Thread: Two strawberry cones and a breathalyser please

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Two strawberry cones and a breathalyser please

Police may use ice cream trucks to catch drunk drivers
    10.10am Sunday December 3, 2006
    By Miles Erwin

Drunk drivers trying to sneak past police could be pulled over by an ice cream truck playing Greensleeves in a novel new campaign. Senior Sergeant Nick Dobson of the Central District traffic support unit said he had hired a wide range of vehicles for traffic patrol including campervans, buses, motorbikes and possibly an ice cream truck.

The blitz will concentrate on the central North Island and the Waikato over Christmas.

"Anything could be a police patrol car. We could be in an ice cream truck. We're trying to get people to think a bit more. But I don't want to give away too much. They might not even be motor vehicles. We could pull them over in anything - and it might not have four wheels," said Dobson.

When asked if that meant speeders could be targeted by police officers decked out in leather on Harley Davidsons, Dobson laughed. "Did I say motorbike? It could be anything - it might even be a push bike."

Dobson said the new ploy was an attempt to combat the image of the ubiquitous police Holden on the road. "It's pretty easy to tell what an undercover police car looks like. If it's not a Commodore, it's a Ford. If we have to be sneaky to catch these people then sneaky we will be. Being sneaky means different vehicles and different tactics."

Road policing manager, Superintendent Dave Cliff, said the policy had been used before, especially in the South Island. The vehicles don't pull drivers over but radio ahead to marked police cars.

Cliff said it cut the effectiveness of the rural grapevine that gave police locations. "In rural areas there's an effective grapevine where people warn drunk drivers about the police. "This is the best method of deterrent."

But AA spokesman Mike Noon was bemused by the tactic and said police should concentrate on road blocks in problem areas. "I wouldn't think the problem is people seeing police cars and avoiding them. When they put in a stop there is no avoiding that."

Dobson first unleashed the scheme in Palmerston North in August. He said it was very successful but had disturbed a few locals. "Someone wrote to the paper saying, 'you've upset my kids. They're scared there's a big burly policeman in the back of the ice cream truck'."
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Two strawberry cones and a breathalyser please

You may well laugh MB, but from what I gather from my demoralised hubby, just completing his police training, nothing is surprising!!!!

Am opening a sweep stake as to how long he will actually last as a Kiwi police officer!
    Once in the job, the UK bobbies are dropping out like flies!

Fisheress

Blog Entries

Once in the job, the UK bobbies are dropping out like flies!
    Very worrying, Fisheress. Is the reason something you can share with us?
    Mother Bear

I think it's just that policing in very backward compared to home, it's not as professional an outfit and the Kiwi police can't even imagine where our boys are coming from.

They don't have the intelligence systems to link different crimes etc so a speeder on the motorway isn't linked in anyway to drug offences he/she may be wanted for, that kind of thing. Here the police don't even attend burglaries, they deal with them over the phone and may turn up days later to follow it up?!?

Another eg is that their murder expert had dealt with 5 in his career. UK bobbies on the CID would do that per couple of months.

Fisheress

Blog Entries

But what a shame that the kiwi police can?t/won?t learn from the Brits. It would increase their productivity so much more, but maybe that?s what they?re worried about? They might have to do some real work. :-/

I thought NZ wanted people like the Brits, Americans etc. to bring their skills to NZ. Very bad show if NZ isn?t prepared to take them on board and learn from them. I must admit I have read some scathing reports in the NZ media about the performance (or should I say ?non-performance??) of the police. Sounds like they could do with a good shakeup, like a bit of publicity to show what?s going on and why so many expat policemen are falling by the wayside. I know kiwis are seen to be laid back, but policing is one area where you can?t afford this luxury.
    Mother Bear

I know MB.
    I have found people in education the same. I was a manager in a huge primary school in the UK. Here I'm just an ordinary class teacher............which is what I wanted and I'm loving it. However, not once has a leader of the school asked me about education in England. In staff meetings my comments/ideas are often ignored and I think about my interview and think ...........they can't have had a clue what I was talking about. it is very frustrating..............but that's their way, and speaking to people in other jobs, it's exactly the same.

I think it's more bums on chairs than what skills you have to ofer. Mine have certainly been wasted this year!

Hey Ho!
    Fisheress