Thread: What should i do !! Plz advise !!

revmaster is offline Junior Member

Default What should i do !! Plz advise !!

Hi,

I am planning to study in University of Auckland for ME in Computer Science. Am really confused kindy adivse me of the following:
    1) What are the prospects after studying in New Zealand ?
    2) Is is diffucult to survive in Auckland i have heard few case of people cripping about their stay here, how much one needs to spend monthly while studying ?
    3) Last but most important, how easy is it in getting PR here, i think my qualification after ME will lead me to SMC category.
    4) Can i get work directly in nz without nz qualification, will my Indian degree (BE in ECE) will be acceptable here for work?

Plz Plz advise me as am getting very confused !!!!

Thanks & Regards,
    Rahul

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Rahul,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are hoping to live and work in Auckland after you finish your degree, I would think you would stand a good chance of getting a job there because it?s a big city and, therefore, more IT jobs are available. However, living in Auckland would be more expensive than in many other places because the cost of housing and living is higher there.

How much you would need per month to live on depends on many things e.g. if you are prepared to share accommodation with someone that will cut the cost of accommodation ? even more so if you find several people who will share with you. If you use public transport and don?t need a car, that will save you a lot of money, too. If you budget carefully, you should be able to eat quite well without paying out too much money.

It?s not easy to get PR in NZ unless you have recognised qualifications and/or enough relevant work experience. If you have an Indian qualification you would probably need to have it assessed by the NZ Qualification Authority (NZQA). They will tell you if your qualification will be recognised in NZ and at what level it compares to a NZ qualification. From that, you will see how many points you can get for it.

This is the page on the NZQA site where it tells you about studying and working in NZ and you may find some useful information on there.

This is the Guide and Application Document from the NZQA for assessment of international qualifications.

You can get work in NZ without having a NZ qualification but, if you haven?t got a recognised qualification from another country or enough relevant NZ work experience, your job might not lead you to PR. You may be stuck with working on a Work Permit.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks a ton "Mother Bear" !!!
    I was just wondering will i gain points if a do masters here even if i current education is not accessed by NZQA ?
    How is the IT market in new zealand, is it very difficult to get a job here as i have read some posts where it has been mentioned that nz employers donot take you if you dont have work permit ot PR and the worst part is how does one get WP or PR if there is no one to offer.........

Thanks & regards,
    Rahul

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Thank goodness for you MB, I sat yesterday and typed pretty much what you did then the internet crashed on me and I lost all my post argggg!

Right back onto IT jobs, you can get then here pretty easy even without PR. Hubby and I are both on a Working Holiday Visa and have had no problem getting permy and contract IT work. We've managed to secure jobs in a small town/city called Rotorua and Wellington.

I am sure AKL will have more prospects tho.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

moggy is offline God like figure

IT is demand all over NZ, also if you state on your PR application that you want to go to Christchurch you will get more points - it is an identified cluster. You don't have to go to Christchurch, but the extra points could come in useful

Default Some more ques

Thanks a lot for your kind replies
    1) Do i need to have experience or will i get good opportunities right after my Masters ?
    2) How do i get work permit after Masters, is industry open in recruting foreign students ?

Warm regards,
    Rahul

moggy is offline God like figure

You should be able to get a work permit easily enough with a masters.
    However to apply for residence you are likely to need NZ work experience as it is a combination of your work experience and qualifications that get you in.