Thread: New Zealand is poised to be the world leader in ...

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default New Zealand is poised to be the world leader in ...

I saw something on the news this morning about Massachusetts investing $1 billion to become the US leader in biotech. (You can find the story here .) That story, combined with the other, more controversial, thread in this section got me thinking about NZ as something of an 'emerging' economy. That is to say, there's a lot of room for growth if this small nation can find its niche.

So, make your prediction: In what area could NZ become the world leader if it put it's mind to it?

My prediction is alternative energy, and solar power in particular. I've read a couple of articles about interesting things researchers in NZ are doing in that field. Also, Australia would be an excellent partner for such an endeavor. (Insert Aussie joke here.)
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I think you're right. Alternative energy will be a big thing in NZ, and also Biofuels. Kiwi scientists have already discovered a few biofuel things recently!

I also think NZ could be the next Hollywood, with all the film interest going on!

Oh, and there's also the oil exploration off the south coast, so it could well be the next Texas!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Oh, and there's also the oil exploration off the south coast, so it could well be the next Texas!
    Oh lord ... anything but that!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

According to a tv commercial, when God was handing out gold, oil etc. NZ was too slow in pushing the button ... but got pineapple lumps.

I remember a Star Trek episode where in the future NZ was one big penal colony.

Seriously, I do believe NZ could have an excellent future in solar heating etc., but progress here is far too slow, the products too expensive and incentive lacking. I am a bit concerned about NZ's population being used as guinea pigs, however, from large biotech and pharmaceutical companies. Pineapple lumps are good though!
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Pineapple lumps are good though!
    Darn it, missed those while I was there. I've heard many times how good they are. Maybe next time.

I would think more effort in harnessing the elements such as sun, water and wind should be made. There's been a lot of talk about all of them, but I doubt it's got much further. Perhaps involving members of the public and gearing them up to putting pressure on the government would go some way to seeing a cleaner, greener and sustainable future.

Wind farms are very unpopular with residents and thought to be a blot on the landscape, so perhaps a different way of dealing with it could be considered. Personally, I don't mind them as I think they're quite futuristic-looking with their clean lines, but I can see how most people don't like them.

NZ has an abundance of water and wind and a fair bit of sun so it would be a pity not to utilise them as they should still be available when all else has become depleted. Being such a small country it's a good place to start up various projects and set the rest of the world a good example.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

It?s a start.

Go-ahead for wind farm
    5:30AM Wednesday May 16, 2007

The Environment Court has given the go-ahead for a wind farm at Makara near Wellington but has decided the number of turbines should be reduced.

The court says Meridian Energy should be allowed to build a 66-turbine windfarm, a cut of four from the 70 the company received consent for in 2005.

From here .

Vector backing windfarms .
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Wind farm developer's big switch
    Page 1 of 2 5:00AM Sunday May 27, 2007
    By Chris Daniels

Stage one of Windfarm's $80 million development at Te Rere Hau was completed last year. Photo / Gary Rodgers

Add some Kiwi-made engineering brains to the global push for renewable energy sources and within two years there's a $100 million utility company ready to list on the main board of the stock exchange.

Shareholders of NZ Windfarms are meeting in Christchurch tomorrow to approve a plan to transform their company from a small-scale wind farm developer to a big player on New Zealand's renewable power scene.

The growth story of NZ Windfarms is remarkable. It started life as a spin-off of Windflow Technology - the brain child of engineer Geoff Henderson - to develop and build a unique twin-bladed wind turbine.

Stage one of Windfarm's $80 million wind farm at Te Rere Hau - Maori for "fierce wind" - near Palmerston North was completed late last year. This month it raised $75 million of new capital, which will help pay for the next batch of its NZ-built turbines.

These machines are smaller and less obtrusive than some of the giant models favoured by other developers.

Company chief executive Chris Freear says using these smaller machines is an important part of its different take on wind power.

"Our approach to what wind generation should look like is certainly different to what some of the main players in the space have - particularly Trustpower and Meridian.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Air NZ set to pioneer biofuel for jets
    Friday, 28 September 2007

Air New Zealand says it will play a world-leading role in efforts by aircraft manufacturer Boeing and engine maker Rolls-Royce to develop more environmentally friendly fuel for commercial aircraft.

Issues around "carbon footprints" and the use of fossil fuels are expected to be crucial to the future of New Zealand's biggest industrial sector, tourism. Some of New Zealand's key tourism markets are 20,000km away, and a Boeing 747 uses 16 tonnes of fuel just to take off, the equivalent of running six family cars for a year.

Air New Zealand said today it will work with the plane and engine makers on projects aimed at making commercial aviation more environmentally sustainable.

Its first step will be the first commercial trial – out of Auckland – of a bio-fuelled, Rolls-Royce powered, Boeing aircraft toward the second half of next year or early 2009. The Boeing 747 flight, which is likely to depart Auckland and will not carry customers, will be conducted under strict safety standards.

Only one engine will run on a blended biofuel/kerosene mix and the remaining three will be powered by regular aviation fuel. An announcement on the source and mix of the blended fuel will be made closer to the time of the flight.

Air New Zealand chief executive Rob Fyfe said that as little as a year ago biofuel seemed like "pie in the sky" to many aviation industry observers, but it was now a possibility.

The technology was moving so fast that it may become viable in a much shorter timeframe than previously thought, he said.

"Air New Zealand is keen to encourage research into alternative fuels and wants to work hand-in-hand with industry partners and the New Zealand Government on promoting this type of activity," he said.

Air New Zealand would like to progress to an all-NZ biofuel for future tests flights, but sourcing the quantity necessary may be a challenge in the short term, he said.

- NZPA

From here .
    Mother Bear

I saw that on the news last night. Very exciting, but to me the best part was that they are using algae from sewerage treatment plants to make the fuel. The biofuel company seemed to indicate that they were committed to avoiding corn as a biofuel source.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiHopeful View Post
    Originally Posted by Taffy View Post

Oh lord ... anything but that!
    Don't let the Texans read that. You should know how vigorously they wave their Lone Star flag!

I agree though. I'd rather they leave off on the oil and coal, and work towards solar, tidal and wind power.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s