Thread: advice needed

jiwi is offline Junior Member

Default advice needed

hi all,

I'm from the uk. and I'm getting married to a kiwi next week. I spoke to the immigration office and i can't just apply for PR immediatly. Has anyone had experience of this situation?
    I'm currently on a work permit that expires on October this year,and the guy from immigration said i need to prove I've lived with her for 12months! and I've only live with her for 1 !!! . My work permit isn't based on my job, even though it is a perminant job, it was based on my ex-partners work permit, who i seperated from last year..

any one have advice or experience with this situation please HELP!

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Re: advice needed

That's a bit crap int it!! If you're married, you're married, surely they can't keep you apart? Are you already in NZ? There can't just be a 12 month rule coz peeps meet, fall in love and get wed quicker than that all the time although.....from a more cynical perspective they're probs thinking that you could be doing it just to get in through the old back door!

Don't know the answer matey. Hopefully someone will have some good news for you though.

Good luck ;)
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Jiwi, welcome to the forum.

It is true that you need to prove you have been living together with your partner for 12 months or more before you can apply for a permit or Permanent Residence off their backs, so to speak. ?Had you already been living together for the requisite time your fiance could easily have sponsored you for PR under the Partnership Policy but as you see from this link, it does state you need to prove the 12 month rule.

Aren't you able to apply for a different Work Permit, one that is attached to your job, in order to tide you over for the full 12 months of living together? ?If you have a job you should be able to get a WP and if you have a new WP it will buy you some time to get your 'living together' time in. If your circumstances have altered I would think you could apply for a change in the details of the permit or, preferably, get a new one that is linked to your job. ?Alternatively, would it be possible to extend your current WP to cover the extra time you need, although you'd need it for the balance of the 12 months, plus the time it takes for the PR application to go through? ?Perhaps a chat with immigration might offer up some suggestions as to the best way to go on this one.

Dawn, I think you're right about the rule cutting out those who latch up with partners just to gain residency or citizenship in another country (we won't mention the money and better lifestyle :-X) . ?We see it all the time out here in the Gulf where there are literally thousands of doddery, wrinkly old Brits or Americans with darling little Asian girls hanging on their arm. ?You know instinctively that something ain't right and we've suffered along with several male friends who've come badly adrift because of it. ?Having said that, some of the marriages do work out and the parties involved live happily ever after. ?I guess you could say that NZIS is being cruel to be kind with this ruling by trying to ensure that the relationships have had at least some chance to mature and gain some stability. At the same time, if a partner is determined enough to get their foot firmly in the door of another country, 12 months out of their lives isn't much, is it? ?

Hope you have a great day for your wedding. ?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thanks guys,,,

dawn i am in nz,,and im sure they won't force me home to the uk to be appart from my wife...i was pretty pissed off about that when immigration said it!!ggrrr haha..

thanks guys..I'l have to see what happens i guess.

moose is offline Senior Member

No, Don't just see what happens, do as mother bear has said and ask immigration of the other options MB gave you and then you will have peace of mind.
    How Long Have you been in your present job, can your employer now do you a referrence letter for immigration, stating that you are have been and still employed by them and for the forseeble future, have you saved all your wage slips, if so send to imigration copies of them. ?Do Everything you can possible and Good Luck.

Best Wishes For the Wedding Next Week!!!!!! [smiley=057.gif] [smiley=060.gif] [smiley=Drunks.gif]

Blog Entries

No, Don't just see what happens, do as mother bear has said and ask immigration of the other options MB gave you and then you will have peace of mind.
    Oh Moose, you're so masterful. :-* ;D
    Mother Bear

so demanding !haha.

no really,,I've been at this place since mid October last year,,but was temping, and got made perm on Jan 8th.

and to be honest i want to leave asap!! hahaa...but I'd do the job for the rest of the year if it meant i could stay out here with my lovely wife to be!!..

Blog Entries

....and to be honest i want to leave asap!! hahaa...but I'd do the job for the rest of the year if it meant i could stay out here with my lovely wife to be!!..
    Have you considered looking for another job that you'd be happier with? Then you could apply for a Work Permit linked to that employer. I know if you move from one job to another i.e. when the first job is linked to a WP, you need to apply for a variation in the conditions of the WP (at a cost, of course ::) ). However, I don't know how you stand if your WP is linked to your former partner.

Regardless, you will obviously need some form of WP come October when your current one expires and you can't work without one. Kill 2 birds with one stone - get a new job and apply for a WP for that new job. Your new employer should be able to assist you in this. I doubt you'd need to wait until October to do this either.

If in doubt, check out what NZIS have to suggest on the matter.
    Mother Bear