Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korean Air anyone?

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Korean Air anyone?

Anyone flown with Korean Air? Was just wondering as can't seem to find a lot of info about them and was wondering what the feedback is. I have spoken to people who have used Air NZ and said the seats were very cramped, Qantas is supposed to have more room but fares are more expensive. With Poppy only being 5 we think it might help to have a little more room, Charlie (11) soon gets fed up too.

Has anyone done the change over in Seoul? So many have said to avoid LA especially with kids, wondered what the experience of Seoul was like?

Thanks guys
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default Re: Korean Air anyone?

http://www.koreanair.com/

Here is their website. The Economy seats looks typical of other major airlines, not sure about the leg space though.

Although on their website, they said this "You will feel snug with a delightful atmosphere in the Economy Class Seat." I reckon, not much extra room space, just enough.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Dawn, have a look on here where you can select Airline Ranking and Passengers Opinions at the top. You might find something on there to answer your question.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Hi Dawn, 'fraid I don't know anything about Korean Air, but just wanted to say that we flew out with Air New Zealand, and would highly recommend them. ?We came via LA and had a stop over, so didn't have the trauma of a rush through immigration and customs before getting straight back on the plane. ?My hubby has really long legs, and he didn't feel squashed (we did however have bulkhead seats as we had a 5 month old baby in bassinet, but to be honest I don't think we had significantly more leg room than anyone else) - the staff at check-in and on the plane were fab with the kids. ?My dad recently flew over to see us recently and he too flew with Air New Zealand flying via Hong Kong. He had no complaints either (though he did fly business class and he wasn't contending with little 'uns!! ?;D)

Are you just about to book your flights? ?how exciting for you all - good luck xx

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Dawn,

Both times coming over to NZ we flew Malaysian and I remember in 2005 reading that they had the most leg room. To be honest I didnt notice a difference from them compared to any other airline but we were happy with them. :D

Blog Entries

Thanks guys, will look into it further, it's just that for a whole fortnight around the date we want to fly, Korean Air are offering the lowest fares. The turn-around time is good too with only an hour or so between flights changing at Seoul. The cost is obviously important but we also need to take into account that the inflight entertainment has to be good for the youngest 2, we need the best baggage allowances we can get, we need to be able to take the dogs on the same flight etc.

Yes Maggiemoo we're about to do the ticket booking - we feel we need to give ourselves a cut off date to get everything done by. We have paid the rent on the house until 28th July and the contract will end then so we want to be gone before then. Nice to hear from you - you seem to have been absent for a while?

Thanks for the links guys, they were helpful. :)

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Dawn,

Woo hoo how exciting booking those flights! It will fly!!! ;-)
    I can't remember the flight company we used, it's only 6 months and already forgotten, ha!
    We also had bulk head seats which were fab with plenty of room, (as far as flights go anyway!), but after our 3 hour fuel stop in Hong Kong, a change of plane brought less room unfortunately and it became the 'awful' leg of our journey after no sleep and feeling squashed in. The staff weren't attentive either on this one.
    Good luck with getting the beast flights for you!

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Sorry to put a dampner on things but we flew Korean air on our first trip out here 6 years ago, and both Daz and I vowed that we'd NEVER FLY KOREAN AIR AGAIN! THe service was aawful mainly because the stewardesses didn't speak very good English (she didnt understand what I wanted when I was asking for a glass of water! Not really that difficult to understand!), the airport was the same - the woman at the money exchange didn't understand when we asked what currency was taken at the shops/cafes cos we only had NZ dollars and needed to change some up to be able to buy somethig to eat, and the food was awful! We had this wierd Korean dish for one meal - dried seaweed in a polystyrene cup filled up with hot water, cold mice beef, cold beansprouts and boiled rice. Then for breakfast the choice was omlette (which was fine) but I don't eat eggs so had to have the other choice - Lasagne!! For breakfast! ?:-/

So - even though it was cheap, if you're travelling with kids or want any kind of confidence in the fact that you can get what you want when you want, then my advice is don't fly Korean Air.

Plus - we also found out that apparently, Korean Air flies with just enough fuel to get to the destination and only has tiny reserves in case they need to redirect/take longer... don't know if it's true but we heard it from a few people (before we flew!!) so were slightly nervous... ?:o

Anyway, just my experiences there for you. Hope it helps :)

Blog Entries

Sorry to put a dampner on things but we flew Korean air on our first trip out here 6 years ago, and both Daz and I vowed that we'd NEVER FLY KOREAN AIR AGAIN! We had this wierd Korean dish for one meal - dried seaweed in a polystyrene cup filled up with hot water, cold mice beef,
    :o :o :o :o Do hope you mean minced beef there Jodie! ;)

I don't eat meat anyway and I have to say that whatever airline we've flown with anywhere, I have never had one decent vegetarian meal. The kids always think the food's crap as well so we always end up stocking up and taking loads of stuff on board with us. The only drawback being of course that we don't get anything hot. When we flew to USA with Continental the steward came round with a snack of a meat roll and a bag of crisps, I asked for the vegetarian option and he said, 'OK but you're not gonna like it'. It was just the crisps!

Anyway still checking the schedules everyday, we'll let you all know when we're booked on!

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Hi Dawn, my hubby flew Korean Air in October 2005 when he came out to NZ to do a recci. He was very impressed with the service and said the airport was immaculate. He said he would definitely fly with them again although we have flown Air NZ and Emirates since just due to flight availability.

He did mention the strange food though which was alright for him as he will eat just about anything, and he didn't have the kids with him either. I remember his time in Seoul being a fairly long one too.

Pros and Cons really as with any airline. Hope this helps

Fisheress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast