Thread: wall and floor tiling

paul + beccie is offline Junior Member

Default wall and floor tiling

hi everyone this is my first thread.
    Im after some advise, I am a self employed wall and floor tiler in the UK and would love to move to NZ with my wife and three young children but to do this i think i need an employment sponsor, So can anyone tell me of any tiling firms that they know of so i can email them . Allso where would be the best place to live for the trade that i do ?.
    Many thank,
    Paul and beccie.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Paul and Beccie,

A big welcome to MoveToNZ.

You could start your search for tilers in the NZ Yellow Pages . Just enter something like Tilers, Tile Laying Installation etc. in the first box and leave the second blank. You might be able to sort out a few from there. Click under the ads where it says ?Email? or ?Website? and you should be able to contact them to make enquiries. A lot of them are suppliers, but I assume at least some of them employ tilers. I would think the best places to look for work would be where the most building sites are, so maybe around the outskirts of most cities or large towns.

I don?t know how popular tiling is in NZ as a lot of the older houses have wooden floors which may be too flexible for tiling and the walls are often gib board. Perhaps some of our NZ residents can fill in the blanks. A couple have had new houses built in the last year so they might have had this kind of work done.

You would initially have to work for someone else until you get residency, but it would be open to you to start your own company, if you so wished, after this time. I can?t see tiler on either the Long Term Skills Shortages List (LTSSL) or the Immediate Skills Shortages List {ISSL) but it does appear on here so you could apply either directly for PR or get a Work Permit and work your way to PR.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Guys,

Another good place to check for jobs is with developers. People like Golden Homes, Platinum Homes etc who develop large scale areas sometimes look to take on skilled people.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Some of the city building companies may have their own tradesmen, but the Jennians/Sovereign/David Reed companies around here use subcontractors.

I would guess that an increasing percentage (maybe around 50%?) of new houses are now built on a concrete slab and have floor and wall tiles fitted to some areas of the house. They did an excellent job in our new home.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

paul + beccie is offline Junior Member

thanks for the advise i will give that a go .
    many thanks again,
    paul and beccie