Thread: Car buying advice?

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default Car buying advice?

Any words of wisdom before I start looking? Am I going to get screwed no matter what, as I would in the US, or is car buying different here, too?

Our house happens to be within a km of about 100 different used car lots--and that's no exaggeration. Should I just put on my hiking boots and hit them all? Should I search around on AutoTrader (cars on TradeMe seem to be very dear)? Or should I take up the offer of the guy who runs the car rental agency we're using and let him call some wholesalers and find me one?

Argh!
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Not sure how different it is from the US, but when you buy a car from a dealer here, you are protected under the Consumer Guarantees Act, so if there's a problem within 90 days, the dealer is liable for repairs (provided you didn't cause the problem!). TradeMe is over-rated for cars, private sellers try to acheive dealership prices, only you have no come back. Buying privately can also mean buying someone elses problems! Most cars I've gone to see on Trademe have been fit for scrap, but you never know your luck!

Getting the rental guy to find you one from a wholesaler could be OK, because depending on the wholesaler, the vehicle will have just gone through import compliance, which checks a lot more things than your average WOF. There again though, no comeback if there's anything majorly wrong.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

duane1x is offline Member

KH have you looked at Welcome to Turners Auctions

Also you might get some piece of mind by going with their certified cars. In addition to getting some warranty time, I do think the dealer puts their better cars into their certified program.

Thanks for the advice, Taffy and Duane. I guess it's pretty much fundamentally like it is in the US--buyer beware!

Duke is offline Senior Member

I remember seeing and ad for a 84 chevy silveraldo for 12000, and a beamer right next to it for 4000...wierd prices, I would think picking a popular car in NZ would work fine. I saw a BMW 1-series at Larnarch Castle, it was sweet!

I won't go into too many details about how I acquired it, but I was able to land a nice Toyota Camry Gracia cheap, thanks to Brent from the car rental agency. As he said, it's all about who you know. ;)

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiHopeful View Post
    I won't go into too many details about how I acquired it, but I was able to land a nice Toyota Camry Gracia cheap, thanks to Brent from the car rental agency. As he said, it's all about who you know. ;)
    Mate, was that the nice silver one with roof rails or did you have to give that one back?

The silver one when back. The one I've acquired is 2 models up from it, with a 2.5 V-6 and a moon roof. I think it looks more like a station wagon that a grandpa would drive, though--you know, the kind like when we were kids we could sleep in the back!

You'll probably get to see it today. Evan keeps asking about Poncho, who in his absence has become his 'best friend ever.'