Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I please get the low down on PC's

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Can I please get the low down on PC's

I keep reading here and there that it's not worth bringing your PC over because it won't work. But then I read that some people have taken theirs and they're fine. I told Gary we can't take ours coz it won't work and he asked why, I said 'it just won't', he said 'why?', I said 'people say they don't', he said 'why?', I said 'the voltage is different or something and your screen won't work', he said...yeah you got it 'why?'
    So can anyone please tell us about this. Our hard drive, like everyone elses I'm sure is full of photos and music and God knows what else that I really don't want to leave behind. Do we have to transfer it all on to a transportable hard drive? Why can't we just bring the damn thing with us? :-/
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can I please get the low down on PC's

Calm down, Dawn . ?I'm sure you can take your PC. ?It's TVs that may cause a big problem rather than PCs, if they aren't NZ compatible. ?You may have to watch our for power surges in NZ, but they can occur in other countries as well and you can protect your system against those, anyway. ?Other than that I don't think there's a problem. ?

Taffy'll be the one to advise you, as I know they took their PC with them. ?We're going to take ours (if I haven't thrown mine in the bin before then )
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

moose is offline Senior Member

We brought ours over with us Dawn and it works fine and our TV does but we only bought the one TV as like many others were/have be told they probably won't work but I'd now advise anybody to bring rather than sling cos you can always sling it when you get here if there's a problem, if not then think of the money you'll save.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

There's no problems with voltages or anything from the UK, its the way the magnetic fields work in the southern hemisphere as opposed to the northern hemisphere. Everything you bring will work, but CRT tvs and computer monitors (standard ones with tubes) can be affected. LCDs and Plasma TV's should work without issue. PC's themselves work without issue.

The worst that will happen is your picture will be funny, or your colours will look odd. I'd say if you're a gambler and you've got a container with some spare room, anything is worth a try. If you're more cautious, then sell your TV or monitor before you come. Just remember, it's only CRT screens that get affected!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys, pleased about that :) Another one ticked off the list :o

nattydread is offline God like figure

The main issue on the tv front is the PAL system used in britain as opposed to nz.

Our main UK telly, an old Sony, plugged in and fired up fine here and found Prime no worreis.. There was some purple shadows around the centre of the screen, but we could have lived with that..

PC monitor works fine and dandy.. even thought its an old CRT type..(very nineties i know..)

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

You want to check the back of your PC ... you should have a switch near the power plug to switch from 110v to 220v. Slap on an adapter and you should be fine.

I wonder if it may even be possible to buy a new power cord (to run from the PC's powersupply to the wall) and therefore eliminate the need for an adapter.

I hope my Wii is as easy to use in NZ ... 8-)
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Sure you can buy a separate power cable for your PC. Just pop into any Discksmith shops.

Blog Entries

I hope my Wii is as easy to use in NZ ... ?8-)
    :(Sorry to hear of the anxieties you have about your water works performing properly in NZ KiwiHopeful but is this really the place to be discussing such things :-?

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

I hope my Wii is as easy to use in NZ ... ?8-)
    :(Sorry to hear of the anxieties you have about your water works performing properly in NZ KiwiHopeful but is this really the place to be discussing such things :-?
    I use my Wii every night after the kids go to bed and for several hours on Saturday and Sunday ... If I can't plug it in in New Zealand, I don't know how I'll keep myself entertained!
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast