Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An emotional couple of days--movers, last day at school

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default An emotional couple of days--movers, last day at school

Thursday the movers came and packed everything up, then came back on Friday to load the truck. I was very lucky, as the guys were terrific--very personable, efficient, and very, very hardworking. At the end, my 20' container was about 85% full and I was kicking myself that I had given my father-in-law back his kayak, since it would have fit ...

So after watching all of my worldly goods go into a metal box, where they will live for the next 75 days, I had to pick up my sons at daycare. Oh boy ...

Evan has been at the same center since he was 6 months old, so it's been about 4 1/2 years with many of the same staff and a group of 4 kids who have been with him the whole time. Connor, too, has been there his whole shorter life. Let me tell you, the teachers were crying, I was crying ... and they were fine. It was tough though, because I know the staff there love them almost as much as I do.

Their teachers gave each of them a scrapbook with pictures of their friends, and it was absolutely wonderful to see how well they know my sons. Each book reflected them perfectly, with all of those little things that as a parent I notice, but never thought anyone else took notice of. I can't even look at them, though, because even just thinking about them makes me tear up.

So today it's wrapping up the cleaning in the house, and tomorrow we sign all the papers to close on the house, then it's on the road until we fly out on July 24th.

Honestly, I'm surprised by how I've felt about all of this. I'm not one to get misty-eyed and I am *totally* happy to be going to NZ. I guess it's more about feeling like I'm ripping my sons out of this comfortable little life we've created for them here--and more about the issues from my own childhood that this move shines a harsh light on.

Sorry ... didn't mean to get all maudlin. (That's supposed to be a funny crying guy ... like one of those stupid velvet paintings of a crying clown or something ...)
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Awww KH, it's all coming to the end of the road now (well, end of the old road, beginning of the new!). I'm sure your children will thank you that you that you took them from that childhood comfort zone as they will have a great life in NZ. Actually, they probably wont thank you as at that age, they most likely wont even remember it!

Good luck with life on the road until the move day
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Oh dear KH, difficult times for you and for those who've already made the break from their 'old' lives before you. I guess it just means that you're human and have feelings - it would be a bit worrying if you didn't. There will no doubt be a bit more of that to come yet before you finally fly off to your new life, so just accept it for what it is - natural.

Once you get on that plane the excitement will build and you'll be moving forward at last. Seems so odd when 'old timers' are about to take the giant step. We've been used to them being in one place all this time and suddenly they're going off to set up a new life in another place.

Hope your last days in the US are good and happy ones.

Guess it's going to be quiet on here with several people packing up and preparing to leave. Good luck to you all.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I feel for you KH mate As MB says though, completely natural to be having these feelings but you're doing what feels right in your heart for you and your kids, so good on ya

Here's hoping your last few weeks in the US goes by quickly and not too emotionally!

All the best to you and yours and we'll hopefully see you when you get here at some point

Have a safe journey and a happy life

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

It's completely understandable that you would become emotional right before such a big move. ( - no "Mr. Hankie" is not comic - he shows the feeling so well.) So many aspects of your life are changing, and so many good people to say goodbye to. It's so sweet that the teachers gave the boys such wonderful parting gifts.

Best wishes in the next phase. I hope you find time now and again to say hello to those of us in the forum.

Time to get excited now
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Thank you all! I wanted to share that experience because I really didn't think it would happen--I thought I was going to be immune to the emotional tsunami that overtook me. I'm happy to be leaving, and believe me I will be excited once all the cleaning and paperwork are done.

I knew you would all understand. Thanks for that.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If it's any consolation to you KH, men who show their emotions i.e. release pent up feelings, are less likely to suffer heart attacks. Well, that's what they say.

Here, have a tissue on me.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

firing1 is offline Member

Hey KH,
    I remember that time of taking the kids away from their friends and grandparents and the guilt that I felt as well. I also remember getting tearful after we had arrived in NZ even though we were loving the excitement of setting up our new life. It's an emotional rollercoaster but as Taffy said our kids have a great life in NZ and we all adjusted to life here fine. It takes time and can be scary but it all comes good in the end just stay focused and positive.

Paul

johnty is offline Senior Member

good on you KH ,
    its got to be a killer that,i know where you are coming from with the stable life you have made for the kids then to take them out of that.
    but you have done your research, and the next part is going to make you think you should have done it sooner
    all the best
    Tom and Ally

Again, thank you all! The great measure of joy that I feel mixed with the little sadness is due in no small part to all of you here. The support that I've felt here certainly convinced me that this is *ultimately* the right choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast