Thread: Homelessness Question

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Homelessness Question

Another question we have is about homeless problems in NZ. I found a few papers on line, which were hopeful, but could have been written in an ivory tower. A complex issue, but I am focusing on what might be called disruptive vagrancy ? the sort of homeless who ?have a lifestyle which is disruptive to others and leads to public nuisance and disorder? (Wellington City Council?s Homelessness Strategy, August 2004). Do NZ agencies really deal effectively with disorderly sorts?

I ask because California has a big homeless problem, and doesn?t seem to be dealing with it very well. Not only are the ?down and out? people not getting the services they need, but the disruptive sorts (?feral humans?) are not adequately controlled. Our area, smack dab in the middle of the Emerald Triangle, attracts a bunch of shiftless potheads and meth addicts who cause frequent trouble, and generally get away with it. Communities are paralyzed because they can?t make the distinction between providing compassionate assistance and responding to nuisances.

While we were in NZ, we saw a few people who may have been homeless, but they were quiet and respectful. One fellow may have been orbiting Pluto, but seemed to be a harmless local fixture. It was so nice to not be harrassed, or need to go around a clot of beligerant ferals in the parks. Were we getting a realistic sample of the situation?
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Speaking for Hamilton, I can't say I've ever been bothered by anyone of that sort. I've seen the odd drifter wandering through the city (wouldnt know if they were homeless though!) and they all just pass on by. Certain areas have certain problems, and I would imagine somewhere like Auckland may have more of an issue with this kind of thing than other cities, but on the whole, order seems to reign supreme.

I also think this has a lot to do with social attitude too, rather than any agency or police department. Kiwi's still have values (most do anyway) and want to live in a nice place, where they and their children feel safe. You can't get better than a population that has pride and takes care of itself, rather than the powerless 'PC' countries that pander to the criminals, rather than the victims.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi,

We've only live in Rotorua and Wellington and in Rotorua I dont actually recall seeing anyone like that wandering around or in door ways like we used to see in Scotland.

As for Wellington the only homeless person you'll see is Blanket Man. He just wears a blanket hence the name and he loiters about but is quiet and harmless. I think he's now part of Wellington's History as everyone knows of him and you will pass by him if you wander along Courtnay Place.

We've also travelled a fair bit throughout the North Island and haven't noticed any problems or nuisance people so I would say it's pretty low key here with regards to that.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I think we saw Blanket Man on Lambton Quay. He reminded me of a fellow in a nearby (to me) town named Pete the Rag Man. Daft, but harmless.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s