Thread: NZ Keyboards -vs- UK keyboards

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Default NZ Keyboards -vs- UK keyboards

Does anyone know where I can buy a UK-specification computer keyboard in New Zealand? The one I brought from the UK doesn't want to play anymore and I can't get used to the different key positions on a Kiwi keyboard.

I've tried buying one through Amazon, but they don't ship this far south......

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I would imagine the only place you'd find a UK style keyboard is somewhere like trademe. Maybe someone who brought they PC from the UK is selling one.

I couldnt get used to the kiwi keyboard, but now after getting used to it, I find I cant use my laptop, which has a UK keymap!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Hi Taffy,

I could probably get used to the kiwi keyboard if I didn't keep switching to my laptop, which has a UK layout. Unfortunately, I have to use both and it's just too annoying....

I'd love to know why there are different layouts though.

moggy is offline God like figure

if you are a good keyboard user and touch type, then it doesn't matter to you wher the keys are, just change the keyboard mapping using windows. If necessary, stick a few stickers on the ones you find hard to find.
    and yes nz keyboard layout is a pain, particularly with the backspace key being half the size it should be.

Blog Entries

Different keyboard layouts are tuned to different language requirements. There arent many differences between a UK and US (NZ) keyboard, with usually the @ and " symbols switched, and they have simply removed the pound (currency) symbol as it's not required. UK keyboards historically had 1 more key than US keyboards, to accomodate the extra key for the pound symbol. Other languages also had alternative keymaps to account for accents on letters etc. On a UK keyboard, the pound symbol is on the number 3, so the hash (#) had to be moved to another key.

If you're American, you're probably thinking the pound symbol is still on the number 3, as I believe you call a hash (#) a pound!

Anyway, I'm sure I've bored you enough. Moggy is right, just change the keymap settings on your computer and the keyboard will operate like a UK one.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kokopeli View Post
    I could probably get used to the kiwi keyboard if I didn't keep switching to my laptop, which has a UK layout. Unfortunately, I have to use both and it's just too annoying....
    Expand your mind Kokopeli, learn a new skill, add a new string to your bow then you will be ambikeybordrous or bikeyboardrous or somethingrous anyway. You'll be able to type anything anywhere! Think of the liberation
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Are the NZ keyboards the same as the US ones or are they different again. Surely they can't be that different from the UK ones- I presume all the letters will be in the same locations.

Beth

Blog Entries

They are pretty much the same keyboard. When you set them up in Windows, you use the US keyboard settings (there isnt an NZ one).
    Taffy