to return to the UK if NZIS hadn't made up their mind by the end of their visa. It is difficult to plan without knowing what the risks or timeframes are! I may try and make an appointment with NZIS to pre-empt any potential issues we might encounter.

Thanks again for the advice!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Boots View Post
    We were worried about Mum & Dad coming over on a visitors visa and then being turned down for PR for medical reasons.
    Yes, this is always a worry, even if people aren't aware of any existing medical problems at the time of the medicals. Sometimes they suddenly arise out of the tests that are performed for the medicals and tend to throw a spanner in the works. As prospective 'parents-to-be-sponsored' we also worry about this, but can only push forward with our plans when the apppropriate time arises and hope for the best. It's not having a health problem that bars you, it's whether said problem will be a burden on the health service. Here's a link to a previous post that gives some info on the subject.

At least, if your parents come on Visit Visas and then find they can't proceed because of health restrictions, at least they will have had a holiday with you. Unless they can apply for and be granted a waiver, the only option then would be for them to come out to you for 6 months of the year on VVs and return to the UK for the remaining 6. If they choose carefully, they could have two summers every year. Of course, this situation would be governed by their financial situation i.e. whether they could afford the tickets and also be willing to undertake such long flights every year.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.