Thread: Thinking about NZ

methodic is offline Junior Member

Default Thinking about NZ

I'm not sure how to start this post out. I guess you can call me a fed-up American that has had enough of the way this country is being run. All the unnecessary bureaucracy, the pork-barrel spending, how this whole place is turning into a policed state, all the corruption in the form of the IRS and Federal Reserve, the list goes on with me. I'd like to live in a place where they view prison as a place to help rehabilitate people, instead of looking at it as a business.

A little about me. I am a libertarian at heart. I believe no one should be able to tell you how to live your life as long as what you do doesn't affect anyone around you. I believe in paying for taxes as long as it goes towards something worth-while like universal health care or fixing roads or mass transit or education.

So right now I am looking at all my options. I don't know where to begin, but I'm hoping I can get some feedback on the way of life in New Zealand. My currently profession is computer work (systems administration)... not sure what kind of computer industry New Zealand has or anything.

Perhaps if anyone from the U.S. that has moved to NZ can give me any insight or compare/contrast the major differences.

Thanks!

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Welcome, Methodic.

I found this site about Libertarians in NZ.

From what I've read of NZ, I'm not sure that I'd call it much of a Libertarian paradise, frankly. I think you would find more social permissiveness there than in the US. Ecnomically, though, I'm not sure. My impression is that on one hand there is a lot of government intervention in the economy, but on the other hand it is a place where it is very much easier to start your own business. There are a lot of environmental regulations, but IMHO they seem to be more common-sense "don't soil your own nest" sort of laws.

Others here will undoubtedly weigh in with more knowledge than I have. I think, though, that in short both a left-liberal like myself and a libertarian would find lots to like and lots to take issue with!
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

It's not that I'm against Government, nor am I against laws that only promote a healthy existence (ie: environmental regulations), it's just I don't believe in an Orwellian-style Government. The PATRIOT act, trying to regulate the internet, etc... all this takes up valuable time and resources, yet our literacy rate keeps falling (I read on Wikipedia that NZ's is at 99%! Is that true?!).

It's hard for me to put into words my ultimate utopia. I just want to live my life, contribute to the good causes, and not feel like I am being enslaved, but rather working towards a better humanity. I just don't feel that way in the United States. I got a letter from the IRS that says I "owe" them $6,000. Thing is, I know all about the federal taxes, the Federal Reserve, and where that money goes. It's a huge scam, it's highly illegal, and stuff like this just keeps piling on me to the point I can barely take it.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Methodic,

Glad you could join us on the forum.

I’m neither American nor have I already immigrated to NZ, but the gut feeling I have about the place is that the kiwis are ‘more in touch with the earth’. I know that sounds a bit hippy-ish, but I get the impression that the average kiwi is more interested in getting on with life than meddling in politics or high finance (outside of Auckland, anyway). Life is simpler and more ‘back to basics’. Perhaps this is due to them not having so much disposable income to hand, but they do seem to enjoy and indulge more in what nature has to offer. Coming into NZ from a more materialistic country you could find this very unappealing or, alternatively, depending on your train of thought, refreshing.

I don’t see it that there is this ‘Big brother is watching you’ culture where the stuffing of your whole life is monitored. Politicians are too busy fighting amongst themselves to worry about what you’re doing and, yet, I do think that the general public does have a voice there. Several times issues have been raised, there’s been a public outcry, and very quickly the issues have been shelved again. If not, then they try to compromise. As with every government, there is good and bad, but I don’t think NZ could compare in any way to the complex involvement of the US government in the running of the country. NZ is a much smaller country and there’s not so much at stake.

I don’t know if this will enlighten you about the taxation system in NZ, but it’s a start.

Quote Originally Posted by methodic View Post
    It's hard for me to put into words my ultimate utopia. I just want to live my life, contribute to the good causes, and not feel like I am being enslaved, but rather working towards a better humanity. I just don't feel that way in the United States. I got a letter from the IRS that says I "owe" them $6,000. Thing is, I know all about the federal taxes, the Federal Reserve, and where that money goes. It's a huge scam, it's highly illegal, and stuff like this just keeps piling on me to the point I can barely take it.
    I think a lot of people will identify with those sentiments so you aren't alone in expressing them. I would imagine it would be a lot easier to get on with your life unhampered in NZ than in the US, provided you can bring in a reasonable income to support yourself and your family. Once outside the cities you can very quickly escape to peace and quiet, which must be good for the soul. As Kiwihopeful says, it's much easier to do certain things like starting your own business or buying property because there isn't so much red tape. I don't think kiwis can be bothered with it.

I've rambled on a bit and probably haven't done much to put your mind at rest, but I would say that, if you aren't the materialistic type, you could do a lot worse than NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi Mother Bear:

I'm really not a materialistic person at all. That being said, I would be hard-pressed to not constantly have my computer or guitar with me at all times.

Thanks for the taxation link, I will read up on that.

I think the most important things for me living in an area is cost of living, the neighborhood and any sort of public transportation. Is Auckland City a good place to start my research? Also, I've been in the IT industry since 2000, so I would need to live in a place with a strong computing market.

Regards.