Thread: Money Matters

sarky77 is offline Junior Member

Default Money Matters

Sorry to maybe change the subject slightly, but does being bankrupt in the UK affect you in New Zealand? Can it affect your residency application or work permit?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Hamilton, NZ
    Blog Entries

Hi Sarky,

Welcome to the forum!

I moved your post so it doesn't get confusing!

I think being bankrupt only affects your application if you are looking to establish a business. I believe you still have to declare it on your residency application though, but not for a work permit.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Sarky ,

As Taffy says, it could only be a problem for those who intend setting up a business in NZ as NZIS couldn?t really take the risk of the same thing happening again.

The only thing I could find relating to bankruptcy and immigration was this:

Entrepreneur Category

A category for applicants who have successfully established a business in New Zealand that can be shown to be of benefit to New Zealand. Criteria must be met regarding shareholding and personal employment. Those who have been involved in bankruptcy, fraud or financial impropriety or in a business failure in the last five years may not apply. .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.