Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How will you spend your Christmas Day?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default How will you spend your Christmas Day?

So, Christmas is nearly upon us once again. ?

Many of you have made huge changes to your lives since last Christmas. ?How will you be spending your Christmas Day and how will having a summer Christmas change your eating habits and traditions i.e. what will you be having for dinner and how will you spend the day?

So that those who've long since made the move or who are yet to do so won't feel left out, please add your festive plans as well.

I'll start by adding that we'll be going to a hotel with an English-style pub for our buffet Christmas lunch, followed maybe by a walk on the beach. ?Christmas Day isn't a holiday here, but hubster usually takes it off anyway. ?We haven't bothered with pressies or decorations since we've been here, so it's all very low key. ?Out shopping this morning, I did notice 2 rows of Christmas decorations for sale in the hypermarket so it must be starting to catch on. ?

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Re: How will you spend your Christmas Day?

Well, looking up on old correspondence to remind me, ::) last year I cooked a turkey as soon as I woke up as the temperatures were around 25 degrees day after day. Husband had come to visit us in NZ and the kids opened their few presents and several envelopes of money. We had our small turkey dinner early then went to the beach around 2-3pm and the kids tried out their new surfboards.

This year, husband will not be visiting us and I am not sure what we are doing. I may do the same as last year, cooking a duck instead of turkey and then going to the beach. However, we (and several other dozen people) have been invited to go to a bach an hour's drive north and the idea of a sociable Christmas is appealing.

[smiley=114.gif]
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi,

Well it doesn't feel like Christmas at all. We dont have a tree or any deccys up in the house as we head to BOP on Sat for the Festive Period.

We've found it strange that the shops and pubs aren't blaring the Xmas tunes, it just feels more like our holidays are upon us rather than Xmas.

We're going to Opotiki and staying in a Motel and spending Xmas with our friends that we stayed with when we first arrived. We're going to their parents where all their family will be. We'll be doing a BBQ, swimming in the pool, outdoor games and a few drinkies I think. It's going to be tough without our family but I'm sure spending it with friends will be a good substitute.

Stu and I have decided not to buy Xmas pressies and use the money we would have to do some experiences.

At New Year we're going to Taupo to a bach and spending a few days there with a couple we met when we moved to Wellie.

It's all very different from our white xmas in Edinburgh last year!

Hope everyone has a good Xmas and amazing New Year!

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hello everybody,

We have just finished watching a Christmas dvd with the tree-a-twinkling and it's a dull day so the mood feels good right now!
    This is the first time that I haven't really thought about the actual day with regards to food etc. We aim to buy a turkey and all the usual trimmings. (M&S if you're reading.... please open a store in Auckland!)....
    I've been making the effort to play old Christmas music everyday. I've made extra decorations aswell which is nice, (cloves in oranges, collected pine cones, handmade Christmas stockings, button wreaths etc.... ) I love it, ha!
    We have no actual plans for the day after our meal so we may take a walk along the beach. I like the fact that we don't have plans as I hate that when all you want to do is veg out on your own after such a feast!
    Happy Christmas everyone

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

We'll be doing the usual 'up at 5am to open presents' no doubt, with a 6 year old in the house ?:)

I'm on strike this Christmas ( [smiley=smiley20.gif]) so we've decided to go for a meal in the local winery - v.posh ?[smiley=003.gif] ?Planned on taking a walk along Mount Maunganui beach in the afternoon, but we'll probably be too stuffed, so I guess we'll leave that till Boxing Day - I think one of the best presents for our daughter will be chasing the waves, which she absolutely loves doing - oh the simple pleasures of childhood ?[smiley=069.gif]

Christmas is always hard for me, missing my 3 boys back in Wales, but our plans should see me through

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to all our forum members [smiley=Santa.gif]

justNoZi is offline Member

Hotel booked in cloudy bay. well gonna be on my own so thought place which maybe remind me of one my fave places in the world - Sancerre in France - would be a good idea. hope so anyways. except hopefully find a beach nearby and get a swim in too. cant wait.

i like the tought of the posh meal in the winery Welshgirl, enjoy, i'm sure you will.

haha Debd M&S - yeah miss that too, tho not the prices eh :)

Oh and spending lots on calls and texts to friends and family - lucky vodafone.co.nz is what i say ::)

you all sound like your gonna enjoy, well i hope you all have a great time. Merry Christmas and avery happy new year.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Hey Welshgirl, if you're heading down to Mount Maunganui on Xmas Day/Boxing Day, give us a shout and we could meet up to build some sandcastles on the beach (if there is any space on the beach with all the JAFA's down for the customary booze up and riots, or so I've been led to believe from previous years!!) ?Would be great to meet you and Taffy, and your little cherub.

Re Christmas Day, we will have moved into new house on 22/12, picked up 2 new kittens on 23/12, built all the kids' toys (which Santa will be dropping off to us early!!) on the 24/12, so Christmas day will probably be spent shouting at each other, drinking too much cooking sherry and burning the turkey ?;D ;D ;D ?Seriously though, we are having Fingers_Crossed and family over for Christmas lunch (didn't want to leave the new kitties home alone on their 3rd day with us! Awww) - no doubt we will be eating too much, drinking too much and annoying all our new neighbours with our hysterical laughter at my attempts to succesfully cook a 50kg turkey in a miniscule oven!! ?;D

Hope everyone is having a good lead up to Christmas,

Maggie x

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Aaww justNoZi, Christmas Day on your own?? ?:( Where are you in NZ?? Feel free to pop into Hamilton if you're around and we'll sort you out with a few tinnies ?;D

Maggiemoo - awesome idea about meeting, we'd be up for that ?:) I've got your cellphone number so I'll text you and we'll arrange something ?[smiley=023.gif] (although I can't promise to bring a 'little cherub' along :-? - will a temperamental tomboy do??!!)

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hey y'all, I'm reading all your posts with a smile on my face! You all sound as if you're feeling about the same - looking forward to Christmas but knowing your going to miss those special family members - trying to make it as familiar as possible at the same time as embracing your new cultures. Sounds like a fun challenge to me and I know you'll all make it work, however you want to play the game.

We're off to Disney on Christmas Day, flying at 9.30 a.m. from Gatwick. The kids think we're going to Lanzarote though so that should be fun! We thought 'hey, we usually spend 2k on trying to buy a good Christmas and this year half of what we bought would be left behind in 6 months' so we decided to go for it and head for Florida instead. I've resisted oiling the wheels of the capitalist machine for this long but we figure we'll never be able to afford to do it again, a once in a lifetime thing and it will be a Christmas that my babies will never forget. I wasn't looking forward to it as theme parks are my idea of hell, but I'm getting quite excited now, especially as the kids haven't got a clue!! Awwwww - their little faces when they arrive at the check-in desk :D

Enjoy your Christmas whatever you're doing and wherever you are. Peace and love to all [smiley=Cheers.gif]
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I'm on strike this Christmas ( [smiley=smiley20.gif]) so we've decided to go for a meal in the local winery - v.posh ?[smiley=003.gif] ?
    You mean there's actually somewhere posh in Ngaruawahia? Didn't think there'd be enough well-heeled folks in that area to warrent any poshness, being mainly Maori and farmers. Hope you have a great time anyway and I'll look forward to sampling a Christmas meal there myself one day.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast