Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you willing to go 'On Air'?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Question Are you willing to go 'On Air'?

Hi All,

Anyone out there willing to participate in the radio? Would you do an interview? Record a quick hello to fellow MoveToNZers?

The radio will be officially launched on 1st July, after which we'll be adding the content a bit at a time. A program schedule will also be posted so you know when to tune in for specific shows. It would be great to have some input from you guys though, so anything you're willing to do, just let me know!!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Once we get settled in, I'd love to.

I'm curious, what software are you using to create the stream?

Also, have you thought about making the interviews, etc. available as podcasts? There seems to be desperately little from NZ available out there.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiHopeful View Post
    I'm curious, what software are you using to create the stream?
    I'll PM you the details as there's a lot of it

I can certainly make the interviews available as Podcasts, if there's interest in them.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Taffy, hey that sounds fun!!
    So much happens round here when I've been 'away' for a little while ;-)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Speaking as the world's worst technophobe (is that the right word?), I've done my bit and recorded a little snippet, so you have advance warning to either turn your radio off or crank down the volume .

Taffy sent me an email with a link to download the recording programme. It looked a bit technical in places but all you need is the set of buttons for Record, Stop and Play etc. I got into trouble because I was clicking the Pause button instead of Stop so it wasn't working properly. You can have trial runs and can see the graph come up underneath to show it's recording. Make sure the volume setting is well up so the recording isn't too quiet. I prepared my 'speech' in advance so I could just read it rather than having to fumble for words. It was just a quick 'Hello' so easy enough.

When you've had a few attempts and are happy with the result (just highlight the graph you want to play by clicking into it, click on Play and you can hear yourself) you can delete those you don't want by highlighting them and selecting Delete from the top menu (forget which one). I found I still had the empty box left though. I saved one file but not sure if this is really necessary as, when I clicked on File at the top and selected Export as... or Export Selection (I think) it saved all my files in the WAV format. What you're aiming for is to save it as a WAV file which can be attached to a normal email and sent to Taffy. Luckily when I went to browse for my attachment it brought up the box where the files (I'd made a couple) were stored and just clicked on the ones I wanted to attach. My files were only about 1.5 to 2 MB to give you some idea of size.

Anyone wanting to have a go, I'll be pleased to talk you through it (although I can't promise not to confuse you even more). Hey, it's a learning experience, so grab it and earn yourselves a few minutes of fame.

When I've got a moment (having spent half the morning fumbling with this) I might try to go through the whole thing again (sucker for punishment) and log down each move so I can list them on here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Go the Bear!

Now none of you have any excuse
    Taffy

Blog Entries

I’ve run through the process again and it was a bit simpler this time, now I’ve got some idea of which way is up.

If you so request, you will be sent a link by email or maybe even by PM and clicking on this link will take you to a download page. This is the programme which will enable you to record, save and export your message. I saved it to my desktop so I knew where it was. The only equipment you’ll need is a microphone (preferably plugged into your PC/laptop ) and maybe a stiff G & T or rum.

When you open the page there is a panel with the sort of buttons you’ll be familiar with, Pause, Play, Stop, Record and 2 buttons to go to Start and End. You should only need the Record, Stop and Play buttons. You can open out the panel to full page view if you prefer.

Before starting, prepare what you want to say on a piece of paper so you can just relax when you read it out loud and, maybe, have a little practice before the main event. Perhaps, to begin with, you’d just like to broadcast a short message of greetings to other forum users, which should be easy enough, and be sure to include your username and where you’re speaking from. If you feel confident enough, adding a bit about yourself and your future plans would be good. It depends on your connection speed as to how long it will take to attach the file to your email so bear this in mind when recording a lengthy bit of prose.

When you’re ready to begin recording, make sure anything that involves volume control is turned well up. I haven’t been able to decide exactly what it was that I did to get a good loud recording as I had both quiet and loud ones and fiddled about a bit. To start the recording just click on the Record button and you’ll see a long box appear underneath with a travelling blue line. This is the time to speak your piece and you should see the blue graph forming as you speak. When you’ve finished click on the Stop button. That’s it for the recording bit, now you can listen to the result. Double click into the box to highlight it and then click Play. You should hear your recording play back. You can repeat this process several times until you are happy with it.

There’s other ‘toys’ you can play with like cutting bits off and moving the end lines about if you want to experiment. Each time you make a recording a new box will open underneath the last one. If you want to get rid of any that didn’t work out, click on the X next to Audio Track at left.

When you’re happy with a recording, click on File at the top and Save Project. I had a message come up about the file being saved but other programmes might not be able to open it. This is OK and is when you need to click on Export and, hopefully, it should bring up a little box Export File and at the bottom of it, it should say Save as file WAV, AIFF etc. After you’ve given the file a name and clicked Save you can open up your email Compose box, click on the attachment icon and, with a bit of luck, when you click to Browse, the box containing your file should pop up with your file in there. Click on the file and it should attach itself to your email, which can then be forwarded to Taffy’s inbox.

Taffy, perhaps you can ‘tinker’ with this explanation if you feel I haven’t got something quite right or you can add something to it?

I hope, after all this, someone will step forward and have a go. If you're thinking of taking the huge step of settling on the other side of the world and everything that goes with it, I should think recording a little piece for the radio would be a breeze. Now is the time to make sweeping changes in your life, so add another notch to your belt by guesting on MoveToNZ Radio. Once you get going it's quite fun and something you can do in the privacy of your own home. And, for once, they can't touch you for it.
    Mother Bear

Laura is offline Junior Member

Hi Taffy,

I'm happy to give it a go - although I must warn you that I am not the most technically minded person!!! Its always good to try something new though, and if it helps someone out along the way then thats even better.

Just let me know what I have to do and I'll give it my best shot!

Laura

Blog Entries

Hurray for Laura!

I'm sure Taffy will be pleased as everyone appears to be a little microphone-shy at the moment. Not sure if Taffy's settled down for the night by now so I'll PM you the relevant link and you can have a play with it. Then, tomorrow, perhaps he can contact you to let you know where to send it. You can maybe practice with a greeting, as I did, not forgetting to say who you are or perhaps you'd like to say a few words about your thoughts on living in NZ. I think, for an interview, you may need a Skype connection, but I'm sure Taffy will enlighten you if you let him know that's what you want to do. All contributions will be gratefully received.

Anyone else want to have a play? No obligation to submit your offering, but it might give you some idea of how the system works.
    Mother Bear

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Me, me me!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast