Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airline experiences

Alison is offline Member

Default Airline experiences

Hi again

Well things are progressing along for us now and we lodged our visa applications last Thursday at NZ house and they estimate a turnaround of 5 days so all going well we will get our visas by the end of this week! *crosses fingers* Also with our house sale about to exchange and them wanting to complete in 2 or 3 weeks it could look like we will be heading out to NZ by the end of June all going well.

So once we have the visas back and have exchanged we will be looking to book flights and just wondered if there are any airlines that people really recommend and any that people think we should avoid like the plague Looking online, the cheapest flights seem to be mainly Singapore Airlines and Malaysia Airlines.

Thanks for any advice

Ali
    x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Ali

Fingers crossed that the house sale goes through smoothly and it’ll be plain sailing from there on in. 5 days turnaround for the visa is very good too, so it’s all happening for you now. I bet June will just fly by and you’ll be off.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Asian airlines as they have a pretty good reputation. We’ve flown with both Thai Air and Malaysia Airlines. albeit was from here and not from the UK, but I guess the service would be the same. Thai Air was quite a bit cheaper for us than Malaysia Airlines { long story ), but the service was about the same standard. Singapore Airlines seems to always be rated highly, too, so there’s a few you can choose from. We were lucky in that we had longish stopovers each time, which gave us a break in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, but I don’t know if you’d get the same breaks coming from the UK. I think we had between a minimum of 7 hours to 18 hours with our different flights/airlines and, because the airlines gave us hotels, we could shower, stretch our legs, do a quick sightseeing tour and have a night’s sleep (depending on the length of the stopover). We got back on the plane feeling fresher and never suffered from jet lag when we arrived in NZ. If there’s anything else you want to know about Thai or Malaysia Airlines, ask away. I know there's others on here who have used Singapore, so you might get lucky with some info on that one.

Meanwhile, I’ll drag out my favourite links again for you.
    Check on airline quality
    Look for the best seats.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Singapore airlines - excellent service, generally one of the cheaper airlines and Singapore airport is amazing.
    Air New Zealand - excellent service but we've always found them slightly more expensive. Los Angeles transit lounge is depressing too.
    KLM - in my experience, DON'T GO NEAR THEM! Awful service, miserable staff and no TV's on the plane. The only saving grace for my flight with them was that we stopped at Singapore airport.
    (That's the only airlines we've ever used so can't comment on any others..... )

The longest wait we've had between flights is about 4 hours (apart from a 7 hour wait in Amsterdam to fly to Cardiff!). Personally, I wouldn't like a stopover any longer than a few hours, I'd rather just just get the flight over and done with, but then I had a child with me, so a long stopover for a bit of sightseeing and rest might be nice for others!

Good luck with everything Alison
    Last edited by Welshgirl; 22-05-2007 at 08:33 AM.

bstar is offline Member

hi there!

I agree with the other posts: Singapore airlines is the best. I have flown with them a couple of times now, and had great service with them
    I have also flown Cathay Pacific and BA (stop over in Hong Kong)....BA were great, but Cathay Pacific were awful both from Hong Kong to AK and back. It may have been just bad luck on both flights, but would think twice about flying them again.
    Emirates are great also, but a pain stopping in Dubai, Singapore and sometimes Sydney or Melbourne as well.
    Just a point to make...think twice about buying duty free (liquids) in the UK if you are stopping (even just in transit) via Hong Kong or Singapore. Even though you clear customs in the UK, you have to clear customs again for your second flight....and they take ANY liquids over 100ml off you in HK and Singapore.....REALLY annoying as I bought perfume in Heathrow...and they took it off me in HK. Also, I saw this happen to people in Singapore a few weeks ago...and clearly they were very annoyed!!!! I don't know how much longer this no liquids thing will last...but it seems to be everywhere now.

Malaysia airlines are also great (yummy food!)

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Alison,

My ex has travelled to NZ and back to the UK seven times in the last two years, and as a family we have travelled three times in the last four years. Between us we have used several airlines, and rate the experience as
    1. Singapore Airlines,
    2. Emirates,
    3. Air NZ (only experience via LA),
    4. Qantas,
    5. Thai Air,
    6. Cathay.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bstar View Post
    h
    Just a point to make...think twice about buying duty free (liquids) in the UK if you are stopping (even just in transit) via Hong Kong or Singapore. Even though you clear customs in the UK, you have to clear customs again for your second flight....and they take ANY liquids over 100ml off you in HK and Singapore.....REALLY annoying as I bought perfume in Heathrow...and they took it off me in HK. Also, I saw this happen to people in Singapore a few weeks ago...and clearly they were very annoyed!!!! I don't know how much longer this no liquids thing will last...but it seems to be everywhere now.

I didn't realise it was so widespread. I can see that really knocking duty free sales for six as people just can't afford to buy and then have stuff confiscated. It's very misleading when they say you can buy liquids on the airside of airports if they don't also warn you that it can be taken off you if you change flights in another country. Thanks for the tip off.
    Malaysia airlines are also great (yummy food!)
    Now I didn't like the food that much. More so because we were served big chunks of less than tender meat that involved a lot of elbow bumping while trying to saw it up to bite-size. Didn't like it in the hotel either as all the meat had bits of bone attached which was quite time consuming. I much preferred the food on Thai Airlines and in their hotels, but that's only me.
    KLM? Yes, Welshgirl. Had a lot of experience with them in Syria where it was more or less the only reasonably priced flight out of there that had the full two wings and full complement of wheels. They were notoriously bad for overbooking and bumping people off the flight at the last minute. Seats were quite cramped too and service was nondescript, even in Business Class which I was forced to fly in once in order to get back for my mother's funeral. Still I managed to start my collection of little blue/white ceramic Dutch houses that you get in Business.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hello,

Just trying to catch up on the new posts...

Well we've only flown Malaysian Airlines twice and the first time we were very happy with them and the second we were still happy but the service had slipped a little and the airstewards were less attentive to us and the food wasnt to the standard that we had experienced the year before.

This year we are flying back to the UK and then back to NZ after our wee visit with Korean Airlines. Unfortunately I dont have any experience with them but they were the cheapest when we booked up a couple of months ago.

Good luck with everything!

tia_rhymes is offline Junior Member

My huband and I travelled to NZ with Quantas..... they are a bit pricey most of the time, however I have heard that loads of people are using china airlines mainly because the flights are cheap. I have been told their services are good too.

I'd say check online and when you find a cheap flight.... go to you nearest flight centre and ask them to check it out for you.... You never know... they may find you a cheaper one... just tell them you would like an airline that provides good service too.

Good luck and hope you find a good flight

moggy is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by bstar View Post
    hi there!

Just a point to make...think twice about buying duty free (liquids) in the UK if you are stopping (even just in transit) via Hong Kong or Singapore. Even though you clear customs in the UK, you have to clear customs again for your second flight....and they take ANY liquids over 100ml off you in HK and Singapore.....)
    For Singapore, this is not the case if you are only staying in the transit hotel, you, we had alcohol bought in the UK.

Alison is offline Member

Great! Thanks for all the replies guys, as Singapore consistently seems to be the cheapest it is reassuring to know they are a good airline for when we get to that point of booking Which is going to be delayed now due to something we had overlooked grrrr we are complete muppets!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast