Thread: Can anyone tell me about the NZ Expo?

Kirsty33 is offline Junior Member

Default Can anyone tell me about the NZ Expo?

Hi guys! Hubby and I just decided to pack up and move to NZ. So I'm hoping I'll get lots of great tips from this forum! :D A couple of you mentioned a job expo that you are attending soon....can anyone tell me a bit about this? It's the first I've heard of it
    Looking forward to hearing from you all! Kirsty

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can anyone tell me about the NZ Expo?

Hi Kirsty,

Sorry, this is a belated welcome to the forum . It’s easy to overlook that introduction thread as it’s stuck up at the top. Hope we can be of some assistance to you.

I guess there’s not so many of our members going to the expos this year, as a lot of them already made the move downunder last year.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

firing1 is offline Member

Hi Kristy,
    I've been over to the UK expo's twice now and although won't be coming over in March may way be back in the UK for the october expo's. They are very busy and can be quite tiring but there is plenty of time to get round them. Talk to the people on the economic development stands as they have good links to jobs, these will be regional stands such as rotorua, tauranga etc. Most of these people aren't going to be at the March expo but have signed up for the October 2007 expo's. Most people won't take your CV on the day (lots of paperwork to carry back to NZ) but some will.
    Just relax be prepared to queue and ask lots of questions. The bar in the hotel after the show can be a good place to talk to the exhibitors in a more relaxed atmosphere.
    hope this helps

Paul Goddard

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hi Kirsty
    we went to one of the expo's in London this time last year and I have to say we didn't find it very helpful at all and we were disappointed. We went imagining it would be a big buzzy (and I do mean with a bit of a buzz) event with loads of people to talk to and lots of free information on offer. Neither my partner nor I have prescribed occupations i.e. we're not doctors, nurses, midwives, teachers, IT consultants, plumbers,.....you know what I mean and we felt that the shows were set up primarily for these types of people. There were lots of health boards represented, one stand for teaching, there was one other recruitment agency that I can't remember the name of. The rest of the stands were removal companies, banks, real estate agents, a stand about university education for overseas students, very few others, oh NZIS of course, but the queue was the full length of the hall and didn't alter all day. I think they were mainly there to answer any questions you may have about filling in your forms and you could pick up the forms there as well. The seminars were quite informative but were at an extra cost and only really told us what we already knew about the points system and the different options for entering the country available. To be honest, we've probably learned more from the people on this forum.

We travelled from Nottingham, not as far as some other people we know, and with hindsight, wouldn't have bothered. However, if you are looking for work in any of the afore mentioned areas it could be well worth your while, there have been people from this forum that actually secured their jobs at these events (telephone interviews pending).

So that's what we think, hope this helps :)
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Kirsty33 is offline Junior Member

Hi and thanks for the replies. I think the Expo is actually just what I need - I have lots of questions so having everyone I need all in one place would be pretty handy. Might leave the kids at home though - doesn't sound like their thing and I can't imagine trying to entertain them in queues all day! I found a link to the London expo in a couple of weeks just incase anyone else is keen. http://www.expo-newzealand.com/
    Seeya, Kirsty :D

firing1 is offline Member

Hi there,
    the description of the expos is correct and what you have to remember is that the main reason for them is to fill the skills shortage that we have in New Zealand. That's why it's all healthboards etc. If you don't fit into the skills shortage field then this forum is a much better place to get info (and even if you do). That's also why I mentioned the economic development stands as they cover all industries in their region who have skills shortages so if you are a mechanic or cabinet maker you are better off talking to these people as they should know of all the vacancies in their region and if they don't they will be able to find out for you. If you do go along make sure you pick up the business card of whoever you talk to and then you can chat to them for as long as you like via email etc.

Paul G