Thread: Stupid question

Ruth is offline Junior Member

Cool Stupid question

Here's a stupid question for you, I have just immigrated from South Africa, we applied for permanent residence, before we left that country. It has now been approved, but before I can get mine I have to write the ielts exam, I hear that it is only if english is your second language, so here is my problem. I speak, read write and think in english, just like all english speaking people, so I can not find a place that will let me just write the exam, as I do not need to do a course or anything like that. I am english for crying out loud. I live in Whangarei, anybody know where I could go to sit this exam?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

That's not a stupid question at all!

How come they are making you do an IELTS exam? Usually you don't have to if English is your native and primary language. If NZIS insist, the NZQA should be able to point you to a provider who will permit you to do the assessment only. I would definitely argue the case with NZIS first though.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Ruth,

Perhaps you could contact these people to ask about your situation. It would be a waste of their time teaching you English and a waste of your money undergoing the process. The below mentioned polytechnic is a testing centre for IELTS so hopefully they should be able to give you some advice.

Northland Polytechnic
    IELTS Administrator
    Private Bag 9019
    Whangarei
    Tel: 00 64 9 459 8777
    Fax: 00 64 9 459 8781
    Email: jhartles@northland.ac.nz
    Web: NorthTec is the Leading Tertiary Education Provider in Northland

See what they say in here about having an English-speaking background.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.