Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish I would have bought..........with me!

Brucey is offline Junior Member

Default I wish I would have bought..........with me!

There are a few things that I would bring, not bring and do if I knew the things I know now.........

Slippers (trust me you will need them).......... can't seem to find any that aren't cheap and nasty

Blankets for extra warmth over your duvet.......they seem to be really expensive over here.

Go visit your dentist.......they cost a fortune over here, kids don't get free dental treatment and if your kids need braces you are looking at roughly $5000!!!!!!

Wait to buy your household stuff once you get here...........if you need to renew something ie. washing machine, TV your money will go alot further over here.

Sort out your tax rebate........trying to get your rebate from the UK tax guys when living in the UK is one thing but try doing it on the other side of the world.

Go mad at the your last Next sales........Me personally I am finding it difficult to find good quality clothes unless I am willing to spend a fortune on labelled stuff. Any good stores I have missed?

Wait to buy your trainers and crocs until you get here.......mega cheap crocs ?15 and nike trainers (latest model) ?50.

Don't be lazy and leave your garden stuff behind cause you can't be bothered to clean it for customs........garden stuff seems to be expensive here whether it be garden furniture, lawn mowers to spades.

And if you have spare room in your container fill it with toilet rolls (you will know what I mean when you get here), radiators, paint, marmite, and walkers crisps.

Anyone else want to add to my list???
    Kiwis in Training

ShellBda is offline Oh Masterful One

Quote Originally Posted by Brucey View Post
    And if you have spare room in your container fill it with toilet rolls (you will know what I mean when you get here),
    Not sure if I can wait until I get there to ask about the toilet rolls! I am a 2 ply girl! So, please break it to me gently.
    God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

RedAlligator is offline Member

shoes! I have really small feet and am a half size and they just dont seem to do half sizes here so I really really struggle getting shoes that fit.

Whats wrong with the toilet paper? I have been here a while now and not sure whats wrong with it? May be I have been here so long, have got used to it!!

moggy is offline God like figure

And if you have spare room in your container fill it with toilet rolls (you will know what I mean when you get here), radiators, paint, marmite, and walkers crisps
    Why?
    NZ crisps are just as good, walkers are available in some stores anyway, toilet rolls are pretty well the same as UK ones, radiators are no point bringing unless you have a wet back on your logburner (most don't but we do) and marmite (the UK type) is available in all pak n save and countdown stores.

NZ is not the end of the earth.

But don't leave anything behind if you are bringing a container, you will just have to replace it and a lot better to replace stuff when it wears out rather than all in one go.

White goods, if you are comparing to UK prices are slightly more expensive over here, so bring your old washing machine and TV (yes it will work fine in NZ)

Slippers are easy to find and there are loads of really nice sheepskin ones in a variety of styles, or you could treat yourself to some possum fur ones.

Don't bother stocking up on clothing, everyone here goes casual no matter where you are so posh togs will be a waste of money.

As for your tax rebate, just download the form from the Inland revenue website and post it to them. They will pay the money direct into your UK bank account and then you use your UK cash card to with draw the cash will cost you about 1 pound for the deal.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    NZ is not the end of the earth.
    Yes it is! Well, it is the farthest you can get from the UK.

I think it really depends where you live in NZ as to what you can buy. Obviously, if you live in or near one of the big cities there is a lot more to choose from. Where I live I have to travel a long way to get anything other than, for example, slippers from The Warehouse ... and they rarely last the season. Do miss half-size shoes also.

You do get used to the food here, eventually, depending on your level of tolerance. UK Marmite is sold as 'Our Mate' here and there are quite a few brands of crisps to go through and find a new favourite to Walkers. Miss Twiglets and Instant Horlicks though.

Definitely go to the dentist if you have to. My daughter's braces cost over $6,000 and she had to have four teeth out, another $500. My eldest son has just had a spell at the dentist - $700. It is really scary.

You can get cheap blankets and towels from places like The Warehouse ... just don't put them in with your other laundry, unless you like the 'speckled' look.

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Brucey is offline Junior Member

I was just going off my own experiences and what I (personally) would of bought with me if I did it again! Wasn't expecting to get shot down about my own thoughts!!!!!!!
    NZ Crisps - each to their own tastes!!!!
    Have to argue the fact that toliet rolls over don't seem to last as long, so either not as much paper on the roll or my toilet habits have changed.
    Marmite - had to check on the marmite website to ask myself why I thought the marmite here is different. Marmite ingredients (made in the UK) is
    Yeast Extract
    Salt
    Vegetable Extract
    Vitamin: Niacin
    Spices
    Vitamins: B1, B2, Folic Acid, B12
    Marmite made from NZ ingrediants is:
    Yeast
    Sugar
    Salt
    Wheatgerm Extract
    Mineral Salt (508)
    Color (Caramel)
    Herbs
    Spices
    Vitamins: Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin
    I haven't seen the UK type marmite in any pak'n'save??????
    I obviously haven't been looking in the right places for slippers.
    Tax rebate - awesome thanks for that info, I will be visiting the website tonight.

Everyone has different thoughts and live differently, these were my own "wish I had bought". I think some people got the impression that I was being negative about NZ, but as you will see from my post in the "Introductions" that we are loving it. Just thought it would be good let people know of our experiences and thoughts!!!!! Obviously not because you will get shot down if someone disagrees!!!!!
    Kiwis in Training

RedAlligator is offline Member

IHave to argue the fact that toliet rolls over don't seem to last as long, so either not as much paper on the roll or my toilet habits have changed.
    Ah ha, got you now. My OH is always going on about the loo paper disappearing really quickly and he was blaming my toilet habits!!!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone was shooting you down Brucey. As you say, it's personal tastes and as Glenda mentioned, a lot of things depend on where you live, where you shop and your own tastes. I'm with you on quite a few points, although must admit Marmite isnt appealing in any form
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast