Thread: Hello all

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Hello all

Hi all,

I have not been on the forum for a while so I am posting this to keep everyone updated about myself and my wife in Wellington.

We are doing fine here and enjoyed everyday pretty much, some days can get quite yucky and fustrating but generally all's good. We are still in awe of the beautiful landscapes NZ has to offer and the friendly folks.

We are still renting at the moment but endeavour to buy our propery soon hopefully before end of the year. We do not have much deposit, perhaps not enough but we are determined to get a place we can own and not getting thru the hassles of dealing with the landlord.

The main drving factor to buy our own even with the high interests stems from our dealings with the current landlord. Too many times issues with the house took too long to rectify and at times, same issue came back again and again. Usual excuses from the landlord is "we cannot rush the plumber to fix that, they have other issues to handle". Come on! We are paying the rent and the landlord is paying the guy to come and fix the issue, and at a premium price. Why does the landlord has to give in to the plumber. Anyway, too many issues have occurred in this rental property that we think it is better we get a place of our own.

Work is still fine, not too busy or free, pace is just right. Wife will start looking for a job and with her income, we can get a place comfortable.

Take care and will post soon!

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome back, Pulsarblu It's good to hear that you are loving living in Welly, though it's too bad the landlord is reluctant to fix problems. Good luck with finding your very own home.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Pulsarblu,

Life can't be too bad if you are pretty much enjoying every day!

Landlords! It seems they are all similarly reluctant to do anything to their investments. Mine was just as bad and I ended up paying for repairs myself rather than get quotes and send them on to the landlord to make a decision. Since I moved into my own home, they now ignoring my request for the bond to be returned. Fortunately, it is held with the NZ Department of Building and Housing and they do eventually return it, even without the landlord's consent.

Good luck with your house hunting. Hope you find somewhere comfortable and warm.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

It sounds like a guide to tenant's rights and responsibilities & other rental info would be useful on site. ...Unless there is something and I just haven't noticed
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I think I may have already put this somewhere, but here it is again. There's links on the right hand side to cover most tenancy concerns.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Pulsarblu,

Hope you get a nice place soon with no landlords! They are certainly different here to England anyway, although ours are quite good at fixing things luckily!
    Nice to hear from you and that you're both okay,
    Sebra and family

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pulsarblu View Post
    Too many times issues with the house took too long to rectify and at times, same issue came back again and again. Usual excuses from the landlord is "we cannot rush the plumber to fix that, they have other issues to handle".
    Yes, sounds just like here. The landlords just hate having to put their hands in their pocket to pay for repairs, despite charging horrendous rents for the properties. Our landlady always gets one of her brothers or her hubby to do the repairs wherever possible, usually after a very long wait and several reminders. None of them are qualified and the work they do seems to need redoing again a few months later. Hubster told her, as she'd recently put the rent up, that we now wanted qualified people to do all the repairs but it never happened. It's still well and truly a family affair. It's got that we just live with most of the leaks and problems because it's too much hassle waiting around for someone to come.

I think, in your case, Pulsarblu, I'd be saying to the landlord 'Well, I'll find a plumber myself who can come now and send the bill to you'.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.