Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it really only 2 months???

moggy is offline God like figure

Default Is it really only 2 months???

Since we landed for good in NZ?
    It seems like a life time away.
    We landed in on September 18th. For the first 3 weeks we were just camping. We looked at a house that we had seen on the internet a few months earlier and fell in love with the place. We put the offer in, conditional on the sale in the UK proceeding - at the last minute after 3 months of negotiatio, the sale fell through. We ended up renting the place. The vendor bent over backwards to help us and we paid the deposit last week. Our house sold a second time in the UK and should complete in a couple of weeks. The place we have got is a 10 acre lifestyle block with 17 year old 3 bedroom house with a sleepout half the size of the main house, double garage, large shed and a swimming pool - more than we could ever dared to hope for. We have no neighbours and are 500metres from the sea, maybess 1km from Lake elesmere and the same from lake forsyth. The house is warm and well insulated. We haven't any livestock yet, but we hope to get some soon.

I have a job as a short term contract software tester, OH is working for Downers who have the maintenance contract for Telecom and telstra clear. We have a car a Ford Freda which is a car/campervan - you can sleep in it, it has a pop top but not kitchen or toilet.
    Our container arrived OK, except that NZ Vanlines have ripped us off with the MAF charges, they also threatened theft of our goods if we did not pay their inflated invoice (more than twice that MAF invoiced) . They have lied to us blantently to my face and not adhered to their promises to us, so if anyone is thinking about using a company who subcontracts to Vanlines, then well don't.
    What do we think to NZ? well we love it here life isn't that much different here, we both still work, we do similar jobs, but people are nicer, our house is nicer (and no mortgage) and we are less stressed oh and of course the scenery is way nicer. But then we haven't really had much time to enjoy this place, we dived in immediately and started looking for jobs, car, house and getting ourselves set up. At xmas I hope to have some time to relax.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is it really only 2 months???

Hey Moggy, that sounds fabulous. ?You're really well set up there with more or less everything you wanted and jobs as the cherry on the top. Must be idyllic. Do you both have far to commute to work if you're way out in the boonies? ?

Nasty business with NZ Van Lines. ?It's really time someone sorted them out for good, as there are so many aggrieved people who have been stung by them. ?It's bad news that they have the upper hand in that they're the ones holding your stuff to ransom. ?I can't understand why there's not some legal body that can regulate them so they're not allowed to get away with it all the time.

I hope things continue to go well for you and you have a chance to unwind and enjoy your new life during the Christmas holidays. ?Good luck to you both. ? Would be nice to see some photos if and when Taffy gets the new upload site up and running. ;)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Moggy,

Glad to hear you are settling down OK, though it must have been a bit stressy with the house sale. Your home sounds lovely, and you will have to get a sheep or goat to keep the grass down. :) The sleepout sounds a good idea too for when the rellies come to visit! ;)

Must admit I had to do a search to find out where Lakes Ellesmere and Forsythe are -south of Christchurch, near Banks Penninsula. If I remember that area right, there are many hills in the penninsula which stop at Lake Ellesmere where it is suddenly flat for miles around with many grasses and wading birds. [smiley=smiley20.gif]

The problem with NZ Van Lines has been going on for years. I recall some folks getting their money back after a lot of fuss, possibly after threats of exposure on forums, but it looks as if they are still just as intent to rip off new immigrants. Must leave a nasty taste in the mouth. >:( Not absolutely sure, but I think the only shipping companies that don't use NZ Van Lines are Crown and Allied Pickfords who have their own people in both countries.

Hope you find time to relax and enjoy life soon.
    :)

Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Moggy,

So good to hear that you are here, settled and happy. I remember your posts back in the UK when things weren't looking so good. Its amazing how a few months down the line things change so much for the better.

Again your place sounds fab just like Nick and Jacky's does. I am so jealous of everyone settling down and having somewhere to call home. We want to travel a bit more round NZ before settling down.

I hope things keep on the up for you. There's always going to be glitches when you do such a big move so dont let those silly van people get to you.

Take care!

Hi Moggy

Glad things are getting together for you. Bet you are looking forward to Christmas in your new place.

I was a bit alarmed at your problems with Van Lines. We had them to shift our gear from Port nelson to our home. baxtesr were our UK shippers, there agent here in NZ is Transworld and as they dont have an office / base at nelson - they subbed it to Vanlines. Transworld were spot on with the paperwork - only the MAFF fees to pay at cost. we had to store gear with Vanlines for a week and a bit - they charged us $220 for double handling and $120 a week storage. When they came to deliver they were bang on time and did a great job. Now this is the important bit i think, from what I can gather Vanlines is operated as a sort of franchise, a bit like Brittania is in the UK. In Nelson Van lines is operated by Delaney Transport Services - so it may well be worth you letting us all know the area your "branch" of vanlines is from and who they are as a local company.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Moggy, how cool is THAT!!!Sounds like you have a fantastic place. What animals are you thinking of having? More than a goat with ten acres I think!! Are you also thinking of growing anything? It all sounds very exciting :)
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

moggy is offline God like figure

The Van lines company was the one in Christchurch, good to hear at least that not all offices are so bad.

Yes it is hard to remember all the problems that we had getting here, the UK seems like a lifetime away.

ALthough we have 10 acres, the land here is very free draining with very thin topsoil so I think a couple of cows would be a reasonable amount of animals to feed from the land at the moment. However we have major plans underfoot to aquire serious tonnage of topsoil, compost and horse manure, so we hope it to be more fertile in a couple of years.
    here are some photos
    the view north

a few lawnmowers we borrowed for a week

the pool (OK so it is unheated, hence why on the lilo rather than in it)

our local beach - busy isn't it?

the house

the sleepout and one of the gardens/paddocks

not forgetting our first home in NZ - at least for 3 weeks :)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

?What glorious photos! ?Bet it feels good to wake up in the morning with views like that. ?10 acres, I can't imagine how big that is. ?We've only got 3.5 acres and that seems quite big enough.

What an exciting challenge with all that land to play around with. ?The possibilities are endless. ?Please keep us posted on what you're doing with it all. ?Will be interested to see how you get on, as I might glean some useful hints and tips for our place. We have no idea yet what we're going to do with our lot although fruit trees and bushes are calling me at the moment.?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Wow! ?What a lovely place! ?You must be very pleased with yourselves. ? :)

Tough cookies too it seems - you won't get me in a tent in spring up in the Far North let alone the South Island! ? :-[ ? Lying on a lilo in at this time of year on an unheated pool ... ?ooooh risky! ? ;D

The land will have thin topsoil because, as you have probably already found out, underneath is volcanic rock from eruptions six million years ago. ? Here's a picture I am sure you will recognise - I think that is Lake Ellesmere at the top middle left.

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

What a great location, Moggy. I'm glad that the UK house sale finally worked out, and that you were able to get your choice home in NZ. Congrats.

Maybe the VanLines parent company would like to hear how their franchises are giving them a bad name. I'll certainly beware of them.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast