View Poll Results: Would you like regular pre-arranged chatroom times?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i'm up for that!

8 80.00%
  • Not really bothered, rather just go in when I can.

1 10.00%
  • Nah, wont catch me in a chat room

0 0%
  • George W Bush for re-election!

1 10.00%

Thread: Regular organised chats in the chatroom?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Regular organised chats in the chatroom?

To make better use of the chatroom, and to feed ebiancas thirst for chat (), who would like to see regular arranged times for chatting?

More importantly, if they were arranged would you use it?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Sounds like an excellent idea! Of course, we are all scattered around the world but three or four set times a day for a chatmeet should concentrate our attention to the facility.

I vote yes!
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I don't know how easy it would be to organise everyone within specific time frames as things crop up and people are too busy or unavailable for a chat. A chat takes time whereas you can whizz in and out of the forum quite quickly if pressed for time. Setting times would give people something to focus on though, if they are interested in using the chatroom, and it would make it more of a feature if people knew a meet was going to happen at a certain time. Interested parties could make themselves available if they want to participate.

Personally I'm not sure how I'd cope with more than one or two people in there as I always seem to prepare a message and it pops up about 6 messages later and everyone is wondering what the hell I'm on about. Don't know if I'm too slow or what (I am a trained typist, so it's not that). It could be partly because this chatroom often holds onto my messages for several seconds before I see them come up on the screen (if they come up at all) and my typing seems to be in slow motion. Guess that's down to my user-unfriendly Internet speed

I also find it easy to miss what other people have said because I was typing at the time. For some reason I find MSN and Yahoo messengers much easier to cope with. Don't know why, but could be because that runs faster than the chatroom does.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

It is very difficult when there are too many people in a chatroom ... but it is unlikely to happen too often.

From what I have observed, if there is a lot of people in a chatroom, it is usual to treat the chatroom like a physical 'social gathering' whereas you chat to one or two people in particular and then move onto someone else when their conversation is relevent to you, or allow someone else into the group's conversation. You have to read but ignore other's typed conversations in order to reply to your 'group'.

Rambling on now ... too near bedtime.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

I will drop in around 0930 UK time (2030 NZ time, I think) on Friday if anyone would care to join me

Sal

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I'm up for it, though it all depends on when. I'd have to learn about chat rooms, being ignorant about them so far. As with MB, I'd have to fight my training in typing coherent sentences that take me 5 minutes to compose.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

What would 9.30 GMT be in your neck of the woods, Selchie?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Let's see, we're on PDT right now, which I think is -7 hrs GMT. If I have that right, 9:30 GMT = 2:30 PST. Way past my bedtime and way before my getting up time.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

So, perhaps there should be 09:30, 17:30 and 22:30 GMT chat times? That should cater for all zones!
    Taffy