Thread: non dependent child

blossom is offline Junior Member

Default non dependent child

Hi All
    Lucky me I have PM in NZ through my partner :)..however my son and his partner who've been here on a WHV would love to make their life here. Trouble is I have 2 other 'children' living in the UK and that means he can't apply as a non dependent child. He doesn't have the right qualifications to apply independently.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem (having a sibling in the UK) and if there is a way around it. I'm nearly 60 years old and it would be great for me to have some family here as I drift into my dotage! :'(

My other children have also said they would eventually love to come to NZ but it seems that they will all come up against this 'sibling' rule...unless theres someone out there who knows better....??? 8-)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: non dependent child

Hi Blossom, welcome to MoveToNz.

The balance of family thing can be quite a problem to overcome when you have more children in the UK than in NZ and it has consequently caused heartache for many.

I take it that your son's partner would also like to stay in NZ? As a long shot, is there any chance that his partner can get enough points to apply for PR so that he can then get in via the Partnership Category? To qualify for that they would obviously have to comply with the ruling of having lived together in a stable relationship for the requisite 12 months.

It really is very difficult to qualify for PR in NZ if you don't slot nicely into one of the various categories i.e. to appear to be of some use to NZ. As I see it, the only way he could stay in NZ for any length of time would be to find a job and apply for a Work Permit. That would only be a temporary measure though, as he would probably never be able to apply for PR that way unless he retrained in such a way as to qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. :(

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.