Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all fron Nelson

Default Hi all fron Nelson

Sorry we have been AWOL for so long, been so so busy and been in a rental with no internet access. Anyway, just moved into our own house last monday & got broadband going today.........All is well, will post again tonight!!

Nick & Jacky

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi all fron Nelson

Hi Nick,

Hope everything's panning out as you planned down in Nelson. Looking forward to hearing how you're getting on. Good to hear from you again.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Nick and Jacky, [smiley=039.gif]

Hope you are settling down well in Nelson. We look forward to hearing how you are getting on. Congrats on your new home!

:)
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Well, its all been rather hectic1

We picked up our camper off Maui direct (its an ex rental - but tidy as hell). We then travelled the north island for 10 days - taking in Tauranga, Rotoroa & Taupo etc. We found a place that we had been looking for but knew it would be hard to track down. Its called Kerosene Creek - a thermal stream & small waterfall, in the woods, no changing facilities apart from the odd spruce to hide behind - some chance with by ass! It was so fantastic being "in touch with natre etc etc".

We landed in Nelson on 30th Sept and were shown straight to our rental, then 3 days later (ahem!) we bought our house - 1000m2, 4 beds, huge garage for the MG & our boat, pool, and views up onto the Richmond range. We are 15 minutes from the boat ramp. 1.625km from the nearest ale house ( I have a digital measuring gauge in my work ute!), and 5 minutes from the hills for our evening walks.

Everyone we have met so far have been very friendly - and those fellow immigrants who have "just got off the boat" too have been supportive also. We havebeen to a few "Nelson Newcomers Network" functions - most recently a picnic on Tanhuna beach. Jacky has settled in well and has a good circle of coffee-holics so that takes care of most of her mornings!

The kids are in a school of 600, as opposed to 34 in their UK school. They must be settling in well too, because the birthday party invite list gets longer as each week goes on.

All in all absolutely no regrets with our move, its a bit cheesy but we have had absolutely nothing that has knocked our enjoyment of Nelson - other than a twinge of homesickness.

Cheers for now

Nick

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Didn't you do well? Sounds like you've got nearly everything you could wish for, short of a win on the Lotto to pay for the boat.

It's good to hear from a different part of NZ as I don't think we've had anyone settling over that way. Looks like you're all set for an absolutely great and fun/action-packed summer. Enjoy!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

So pleased for y'all. I had been wondering how you were getting on. Great to hear from you guys, what's the weather like where you are?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Dawn - if it makes you feel any better the weather is wet wet wet!!!!!!!

Up in the Marlborough sounds they have 135mm of rain over the weekend. nelson was told to expect around 300mm this week end, but so far we have only had 50mm (thats how much the pool his risen by anyway!). Its warm enough though - 20 degrees in the day about 12 at night.

When we arrived in early october though it was bloody freezing! snow was falling on the hills behind Nelson. No frost though in Nelson.

When the sun shines though it burns like hell. And its only spring. Even with factor 30 I am still picking up a tan.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I don't mind the rain Nick, what I can't live with is wet, grey and dismally miserable. I don't mind the cold either, love going to turn my horse out early on a sharp, clear frosty morning but not when it's cold, wet, grey and dismally miserable. I need the light and bright, then I can cope with anything else.

Would really love a place out there with enough room for a couple of horses. We've been speaking with some farms on the outskirts of Welli that have rentals on their land. That'd be a good way to settle in wouldn't it, maybe help out with the animals and stuff. Can't wait, although I am starting to worry about money a bit. Hope it's just ordinary pre-move anxiety :-/
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Nick and Jacky,

Wow your place sounds amazing, I am so jealous of you both.

We are going to try and head down to the South Island after our contracts finish mid next year.

Bet you cant wait for the nicer weather to enjoy your surroundings. You'll need to post some photos of it all as it sounds so cool.

Have fun!

PS the homesickness isnt a nice thing, I've been getting waves of it the past few weeks but I think it's cos of Xmas coming. ..

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on settling in so quickly and well. It's good to hear from someone who moved to Nelson. Please continue to give your insights.

I liked it when we passed through - good market garden/truck farm land, and well placed between the Queen Charlotte Sound and Abel Tasman NP. It's a sister city to my own (Eureka), so I have inklings of using the "family connection" to get over there again.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast