Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs in New Plymouth

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Question Jobs in New Plymouth

Hi.

We are very keen to be in New Plymouth when we emmigrate to NZ.

When we have sold the house and hubby has worked his notice for his current job he will be heading out to NZ in search for work. (leaving me and the girls in the capable hands of his dad and step mum)

Does anyone know the availability of IT/Project Management jobs in New Plymouth and of any job recruitment agencies or companies he could contact in the area.

Thanks
    Beth

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Beth,

New Plymouth is a tricky part of the country. The industry there is oil and gas, and most of the work there is based in or around it. I looked for IT work out that way, but there was very little around.

You might want to contact the companies listed here:

http://www.oilandgas.co.nz/profiles.php

or contact the council in that area. They will be the employers of IT.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

firing1 is offline Member

Hi Beth,
    I work quite closely with the economic development agency in New Plymouth so may be able to put you in touch with the right people.

Paul

Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks for that. we have just verbally accpepted an offer on our house so need to get it offical yet. If it goes through will prob take about 4-6 weeks then hubby has 6 weeks notice to work in his current job and then he'll be on a plane to NZ looking for work.

All being well he will be in NZ in about 12 weeks.

Would be great to get in touch with some people before he gets there and then he would be able to line some face to face interveiws etc for one he is there.

Hubby's email if you would like it is nmb@e-bianca.co.uk, his name is Neil. If you mention the forum he will know about it. He has about 15 years experiance in IT and was an ICT manager for the last 8 years. He has just changed role into and IT project Manager so anything along these lines would be great. He is also ITIL (Service Delivery) and Prince 2 qualified.

Regards
    Beth

Blog Entries

Hi Taffy.

I figured there probably wouldn't be too much work there but maybe we will be lucky.

We were at the NZ Expo in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and Fitzroy engineering were there. They have been in contact since adn neil has filled out a couple of forms for them- he'd be looking at a project management position really so fingers crossed something may come from that but not counting our chickens yet.

Other than Auckland and Wellington where would you say are good areas for IT? We want to avoid the big cities really but stay on North Island.

Beth

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

There's IT jobs all over the place, it's just finding them thats the problem. I think it's mentioned somewhere that 60% of all vacancies in NZ are never advertised! Finding work is definately easier when you are in NZ if you want to be out of the major cities, it just means knocking on doors.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

firing1 is offline Member

Hi Beth,
    I emailed my contact in New Plymouth at the economic development agency and I will be down their for a meeting with them next week. She would be willing to contact your husband but can't promise anything. She had an ICT candidate from the UK the other week but the employer pulled out of the interview as soon as they found out that they didn't have residence yet. There are lot's of IT jobs around but you need to do as much reseach as possible into the areas you want to live. Let me know if you want me to pass on your husbands email address.

all the best

Paul

Blog Entries

Thanks Paul- you're a star.

I have PM'd you with details or our situation and Neil's email address.

I gathered there wouldn't be too much work there but any leads would be very usefull as New Plymouth has really appealed to us.

If you need any more information from me just PM or mail me.

Beth

Alison is offline Member

Hi Beth

We where at the Expo in Edinburgh back in March as well, that time it was to meet up with someone from Fitzroy Yachts (part of Fitzroy Engineering) who have we had been in contact with from Nov 06 where we went to the Expo in London and like you fell in love with the look of Taranaki.

My husband registered his CV on this website Taranaki - A region like no other - Welcome which we got from the Taranaki stall at the London expo, and luckily for us Fitzroy Yachts contacted us within a matter of a couple of weeks and 3 months later after much discussion my husband got a job offer from them and we are currently about to send in our application for visas.

It might be worthwhile checking out the website and registering on it so you can set up an email updates of any new jobs that come up, and it is quite an interesting site to read as well

The best of luck with Fitzroy Engineering and I hope your husband can find a job and give us a few months and we can let you know more details about the ins and outs of New Plymouth as we hope to be out there within 3 months fingers crossed!

Ali

Blog Entries

Hey Ali

Sounds like you definately got something out of the expo's. We were a bit dissapointed with Edinburgh. We went to Manchester one last year when we were just looking at the possibility of emmigrating and found it usefull but found that now we know we want to go and how to do it etc that the expo wasn't very usefull. Suppose we were expecting recruitment agencies to be there- would probably have been better at the london one but never mind.

Will you be going to New Plymouth to live? Think I have looked at the site you mentioned- will have to get other half to get his CV on there.

You will definately have to keep us up to date and let us know what it is like.

We are currently waiting for a sale on our house before hubby travels out to NZ to look for work as we need a job offer before we can submit our EOI. At the moment it feels like we are never get there and we are so fed up of waitng now.

Do you have any children or is it just the two of you? we have two girls- Jessica is 3 and Jasmin is 1.

Jessica is due to start school in September so we are hoping to have something by then so she doesn't have to start.

Anyway, keep in touch.

Beth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast