Thread: How was it for you? (Xmas Day, that is!)

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default How was it for you? (Xmas Day, that is!)

Following on from the "How will you spend your Christmas Day" thread, I was wondering how your Christmas fared. ? :)

With us, the kids opened their pressies, then at 10am we went to a typical Kiwi bach by the sea 20km north of Kaitaia with our neighbour. ?With the salad and veggies, we ate mussels, turkey, ham and fish freshly caught and smoked in a little shed at the rear of the bach by our hosts. ?Dessert was the typical Kiwi pavlova, trifle and fresh fruit salad. ?Super yummy. ?Afterwards the kids went swimming in the sea (which was a little too chilly for me!). ?A really pleasant day.

Boxing Day here was really hot and, once the duck and Xmas pud was cooked, the kitchen was so hot my feet left imprints on the floor! ?We made a trip to The Warehouse on Boxing Day - what an experience! ?It was absolutely heaving with bargain hunters! ? ?

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How was it for you? (Xmas Day, that is!)

Your Christmas Day sounds lovely Glenda :)

For our part, I ended up waking up the little 'un at 8am ( :o) and all stockings and presents were duly opened by 9am. Then we went off to our local winery for a slap-up buffet lunch - turkey, pork, steak, ham, salad, potatoes, etc, then pavlova, lemon cake, cheesecake, etc. Was a lovely day out, even though we had to wait a while for our food..... Then off to our friends for some more food and we played Cluedo (DVD version) which was a real laugh.

Boxing Day was glorious weather here too but, apart from visiting our local DIY shop, we stayed in. We helped our daughter start her own mini-garden - planting broccoli and sunflowers :)

We've just come back from Mount Maunganui (I was going there today, rain or no rain >:() and met up with Maggie and the Moos ;D

All in all, a nice relaxing holiday period so far, although the skip arrives tomorrow and we're back to doing up the house.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

For our part, I ended up waking up the little 'un at 8am
    I warmed you about giving her that bottle of brandy! ? ;D

As you may well know, Christmas isn?t celebrated in this part of the world, so we didn?t expect much. ?This is our third Christmas here, but I still found it odd to see the children being picked up for school and everyone else was going to work as normal. ?It affected me more this year for some reason. ?I felt like shouting ?Oi, don?t you know it?s Christmas?!?

We had a leisurely morning (hubster having taken a day of work) and then went to a hotel for Christmas lunch. ?It was our third year at this restaurant and each time it seems to go a bit more downhill. ?They?d stepped up the Christmas atmosphere this year, but it was at the expense of the food ? cold plates, less than hot food and a very mean helping of meat. ?Although we were early, the turkey had been stripped already and the guy dishing it out dumped a small forkful of shreds on my plate ? he was really getting the most out of that turkey. ?I waited for some more but he wasn?t giving out and just ignored me. ?Hubster stood his ground and managed to get a bit more, but it was very disappointing. ?The Christmas pudding was lovely, but the custard was abysmal ? watery, lumpy and very suspect. ?I don?t think we?ll go there again next year, if we?re still here. ?

After lunch we went for a long walk on the beach. ?Clouds were gathering and it was quite windy, but, nevertheless, we enjoyed it. ?That was followed by a trip to the supermarket as, of course, everything was open. ?And that was it! ?Not very memorable, but not to worry it's the Eid al Adha holiday after the weekend so hubster will have 6 days off, including the weekend. ?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Not quite Christmas Day, but this is how it was a few days later for these poor folks.

Tanker's 40 tonnes of mayhem
    By KATHY WEBB and ADAM RAY - The Dominion Post | Monday, 1 January 2007

John Ashman was sitting in his lounge watching television when he heard a sickening rumbling sound outside and braced himself. Moments later, a 40-tonne milk truck smashed through his home.

The impact shunted Mr Ashman - who was on the couch recovering from a broken ankle - into his kitchen, breaking his other leg. When the dust settled Mr Ashman, the sole occupant in three houses hit by the tanker fully laden with 25,000 litres of milk, realised he was lucky to be alive.

The tanker driver told witnesses he had choked on a lolly and may have blacked out, causing a crash that firefighters thought had killed everyone involved. The Fonterra tanker veered off State Highway 2 north of Waipawa, central Hawke's Bay, and crashed through four properties at about 8pm on Saturday night.

Witnesses pulled Mr Ashman from the wreckage of his house as the tanker driver stumbled from his vehicle, his face covered in blood. "When we first got there, the reaction was, `We are going to have dead bodies everywhere'," said Waipukurau deputy chief fire officer Gordon Annand.

The tanker clipped a fence outside a house full of people and then careered through two unoccupied homes before coming to a halt inside Mr Ashman's. His sister Lynne Hulton, who lives next door to her brother, was camping at a nearby river and rushed home to find a massive hole had been smashed though her house.

"It went right through the middle of my house. The bathroom is intact but the kitchen, my bedroom and half the lounge have gone. My house is matchsticks. If we'd been there we'd have been killed." Mrs Hulton was so shocked by the destruction that she suffered an epileptic fit. Mr Ashman was last night recovering from surgery in Hawke's Bay Hospital, with a leg broken in two places.

Central Hawke's Bay District Council has declared all three houses hit by the truck unsafe for habitation. "Two of the houses are unstable and may need to be demolished," a spokeswoman said.

Philippa Campbell, who lives in the first house hit by the truck, was visiting family nearby. She and four-year-old daughter Sonique normally sleep in one of the rooms hit by the truck. "That would have been the end of me."

Wendy McLaughlin was smoking out the back of her house, which is for sale, when she heard a boom as the truck went though the front of her property and wrecked the three neighbouring houses. "It's a Christmas miracle, it has to be, that no one was hurt."

Passer-by Phil Perry was one of three people who shoved aside fallen brickwork to pull Mr Ashman from his ruined house. "We picked him up and dressed him."

The tanker driver, who suffered facial injuries, was upset, Mr Perry said. "He had to ring his wife and tell her what had happened. He told us he must have choked on a lolly he was eating."

Constable Neil Baker said police were still investigating the crash. "It was horrific, it was like a war zone."

A Fonterra spokesman said the driver had been with the company for nearly 10 years. Fonterra was investigating the crash and the spokesman would not comment on what had caused it.

Article which includes video clip. ?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Not quite Christmas Day, but this is how it was a few days later for these poor folks.

Saw that on the tv ... it is absolutely amazing no one was seriously hurt. Two houses demolished, and empty at the time! Apparently the driver says he was eating sweets to help stop his smoking and choked on one.

:-/
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Jodie is offline Senior Member
    Tauranga (since May 2007) - Wellington for 3 years before that!

Firstly - HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Hope you all had a great Christmas!

We had a lovely time - we were up in Taupo for 10 days with Daz's Dad and his wife who are over here traveling at the moment. Christmas day was spent opening pressies over bacon sarnies, then we took the boat out for a few hours so Daz could try out his new wakeboard (he did really well on it actually!). Then it was back to the bach for a BBQ with all the usual barby delights, as well as fresh rainbow trout that Daz and his Dad caught on the weekend, followed by a pav and plenty of wine and bubbles (of course!!) :)

Then on boxing day we bundled the in-laws into the car, hooked the boat on and headed off to Lake Ohakuri (1/2 hour north of taupo) for a day of relaxing, wake boarding, water skiing and exploring the lake. It's so beautiful and serene, the the bush and tree ferns coming right down to the lake edge, and the water was like glass in the area around the Orakei korako thermal reserve - absolutely stunning!

Then it was back to the bach for another BBQ on the deck and more relaxing (and wine :) ). A real outdoorsy Christmas for us - true kiwi style :D

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to experiencing one of those for ourselves next year!! Can,t wait. Our Christmas Day was spent travelling to Orlando. We got up at 3a.m. for the kids to open the few presents we took to the hotel with us, left at 6a.m.. flew at 9.30a.m. to Texas and then on to Orlando, hit the ground around 9.15p.m. their time which was really2.15.a.m. our time, took another 2 and a half hours to get through the airport and drive to the villa, so got there about 11.30p.m. their time, really 4.30 a.m. Boxing Day. Travelling for 25 hours straight!!!!! Man, was that hard. We lost Boxing Day altogether, in fact it hardly seemed like Christmas at all it seemed to come and go vitually unnoticed.

Won't be doing that again!!!!!
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Looking forward to experiencing one of those for ourselves next year!! Can,t wait. Our Christmas Day was spent travelling to Orlando. We got up at 3a.m. for the kids to open the few presents we took to the hotel with us, left at 6a.m.. flew at 9.30a.m. to Texas and then on to Orlando, hit the ground around 9.15p.m. their time which was really2.15.a.m. our time, took another 2 and a half hours to get through the airport and drive to the villa, so got there about 11.30p.m. their time, really 4.30 a.m. Boxing Day. Travelling for 25 hours straight!!!!! Man, was that hard. We lost Boxing Day altogether, in fact it hardly seemed like Christmas at all it seemed to come and go vitually unnoticed.
    Happy New Year Dawn!

What a journey! Regardless of those hours of travelling and missing much of Christmas (well, they are just days on the calendar anyway - we once had our 'Christmas Day' a couple of days later due to travelling) I do hope you enjoyed your Orlando stay and the kids especially had a great time!

:)

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Thanks Glenda and the same to you :) Orlando was what it was. The kids enjoyed it I found it harder to deal with, although Seaworld was amazing!!!

I've never travelled that far before. Everyone's got a good dose of jetlag. We've been home a week and the two youngest are still awake at 1.00 a.m. and snoring soundly at 8.30 a.m. It's really hard to re-establish their bedtimes but we'll keep trying. I'm tired now as I write this and it's 12.30. lunch-time.

Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land