Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're on the move...

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Default We're on the move...

...to sunny Tauranga! 8-) Yep - our house goes up for sale in 2 weeks time and once it's sold, Daz and I will be leaving windy Wellington behind and heading up to Tauranga to go and live the bay lifestyle - yay!

It's somethng we've been thinking about for a while and the great Christmas we had up in Taupo and then at the lakes around Rotorua/Tauranga confirmed that we loved that area. The icing on the cake that really made up our minds was the fact that when we got back to Welly, it was blowing a gale and really cold (we even had the fire on cos a 'rare' summer southerly was whipping through!). Daz and I looked at each other and both thought the same - what are we doing here? Don't get me wrong - I love Wellington as a city. It's vibrant, has a great buzz, lots of (well paid) jobs (well, IT anyway), lots to do, gorgeous harbour (on a good day) and such friendly people.

On a good day you really can't beat Welly, but unfortunately for us we've endured too much of the Wellington wind and cold and we just aren't leading the lifestyle we moved over here for. So - in the next couple of months we'll be packing up the house, boxing up the cat, hitching on the boat and driving up to Tauranga for the next stage of our NZ adventure. Bring it on!

:)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: We're on the move...

Jodie, you lucky thing!

Have you both been able to find jobs in the BOP? It'll be quite a change for you, going from a big city to a place like Tauranga. From what I've seen of it, it's really nice and, of course, you've got Mt. Maunganui and the beach nearby - quite 'happening' places.

Good luck to you both with your new lives and also with selling your house. Hope it all goes well.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Exciting news Jodie and good to hear from you again. Let us know how the BOP suits you all including the cat! We're heading for Welli but have no idea whether we'll be able to weather the weather or not. In fact we're visiting the BOP first so may never make it to Welli, you never know ;)
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

thats good news!
    The great thing being that you are able to make the move without hassle.
    Weather plays a major part in NZ living.

Must admit the past 2-3 months in Dunedin have been great ;D

Or maybe we've got used to it as locals still complain when I thought Brits were the worlds worst at complaining about the weather before now!

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Good on you Jodie,

I totally know where you're coming from re Windy Wellie.

Hope the house sells quickly and you can start the new stage of your big adventure.

missvee is offline Senior Member

[smiley=041.gif] yeah, yippee, someone else living near me. That's more tea partys for Welshgirl, Dawn and I, more biccies. I am living in Whakatane or will be so i am between Tauranga and Rotorua. I am so happy, more people to pester for cups of sugar.
    The [smiley=Drunks.gif] party is on for next Sunday, everyone coming to wish me bon voyage or bugger off. I am getting a little excited now even though I haven't got my visa. Hope we can all meet up when we all get there. Yippee! Good luck on the move.
    Vee

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the good wishes and excitement for us (although I think I've got enough excitement for the whole world myself!!) :)

MB - we've been quite lucky on the jobs front - Daz can stay working for the same company in Welly but just work from home in Tauranga with the odd trip down to Welly or up to Auckland to meet with his team mates if and when he needs to. He's a .NET developer so as long as we've got a reasonable broadband connection he can do everything from home on his laptop. So it's just me looking for work - I've put the feelers out and there seems to be a bit of web design work around, so it's just a case of seeing when I get there what happens!

So - if anyone knows of any web work up there, or if anyone wants to buy a great 3 bedroom house in Paparangi, let me know! :)

moggy is offline God like figure

On a good day you really can't beat Welly, but unfortunately for us we've endured too much of the Wellington wind and cold and we just aren't leading the lifestyle we moved over here for. :)
    Lol! here we are complaining about the heat down here, I honestly didn't think the south island would be quite so hot but that is why we picked it. Our place has had temperatures regularly in the 30s, highest so far of about 38!!!! If I was to move I would be looking for somewhere a lot cooler!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Good luck with the move Jodie ... you sound quite excited! Not many people can expect to find the perfect place for them as soon as they move here.

The two days I was in Wellington - one day was perfectly beautiful, the other cold and windy. Was still impressed with the place, though.

It is strange what parts of NZ are the hottest - the east coast of both islands get the hottest weather, less rain and cooler winters. Up here in Northland it rarely gets above 27 degrees in summer and it is usually hotter in other parts of the country; it is only during the cooler months that the temperature is often highest in Northland. (Fascinating about Alexandra in the S.I. though - often has the hottest weather in the country! Wonder how that works?)

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

MB - we've been quite lucky on the jobs front - Daz can stay working for the same company in Welly but just work from home in Tauranga with the odd trip down to Welly or up to Auckland to meet with his team mates if and when he needs to.
    Well, that's a great start for you both if Daz has a job to go to. With a bit of luck you should be able to find something for yourself quite quickly. Fingers crossed for you. I hope the dream turns out to be as good in reality. 8-)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast