Thread: One reason why we take out marine insurance

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default One reason why we take out marine insurance

Arrrggghh! ? Let's hope the ship's not carrying personal effects containers, too.

50 containers fall off beached ship
    The Press Association - Sunday January 21, 06:15 AM

Coastguards are on alert after severe gales rocked a beached cargo ship, throwing 50 containers into the sea near Sidmouth, Devon.

The MSC Napoli is carrying nearly 2,400 containers, some of which contain potentially dangerous chemicals.

Anti-pollution teams are also on standby although the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said it does not think any of the containers containing chemicals have been dislodged.

The London-registered vessel was at the centre of a storm-lashed rescue operation in the English Channel on Thursday after it was disabled when the engine room flooded more than 40 miles from the Cornish coast.

All 26 crew of the 62,000-tonne Napoli were plucked to safety by rescue helicopters as they abandoned the ship in 40-foot seas and 70mph winds.

The drifting vessel was being towed to Portland for a salvage operation but the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said it was beached following "serious structural failure".

"Risk assessments have been carried out. The priority is to gain as much shelter as possible and keep the vessel in one piece. Therefore the decision has been made to beach the vessel and ballast it down east of Sidmouth," a spokesman said.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default Re: One reason why we take out marine insurance

That report made me cringe, because it's probably my greatest worry about immigrating. I know I'd survive losing all my belongings, but my heart would still break over losing family momentos and certain personal items. My aunt & uncle lost their posessions when they transfered to Algeria for two years. Fortunately, I believe they had taken only necessary items. But what an ordeal to replace all that! Insurance? Definitely.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

missvee is offline Senior Member

:( Unfortunately I think it was carrying personal effects. I remember seeing a few of the containers burst open on the beach and the reporter commentating about personal stuff. Shows the insurance is worth it. You can't replace the personal stuff, I may take pictures and stuff with me.
    Missvee

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Yes, I'm planning to either take photos & important documents with me, or ship them by air. There are some things that are worth the cost to do so.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s