Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical registration

Alison is offline Member

Default Electrical registration

Due to us being complete muppets and some confusion we had not realised that my husband who is a Mechanical/Electrical Fitter had to arrange registration before we could get our visas approved. We had spoken to the company he will be working for and they had said that in the future if it was needed they would train him up to get registration and as he is not actually an electrician we did not think he required registration regardless, stupid of us as we obviously misunderstoof what they said and should have checked into it in more depth .... as I said muppets!

Immigration phoned us today and said everything was fine with our applications, but he needs to get registered before they can approve the visas, so we are now stuck with trying to arrange a provisional license for my husband, preferably as quickly as possible as with the house sale completing on 8th June we dont want to end up throwing money into rented accommodation for too long

So my question is, is there anyone out there who is in the electrical business who had experience with registration applications who can give us an idea how long their applications too to go through and get documentation back so we can have a rough idea of how long things will take and therefore how long we will be looking to rent, how long before we will be able to re apply for visas etc. I know its only a delay but it is sooo frustrating when everything was going through so well!

Feeling very fed up and very stupid today!!!

Ali
    x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Ali,

So sorry to hear that you've hit a blip. I'm not in the know about electrical registration etc. but I'll throw up these few links to see if they are of any use to you.

ERWB .

This is an old thread from this forum which explains a little and reveals that Johnty off here is an electrician. He’s been around recently so perhaps he can talk you through it. I don't know how often he looks in on us, but we can but hope it'll be soon or perhaps you could send him a PM asking if he'd mind looking at your post. Looks like KC's hubby is also an electrician so perhaps they've got more information together by now, too, as they were looking into the situation in August last year.

I’ve heard that this guy can be very helpful with queries about this sort of thing. Paul.McGrail@med.govt.nz

I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything more. Hope you get sorted soon so you don't have to worry any more.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Alison is offline Member

Thanks MB, that is a useful post definately and gives us a rough idea of what to expect and it was pretty much what we had come up with ourselves apart from it taking quite a few weeks

As it happens next week in London there is someone over doing the safety tuition courses required for a provisional license, we have emailed the guy to see if there are any spaces left and whether we can get my OH booked onto the course and then at least that is one part sorted, we will then just have to arrange documentation of work experience etc and see if we can send the application form to his new employer and whether they will fill out their parts and then send it on to the ERWB for us and then just pray it goes through quickly.

If he cant get on the course next week I am stumped as to how he will do the safety course prior to applying without him having to go over to NZ and do everything over there and then come back and apply for visas Oh well, we are going to phone ERWB tonight and see what we can find out and then will have to get the ball rolling tomorrow, we know its just a delay and we will get over eventually but it we are very frustrated with ourselves especially as we where getting so excited thinking we could be heading over within a few weeks

Ali
    x

(Sorry playing with smilies )

Alison is offline Member

If Johnty does pop his head on I would be really grateful if he could tell us how things went after he spoke to Mr Paul Mcgrail and whether you did have to do the safety tuition course before being able to get your license and overall how long from sending off your application to getting your letter did it take?

Blog Entries

Sorry Ali, haven't really come up with much else of particular help regarding timing.

Only found this about your hubby's hoped-for course, which is no doubt what you know already and won't be of any help but I'll stick it on here anyway.

Nick Chandler of Chandler Consulting Limited will be returning to London during the week of 29th May to run more electricial safety tuition courses.

The one day courses will begin on Tuesday 29th May and run until Friday 1st June. The course lasts for approximately 8 hours and the completion of this course is required for all electricians, electrical, electronic and refrigeration service persons, line mechanics and cable jointers who wish to obtain a New Zealand Electrical Provisional Licence and who are applying for Residency.

Course Content

Introduction
    Briefing on NZ Electricity Regulations and Electricity Supply Systems (TNCS multiple earthed neutral)
    Requirements for Provisional Licences and for obtaining an Electrical Practising Licence
    Supervision Guidelines for Provisional Licences (and completion of documentation)
    Safe Work Practices (relevant to electrical work)
    Basic First Aid (relevant to electrical work)
    CPR (Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation)
    Testing to Ensure Safety (including electrical certificate of compliance)
    Issue of Certificates (Electrical Workers Registration Board Safety Training Card EWLG 632 & 632A)
    General information and questions (as required)

A CD containing the current versions of the Electricity Act, Electricity Regulations, codes of practice, previous exam papers and other documentation will be supplied.

Further information and bookings for the course can be obtained from Nick, via email at:

chandlerconsulting@xtra.co.nz

Let us know how the emailing and phoning goes. If you haven't heard from Johnty or anyone else by tomorrow (bedtime for me now), I'll drop him a PM, if you like, to alert him that his 'expertise' would be appreciated on the forum.

Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Thought I'd have one last go and found this . It comes near the bottom of Entry Requirements.

Once job offer has been received, an application for a Provisional Licence must be submitted. This is completed by both the applicant and employer, fee paid and takes approximately 3 weeks to be approved.
    Mother Bear

Alison is offline Member

Thanks again MB!!! We are just waiting to phone now and dont ya know time is dragging

Yup, we emailed Nick today and there are spaces left next week on the course if needed.

This is what the documentation that Nick emailed to us says if anyone else is or will be looking to register:

The NZ electrician registration process is:-
    1. Submit your City & Guilds (and/or other as applicable) qualifications and a VERY COMPREHENSIVE resume' of your work experience to the Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB) The address is PO Box 10156 Wellington, New Zealand ? attention Mr. Paul McGrail.
    More details can be found at Electrical Workers Registration Board | Home. References from employers (i.e. an electrical supervisor or manager) or electrical inspectors (if you are self employed) must be included, to verify your work experience.

If your qualifications are deemed appropriate you will be exempt the NZ (level 4) electrical theory exam. If not, you may complete the theory training in NZ, BUT this may affect your residency application from the UK.

Your work experience is needed to confirm you have sufficient experience to comply with the requirements for obtaining a NZ Electrician Practising Licence. NOTE - work experience is best documented covering similar information to that shown in Schedule 1 of the Electricity Regulations 1997 ? (see attached document). Further information on the Regulations can be found at - ESS Home (the Energy Safety Services) web site. The required information can be downloaded free of charge.

2. Complete a provisional licence application, which requires the following:-
    - A prospective employer in NZ who can sign the Supervision guidelines section of the application
    - "Safety tuition training": - a series of one-day courses will be available (in conjunction with NZIS - London) during the year.
    - Obtain a copy of the Supervision Guidelines and sign a declaration stating you have read, understood and will comply with the requirements. (I provide this during the training courses)

3. Once 1 & 2 above are completed, and you are in NZ working under your provisional licence, you will need to complete a practical assessment (usually just the stage 3 practical) and the NZ electrical regulations exam. The exams are run in June and November of each year. Course work, including the practical assessment can be done at night school (Polytech) or on block courses.

After all that, you can apply for Registration and a Practising Licence as an electrician. There a few "fish-hooks", such as the provisional licence is only valid for 12 months from the date of issue and it may take longer than that to arrange to move to NZ. The (very helpful) NZIS people and the EWRB can supply more information.

Note - regarding Residency / Work Permit / Work to Residency
    If you are intending to apply for residency, you will need to have submitted your qualifications and work experience to the EWRB, found an employer and completed the safety tuition training course (see below) in order to apply for an electrical provisional licence. Having a provisional licence is one of NZIS requirements when applying for residency.

If however, you intend to come to NZ on a work permit, you do not need do the training in London (thereby saving you some money and time), you can do it in NZ after you arrive.

For those applying for a work to residency visa, you do not need do the training in London, BUT you must have received a letter (of reply) from the EWRB stating that your qualifications and work experience are acceptable and that a provisional licence will be issued once you have an employer and completed the ?safety tuition? course.

So as we are going via the WTR route we may leave doing the safety course until actually in NZ, but we will decide that once we have spoken to EWRB later, as at the moment we are not even sure what class my OH will be looking to register under! He is a Mechanical/Electrical Fitter and the 3 choices are Electrician, Electrical Service Technician, and Line Mechanic so yet another thing to check with the EWRB

? weeks doesnt sound so bad, I guess that will be down to good old Royal Mail and how quickly the postal system works once we can get all the info required together

Ali
    x

johnty is offline Senior Member

hi Ali
    sorry i only just found this thread,it looks as though you have the info already.
    the EWRB took about 6 weeks, mayby a little longer to ascess my quals and work experiance.But with your man having a job offer already this may speed things up it is well worth sending an email or phoneing paul mcgrail.(very helpfull man)
    And as you say if you are not applying for residency then you do not need to attend the safty course at New Zealand house,but i will be going myself on thurs 31st as i think that the more boxes already ticked when i get out there in sept the better the job prospects .and on that point they look quite good for sparkys.
    contact me if there is any other questions i may be a bit more use next time

Alison is offline Member

Thanks Johnty! And good luck on your course next week

Update from us, last night we phoned and spoke to EWRB, another very helpful lady called Natalie and she explained what to do and that the best route is to send in a Assessment form and once they have checked everything out they send a letter back saying you will be accepted for a provisional license which should then satisfy immigration and then the actual license will be sorted out once over in NZ. Bad news is that at the moment it is one of their busiest times of years due to everyone renewing licences etc so its a 6-8 week estimate She wasnt 100% sure what class to register under though with OH not being a fully trained electrician and his job description doesnt really seem to cover any of the classes totally she said to apply under electrician but now we are worried because he's not sure he can qualify as one

Next update: We had emailed OH employer though and over night got a reply saying not to do anything and that he does not require registration for the type of work he will be doing and he is going to get the required information to us to pass onto immigration, hopefully today or tomorrow! Arghhhh so which is right! Please let it be the employer

Ali
    x

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Next update: We had emailed OH employer though and over night got a reply saying not to do anything and that he does not require registration for the type of work he will be doing
    . Well, you'll soon find out when the boss's letter goes in to NZIS. Perhaps he's right and the job your hubby's going to doesn't require registration. Pity they can't make up their minds which way is up. Just hope they can push him through quickly because he's got a job waiting. Worth asking them, anyway.

Good luck to Johnty. I'm sure you'll come through with flying colours.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast