Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Simply can't afford to live in NZ

gossage is offline Member

Default Simply can't afford to live in NZ

Haven't been on here for a while but having just returned from NZ thought I would share my thoughts.

Spent 3 weeks over there to activate my PR. ?Really like parts especially Christchuch and hated others. ?But the major thing I have noticed is the low wages yet high cost of living. ?I had an interview for a scientists jobs while over there and was shocked to hear the wage was $50k this is too low to live on. ?I just don't see how people survive. ?The general feel I got while there was that people in NZ dont have savings, many dont even have pensions, they are in serious debt and couldnt even consider a holiday abroad!

I know people say you move to NZ for the life style but surely you need some money to enjoy that life style. ?It takes money to travel to the beach or the park etc. ?I am not looking to live in a mansion or have millions in the bank but I am also not looking to live on the bread line. ?It is such a shame that it looks like I will not be able to move to NZ due to the poor wages and high living costs.

I will have to take somewhere in the region of a 12-14k wages cut yet housing costs (rents) over there are higher than the UK and food is about the same. ?I have seen a job that will give me $777/wk income but after rent of $400/wk I just dont see how I can make $377 feed, cloth and insure me and two kids. ? The maths simply dont add up or am I missing something?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me....................insurance costs, utilities etc

mea
    mea is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Simply can't afford to live in NZ

I get $750 a fortnight, my rent is $320 a fortnight, I would probably be classed as living in poverty, but I pay all my bills and my son and I are fed and have a place to live, I'm happy with my life. What I'm trying to point out is, you said you would have double what I get, so if I can live with what I have, surely you could live with what you would have and have extra? There has to be pros and cons, (I am rather lucky with my rent), but if you really want to give life here a go you could think of living somewhere else, look around for different jobs, I don't know really, I just know my life, just wanted to share.
    Also, it depends on where in the country you live, the bigger cities cost more of course.

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Its difficult because every place is different.
    The problem being I dont feel that any jobs are well paid in the middle to upper level and mos dont have savings and get by.
    But they are happy with that idea of live and thats what it is quality of live to them.

For me, well a job as I gave up in the UK would be $170k per annum..so no chance.
    Instead we will enjoy and pay for food on $12-15 hour and enjoy profit in our business employing staff on a simular wage. but thats our choice and because its the only way to stay here.
    We are very happy here to date and have made more friends than we every had in uk.
    Ok we are lucky and still have income and currently a house in the Uk until we are 1110% sure to stay here.

Food, we find is cheaper but rents are pricey until we buy a home!

We note that locals dont really go out at night and are living in conditions of old in some houses with little heating and single room fires, but thats what they are used too.

Moving to NZ is an individual thing and a huge step. but to me I dont miss the Uk apart from pubs -good indian curries and lovely Surrey walks..
    And here we now have our own business to do as with wish ..hopefully to stay !!! ;)

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi gossage,

We've lived here in Auckland for 6 months, my husband is currently earning approx $54-60K, yes quite low although classed as the mid range but has so far supported us all, (we have 2 young children) and our weekly rent is $380, bills are a bit less than England, food bills are similar, maybe a little less for fruit & veggies at some shops.
    We do have the worry of big unexpected bills looming such as dentist etc... and realise that this isn't financially sustainable at this rate. You're not mistaken and you have done your research but if we'd have visited first, we may well have been put off too so I'm glad we didn't because we came with the attitude that we would be ok and it had to work for us. I'm still yet to start earning prpperly so things will improve, good luck with your decision, pm me if you need to know anything else,
    Debra and Eddie

To be honest the more I read and hear off people the more I dont want to go!!

I am a single parent so I wouldnt have the option of a second wage. And I just dont relish the idea of living in an old shack huddled around a single heating device!!! ?It sounds like the NZ folk know no better so except a shitty finanical life. ?I think it was on here that one NZ guy who left for the UK said he wasnt even aware that there was better out there. ?He thought the rest of the world lived in poverty too. ?The UK is a flea pit I agree but we do have a good stardard of living. ?Well those who are educated and work hard. ?I can afford to buy clothes just because I like them, dont need them, I can go out for meal, drinks, cinema etc without a thought and I can afford 3 weeks in NZ. ?If I was living there I wouldnt have any of those luxuries. ?So really I think my answer is that NZ is a lovely and beautiful country but it would only provide me with a life in poverty and I want so much more.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I've heard of families (2 adults, 2 children) who are managing on a salary of $50,000 but I've also come across some who are earning quite a bit more and say they aren't coping. ?It must surely come down to good budgeting and involves a certain degree of financial discipline, but not everyone can adapt to this or even wants to adapt. ?

I think you have to be quite honest with yourself and discover whether you would be prepared, at least initially, to be very careful with money until you see how things are going to pan out with all your outgoings. ?People have very different spending habits and some are more prepared to make sacrifices for the lifestyle than others. ?If you are someone who likes to have all the good things in life that money can bring, I don't think that NZ would be for you unless there was a fantastic salary coming in. ?On the other hand, if you crave a lifestyle that isn't governed by your finances, NZ could turn out to be a very good choice. ?

Whilst on the subject, for anyone who's interested in reading up on tips and tricks to manage your finances better, I'm currently reading a book by Anita Bell which is written in a straight forward, down-to-earth manner and is specifically directed at folks living in NZ. I wouldn't like to say it's available in the UK but would probably be over the Internet .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

The more I read and hear from people the more it seems to me that there are two distinct types of people that hanker after a life in NZ and I think the types are looking for different things although at first it may appear they are looking for the same.

There are those who.................I was about to start writing a sociological thesis from a capitalist perspective then but you don't wanna be reading that with your cup of tea and a biscuit and anyway it is only my opinion and anyway you may well be irked into thinking 'what the hell does she know about me?', so I won't coz I like you all and I want to have some people in NZ who still want to provide us with hot cups of tea and friendly faces when we arrive.

It does come down to money but not how much you have or how much you want. It's about it's value and that, I think, is different for all of us. I know that $1 is worth $1 and will only ever be worth $1 but if you only had $1 and you really wanted that sweet little $25 pair of sandals that would just go perfectly with that sweet little dress you bought for your sweet little girl last weekend then your measly $1 is gonna make you kind of unhappy, everytime you looked at it it would make you feel angry, frustrated and even maybe inadequate. Eventually you would begin to associate not having enough $ with being angry, frustrated and inadequate, one would come to mean the other.
    If all you had was $1 in your pocket and your sweet little girl who isn't really bothered whether she has $25 sandals or not because children don't value those things like us materialistic adults do until they're conditioned to by the same materialistic adults and by our capitalist society in general that targets them subliminally because they are the next generation of spenders and investors in the capitalist machine, running around the garden in bare feet blissfully unaware of how many $ you have or don't have in your pocket, wanting nothing more than to know when she smiles at you you will smile back, when she comes to hug you you will hug her back, that she is loved, respected and unconditionally accepted by you for who she is and for all that she will grow to be, then that $1 in your pocket, that can now stay in your pocket, no longer takes on the same importance it did before, it becomes secondary, it's value is more than monetary because you'll spend it with integrity.

This may sound twee and it might not even say exactly what I was trying to say but we should never forget that it is always completely our choice how we choose to spend our money. We have come to just see money as that stuff jingling around in our pocket or those four secret numbers we punch into a machine. Having money can enable our actions but it can also disable our thinking. Everything's so easy come easy go and we have no one to blame but our greedy selves.

There's more to life than money. There's more to money than money. You just have to think about it.

Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

I think what you have written is nonsense.................sorry.

Having been in NZ the kids there are fanshion conscious and do were trendy clothes. If you are referring to a small wee toddler who knows no better then fine. I am not talking about having lots and lots of luxury. However, I really dont think that adequate heating, food and clothing are unreasonable requests. I do like clothes and it makes me feel nice to look nice. Taking pride in ones appearance is no crime. I noticed that cosmetics are expensive too and I am not prepared to look like an old hag because I can no longer afford to care for my skin!!

With regard to housing I want to live in a nice house with my children................we deserve that. I have worked hard to become as qualified and technically skilled as I am and I expect to be rewarded for that...............I am in the UK!! I want to have a pension for my retirement, something NZers dont seem to have. I will still have the same financial demands when old in NZ as I do in the UK, therefore I should be able to make provisions for them. I was interview by AgResearch, a major crown research institute in NZ and they dont even have superannuation. I find that appauling!!!!!!!!!!!! But it seems that NZers just except a shit life!! Oh yeah they have the nice beaches sure and the country is breathtakingly beautiful but there is a bigger world than NZ and may of the NZ couldnt even dream of seeing any other part of the world due to lack of money. They work to pay bills and there is very little if anything left. What life is that. I think that a lot of people on this site are totally blinkered and see NZ as some kind of paradise. When in reality is it far from it!!!

I am sorry if I seem angry but with regard to there is more to life than money.............unfortunately money is a necessity of life!!!!!! Without it we dont eat!! I would like a better life style as in more clean open spaces, nice beaches and parks etc but I would also like the money to enjoy such a lifestyle.

Basically to sum it up....................I get the feeling if you want to live in NZ you have to except poverty and debt. Make sacrafices on heating, housing, pension and possibly medical care...................sounds delightful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

It would appear that I upset you when that wasn't my intention. You have every right to display anger if anger is what you feel, you shouldn't apologise for it. Maybe you feel disappointed and let down that NZ wasn't what you wanted it to be, maybe that means that you have to re-evaluate your future and what you want from it. I don't know whether you had set your heart on NZ or whether you were just considering it as a possibility and so I can't comment on your situation. But it does seem to me as you write so vociferously, that this has hit you quite hard.

You're obviously a high earner in the UK which is very fortunate for you and your family, you've come to expect a certain 'standard' of life, and that's great but your expected standards are not necessarily other peoples and you are wrong to assume that the same things that matter to you matter to others. By suggesting that most of the people on this site are blinkered you are assuming a lot of things about a lot of people that you don't know.

I'm sorry that you feel so bad about yourself as to think that you look like an old hag without cosmetics, I'm sure you don't, I for one don't need the superficial hype of some multi-million corporation to make me feel better about myself. I used to, then I got divorced, did some soul-searching and got to grips with what I really didn't like about myself that I thought I could cover up externally and hide behind - saved myself a whole shed load of money too.

Many, many people live in poverty in the UK, more in fact than the whole population of NZ. They too work just to pay the bills and have nothing left, they too can't afford to leave the country on holiday, they too struggle to feed their kids, I don't think the factories that most of them work in offer superannuation either, they too have no choice but to accept a shit life. I know these things are true because I work with the kids from these families every day and I see the consequences of such a life.

I know we all need money, I didn't suggest that we can have a life without it, what I did suggest is that we should spend it with a little more integrity because for every pound you have there are many more people that don't and we'd all do well to think about more than ourselves and our own little (in the grand scheme of things) lives.

You've made up your mind about NZ gossage and you have every right to say and feel the things that you do. Many of the people on this site already in NZ are discovering some of the same things that you did, others have discovered things about themselves that they didn't know that have made them stronger people, others have found themselves a better way of life that makes them happier and more fulfilled even with less money and fewer 'things'. Everybody's trials, failures and achievements should be respected because there is not one of us anywhere who is any more deserving than anyone else.
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

You are obviously the do gooder type!!!!!!!!!

I really dont care about other people...................I am concerned about myself and my family!!!!!!!!! If I dont care for them who will.

By the way I didnt say I looked like a hag without cosmetics. What I said was I was not prepared to let my skin suffer in 'the sun' as I couldnt afford skin care products. In actual fact I consider myself above average beauty and extremely attractive!!! So please dont feel sorry for me, I have been very well blessed.

I didnt have my heart set on NZ either it was always going to be a stepping stone, it is Australia that I want to live in but they do not require research scientists. And therefore it was impossible to get through their immigration system.

I think this is turning nasty and probably should not continue, but thanks for your valued imput. ;)

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast