View Poll Results: Should news articles have their own section on the forum?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • News items should have their own separate category

8 72.73%
  • Keep news items in the open forum

3 27.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative news articles - good or bad?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Question Negative news articles - good or bad?

After discussions with our esteemed leader about the negative news articles I tend to post, I thought I'd run a poll to see who would prefer not to read about them on the forum and who would.

Edited to add: Poll has been amended to show only the options relating to creating a dedicated news category. If anyone has anything to add regarding negative news items, perhaps they'd like to add them to this thread to save starting (and getting in a mess with ) a new poll.

The poll asks if members would prefer to have news items kept separate from the main forum and in their own category to prevent cluttering up the immigration forum with unrelated news.

Just for interest, this poll is open to members who are yet to make the move and also those already in NZ as their point of view is valuable too, regarding the validity of negative news articles and in what form they would like to see the news appear.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Mother Bear,

Difficult one this.

IMO news reports in New Zealand are slightly different to reports in, say, the UK. With a smaller population here, they have a lot less news to put in the daily paper and will repeat old stories or come up with reports bordering on the daft. Apart from the main headlines, it seems to me that much else reported here is just shrugged off.

Those anywhere else in the world reading these reports may wonder what on earth they are doing considering emigrating to New Zealand. Initially, that is. Then again, most who are considering to do so can easily log into the internet news websites themselves so your copy and pastes should not ultimately deter people from immigrating.

See no reason why you cannot keep posting news articles ... some have been a catalyst for some interesting comments!

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

This poll shouldnt be about whether or not news should still be posted, but whether or not all news should be put in a section of it's own, so other questions are not lost in amongst them. The news articles do tend to have a negative story attached, which people might be interested in, but some may not. Maybe we start this poll again as it's kind of hard to vote on your answers anyway!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

I thought I'd combine the poll as there was the question of whether or not the news items should have their own category and it was also suggested that perhaps the items themselves were a tad negative to put on the forum.

It seems straightforward to me, as people could well have opinions on both matters. Just killing 2 birds with one stone. Perhaps we should have a new poll to ask if the current poll makes sense the way it is or if it should just ask the question 'Do we want the news to stand alone or keep it in the main forum?'

I'll certainly change it if you'd prefer, but, as it is, I don't think the multiple choice is selected so it wouldn't run properly anyway.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Dont seem to be able to switch on multiple answers. I'll delete the first 2 answers as its not about the article content, more their positioning. After the outcome, you could start another poll asking whether the content should be more negative/positive/indifferent. (You'll need to vote again MB as your's was deleted!)
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

OK, so be it . When I started the poll, I saw the multiple choice box but as I originally only had 2 options, I didn't think it was necessary. That's the trouble with setting up polls, once you've selected the options, it's caste in stone.

I might just edit my previous post and folks can add their comments on this thread about the negative news articles.
    Mother Bear

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Default My 2 cents ...

I would like to see the news in its own section ... I think that would keep things a little cleaner and make it more apparent when logging in when there are new discussion posts versus new news posts. (Did that make sense?)

As for 'negative' news, I don't really mind it. I check the Herald and Stuff every day myself, so most of what is posted I've seen elsewhere (though not necessarily read). I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly ... in fact, I'd rather prefer to know the bad and the ugly than the good, since PureNZ, the guide books, and NZIS aren't going to give that part of the story!

I'm not too worried about people being scared off by negative news stories about NZ. For one, the news really isn't that bad (is it?). Second, better to be scared off by a forum than to pack up the family, move to the other side of the globe, and find out that interest rates are on the up, housing is skyrocketing, and kids can't be spanked. :wink:
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I agree with KiwiHopeful, I want to know all of it as well but I too think the news items should be in a separate thread, that way we know where to find them if we want them. I would guess that most of us serious about getting over there have a link to the different news sites already and read them regularly anyway but for those who don't they're bound to alert someone's attention to something and that's always a good thing
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Is the main issue that they're filling up the forum, and don't get much/any discussion? If so, perhaps they should be placed outside the forum. However, I don't think that negative/positive-ness should be a factor in deciding which articles get posted in the forum.

I suppose I'll vote in favor of a special "News" category somewhere, but it's not a big issue for me.

(PS: Now I see I'm not the first to post, so my queries above are mostly answered. I haven't goten used to this new forum setup and the break between the initial post and responses.)
    Last edited by selchie; 29-04-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiHopeful View Post
    As for 'negative' news, I don't really mind it. I check the Herald and Stuff every day myself, so most of what is posted I've seen elsewhere (though not necessarily read). I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly ... in fact, I'd rather prefer to know the bad and the ugly than the good, since PureNZ, the guide books, and NZIS aren't going to give that part of the story!

I'm not too worried about people being scared off by negative news stories about NZ. For one, the news really isn't that bad (is it?). Second, better to be scared off by a forum than to pack up the family, move to the other side of the globe, and find out that interest rates are on the up, housing is skyrocketing, and kids can't be spanked. :wink:
    My point exactly. I also feel that if the news is currently full of gloom and doom about a particular topic, which it is at the moment regarding NZers' difficulties with finances and housing, at least it shows that it's out in the open and, hopefully, if it gets enough bad press, someone, somewhere will try to do something about it. It's more worrying when all is quiet and appears to be swimming along nicely. You never know what's being swept under the carpet.

When the press is repeatedly slamming a topic, either people will get bored and switch off or, preferably, will sit up and take notice and ask what's being done about the situation. If folks become aware that they aren't alone in these struggles, it should empower them to try to change things.

I've no doubt Helen Clarke and her minions read the papers and can't be too pleased at all the stories about hardship among NZers and lack of reasonably priced housing. Surely something will have to be done at some point to relieve the situation?

Personally I'm encouraged by the fact that these matters are being discussed openly and look forward to the time when measures are put in place to help those who are struggling. Or am I being too naive?

As for posting these articles on the forum, I just feel it's more responsible to show the problematic side of NZ as well as the good, so people are forewarned and can arm themselves accordingly. I don't think I could sleep at night if I'd helped to send them off to pastures new with glowing reports of the land of milk and honey, just for them to find out the reality is quite a different story. There are good and bad things in every country and NZ is no different, but if you're aware of the bad before you set out, at least you have a chance of facing it head on rather than have it mow you down before you can protect yourself. For me, it's better to head for NZ expecting the worst and then being pleasantly surprised than suddenly having all sorts of unforeseen problems falling on my bonce.
    Mother Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast