Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freight, box, crate, suggestions please!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Freight, box, crate, suggestions please!

Right, remember that we're only coming over on VV, officially just visitors passing through but we all know we have no intention of coming back right? So we only have normal baggage allowance and were wondering what is the best way to get our stuff over? We don't want to bring loads and loads, even if we had PR we wouldn't bother with a crate because most of our furniture isn't worth bringing (although leaving my Saab 93 convertible behind is gonna be a wrench, I love the darn thing and it's so unlike me to become attached to material things) but we're quickly finding that the few things we would like to bring over are gonna cost a fortune to send by post. The dilemma is that even if we were to box stuff up for freight it would have to sit here in the UK until we were legit i.e. got a visa or PR and by that time we would have already needed the stuff in it and probably bought and replaced it anyway however, we are well aware that we're going to have to be careful with the money we are bringing with us.
    Debd offered to store some boxes of stuff for us if we sent it over by post. This way it would be delivered straight to her and we could pick it up when we got there, but I've checked with the PO and they want about ?100 for an 18 x 18 x 16 inch box - now we're not gonna get a lot of stuff in that are we? We were thinking of sending our winter clothes, boots and stuff over, blankets (as suggested by moose) and then things like special ornaments we want to keep (there aren't that many), photos, cd's(I suppose we could consider loading them onto the hard drive and MP3's), dvd's (not many mainly Poppys Disney stuff that I think is important for her to have when we get there), books (we are in the process of selling as many as we can on the old ebay), kids toys (again important for the settling in but we will be selective), guitar, saxophone, golf clubs, the PC and what about power tools? Are they reasonable to replace?
    We thought about packing extra suitcases and paying the excess baggage charge at the airport but it clearly states that excess baggage will only be allowed if there's room so we could risk having to leave it behind. What would they do with it in that case - send it on another flight or by cargo or something?
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Would it be possible for me to freight say a 6ft sq box over to someone without too many questions being asked? I mean, they would just think it was their stuff from the UK being sent to them wouldn't they. There's nothing sus in there at all just ordinary household stuff.
    We really are trying to get rid of as much stuff as possible but we're quickly realising that the stuff we do want to bring or that it makes sense for us to bring because it will help our money to go further, is amounting to more than we first thought. :-[
    Please help :-/
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Freight, box, crate, suggestions please!

Dawn, I take it, by saying your stuff will have to remain in the UK until you are legit, means that you’re aware that, if you sent it before that time that you’d have to pay 12.5% GST on it when it arrives in NZ?  Those with PR or WP for over 12 months can bring their possessions in without being charged GST.  

We sent 13 boxes of household items from the UK to Oman the last time we were there and it cost us about £500 (doesn’t help much when you’re going to NZ, but gives you some idea of cost).  That was door to door.  We used a shipper and it was reasonably straight forward.  

You have several options for sending things:

part load in a container – you share a container with either a company or another person

palleting where they bung all your boxes onto a pallet and shrink wrap them then stick them on a plane or stuff them into a container as a part load.

sending it excess baggage – very expensive but speedy as it probably flies on the same plane with you.

sending it unaccompanied baggage – not quite so expensive but still reasonably speedy.  It could be on a different plane to you and might arrive a few days after you.

I don’t know how you’d stand with GST, using the last 2 options as your stuff would be arriving with you or shortly afterwards.  As you know, it could be very awkward having a load of your things arriving when you’re only there on a VV.  Maybe the first 2 options would be safer - store in the UK then ship it out when you have your visa in place.  Once you get jobs it shouldn’t take very long at all to get WPs and you can start the wheels turning to have your stuff shipped out.  

I think it still applies that flying with Air NZ via the US you’re allowed extra baggage allowance of 23 kg. x 2 each.  Still not enough for what you say you want to bring and it’ll be a struggle shifting all those cases around, but it might enable you to take more with you that you think you’ll need immediately you get there.  When are you thinking of going?  I have it in my mind that it’s around the middle of the year?  If so, that’ll be winter time in NZ and you’ll be needing your winter clothes with you.

If you want to send a box of items over to someone in NZ, they will have to see it through the MAF inspection, do all the paperwork and, I imagine, will be expected to know all about the contents in case any questions are asked.  Could get a bit awkward, especially if there's the odd item that doesn't quite conform to their rules.  

Your best bet would be to talk to several freight forwarders to see what they come up with by way of suggestions and prices.  You won’t be committed to any of them, but it’d give you a good idea of what you’re up against.  I think I’d be having a dummy run now by seeing how much I could cram into all those suitcases and then stuffing the remainder into one or more cardboard boxes, just to see how it all fits in.  If you do it now it, at least, gives you a bit of time to think about how you’re going to deal with it rather than leaving it until later on. If you need to store in the UK while you're waiting for your visas, the shippers can do this and you just need to let them know when to send it out.  
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Hey MB, thanks for that and yeah I did know about the duty on imported goods, that's why we have the dilemma. I don't think we would have as many as 15 boxes as you say you did, and I think ?500 is a fair enough price for that but it seems that shipping to NZ could be more expensive.
    I think what Deb was suggesting was just shipping her a couple of boxes over with oridnary stuff in them. There'won't be anything that could compromise NZ MAF, for eg as you say it will be winter when we land and we were considering sending over our sweaters, winter coats, woolies, boots (steam cleaned of course) that kind of thing. Deb said that her mum sent some big boxes over at Christmas and they went through customs without a hitch, she didn't see a problem with us doing the same. Does the receiver have to fill out paperwork for receiving a parcel then? What does this entail? Surely hundreds of people are sent overseas packages all the time, that would be an awful lot of paperwork wouldn't it? I'm not talking about massive boxes full of stuff like gardening tools, crockery, glassware, lawn mowers, anything even remotely like that. Just extra clothes, maybe 1 regular (18x 18 x 18 inch) box of toys, 1 box of ornaments and photos, 1 box of dvds and cds, some golf clubs and a coupe of musical instruments.
    What for instance if Deb had bid for some golf clubs on ebay in the UK from NZ and won. The clubs have to be shipped to her NZ address, would this be queried and would she have to file paperwork to receive them?
    Any further help please.

Blog Entries

Me again   ::)   ;D.

I agree that an awful lot of parcels must arrive in NZ but I think it could depend on what’s in them and how they arrive e.g. post, shipping, air, as to how they’re dealt with.  There would certainly be more paperwork involved with, say, a containerised shipment than just a couple of boxes as there’s a lot more stuff to go through.  I would think sending just one or two parcels by post or courier would be a lot simpler than the hassle of shipping or air freight which seem to come in for intense scrutiny.  I’ve sent small parcels abroad many times and have just had to fill in a customs’ declaration form about the contents and mark that it was a gift and there was no problem, so I think the crux of the matter is how big the load is that you want to send and whether what’s inside complies with customs’ idea of what’s allowed in free of GST.  They may differentiate between gifts for someone and household/personal goods.  I read a while ago that residents/WP holders are only allowed one delivery of personal belongings free of GST.  In other words, one bite of the cherry, so if Deb has already had a shipment in and your belongings are classed as household/personal, they may pick up on this and a problem may arise.  I really don’t know but I hope someone else on here does.  Perhaps they've also taken delivery of items from outside NZ, like Ebay, as you say.    

Referring back to shipping our 13 boxes, hubster had to show his Omani residency visa at the time we were arranging the shipment in the UK.  I can’t say offhand why this was (I wasn’t paying attention in class at the time ) because there’s no such thing as tax here, so maybe it was to avoid paying customs’ duty.  Also when I went to live in Kuwait, I shipped 3 tea chest size boxes of my clothes and a few other bits and pieces.  I sent it to hubster and he went to collect it and had to show his residency.  That was all fairly straight forward so I don’t know if NZ is more picky about it.  

This is a link to a site that mentions Parcel Force and zone 11 shows you the prices of parcels from UK to NZ.  Then there’s Excess Baggage a company that deals with just that.  This is their NZ page and this shows all the documentation required which might be interesting to read through in case it applies to other services.  Perhaps you could also give a courier service like DHL a ring and ask about their service to NZ, what is involved in sending a large parcel or two to a friend in NZ and asking for a quote.  Pick their brains.  They may give you some useful info about restrictions or necessary documentation that will alert you if there’s likely to be a problem with sending it to Deb.  Perhaps Deb can ask her mum how she went about it and if there was any formality she had to undergo.

Perhaps I’m overly complicating the matter, but you know what NZ is like for being a stickler for anything or anyone that enters their hallowed doors.  
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

I'll stick this on here in case it's of any use. It's the customs' charges on goods imported from overseas. Haven't had time to read it through but it might give some indication on how they handle stuff that comes into the country.
    Mother Bear

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I'll stick this on here in case it's of any use. ?It's the customs' charges on goods imported from overseas. ?Haven't had time to read it through but it might give some indication on how they handle stuff that comes into the country.
    Reading that I notice that gifts with a value over $110 are subject to duty. ?Something to bear in mind. :-?

Our experience may be a little out of date now, as we came over in June 2005. ?We came to NZ on a VV - the six of us came over the AirNZ via LA route and we could have taken 12 suitcases (we took 11). ?Actually, I wonder if we were entitled to that allowance considering we were on a VV rather than having been granted the right to live in NZ ... anyway, we did it. ?In those suitcases were clothes, duvet covers, sheets, towels, saucepans, cutlery, a few kids toys, documents, etc. ?

We chose to buy such things as duvet inners in NZ as they took up too much room in suitcases. ?We bought other new things, and basically coped with minimal furniture until we received the contents of the container two months later. ?You would be surprised how few possessions one really needs. ?We hadn't got PR by that time but had escaped paying duty due to the fact that we told them our application was in the system. ?We thought they were going to charge a returnable 'bond', but they didn't - probably because (in our case) PR was expected within three weeks, even though it did take seven weeks.

I think you have to be respectful of the rules, but they do try and help new immigrants if they are genuine - it is not a good start to NZ life for a new immigrant to have to pay 12.5% duty on their household effects. ? ?They do try to watch for the odd person importing with their household effects, or at a later date in posted packages, items which they will then sell in NZ to make money.

I don't know how long you expect you will waiting for PR. ?Depending on that, keeping your stuff in UK storage for a month or so would be a better idea than keeping it in storage in NZ, as Customs and MAF will want to process it within a month or two.

:)

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Blog Entries

Glenda we've got no idea how long we'll be waiting for PR coz we haven't even got any jobs or anything lined up. We're coming with nothing but enthusiasm and goodwill! So, PR could take years/months/weeks, we just don't know! :o

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Our experience was..
    We had our goods collected from Wimbledon stored for 8 months whilst travelling Asia and amazing nafter requesting shipping took just 4 weeks to arrive.
    The goods of 18 boxes being mostly dive/ski gear, pc's and clothing.
    It cost us about ?1400 all in.

Customs rang when the arrived and were very helpful and waived any fee for customs as we were straight with them and told them that we were on VV hoping to stay.
    We said there was only about ?6,000 worth.
    He just said we would have to pay if we shipped and household goods over.

All in all an easy and fast process and we have our warm clothing now ready for winter.if we can stay ;D ::)

Blog Entries

You just make things sound so easy macfod. We reckoned on doing just about the same as you had - think we'll just go for it. Thanks!! ;)

missvee is offline Senior Member

Hi Dawn, I was wondering, are you taking a car? I know a lot of people don't. I'm thinking of taking mine and filling it with personal stuff and bedding etc. Saying that I hope I can.
    Just an idea.
    Missvee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast