Thread: move now?

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default move now?

Hi everyone, still waiting on my go ahead after my initial selection from the EOI. I have a job, references and medicals hopefully being in order. I didn't have the job when I first sent off my EOI and my prospective employer won't tell immigration I have a job until I have passed my medical etc. It's a chicken and egg situation.

Does anyone know about moving to New Zealand before actually being Invited to Apply? I would actually be applying from New Zealand while working. Will I have to apply for a work permit and would it take just as long anyway? Is there another way around all this? Am I being impatient? I don't want to lose this job.

I think it was July when I was accepted. How long is a peice of string?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: move now?

Hi Vee,

I would suggest contacting NZIS to tell them you now have a job offer as it could possibly mean extra points for you, depending on what type of job it is i.e. whether it?s on the ?Wanted? list. You could always explain that your boss is being a bit awkward and doesn?t wish to contact them until you?ve passed your meds, although I dare say they will need something from him to verify that he?s offered you the job. He?s putting you in a difficult situation. If the job offer bumped up your points enough, it could be that your application would then be fast-tracked, so it?s worth having a word with NZIS about your situation.

If you want to go to NZ to take up your employment, you could apply for a Work Permit, as you say, which would tide you over until your PR comes through. You would need a WP to be able to work legally in NZ anyway without PR and I don?t think they take very long to come through. It can be anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. If you'd rather go quickly to NZ, you could go on a Visit Visa and apply for your WP as soon as you get there.

I couldn't figure out from your post whether you've had your medical done or not as you said 'I have a job, references and medicals hopefully being in order.' I assume not or your boss would already know if you'd passed them or not. If you were to have them done in NZ they would be quite a bit cheaper and simpler, as a normal GP can do them there.

Congrats on getting the job, by the way.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

missvee is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a job as a midwife but HR wanted to know if all my jabs were up to date. They also wanted xrays and MRSA tests. I haven't got all of them as you know xrays are only valid for 3 months. I have had word back and it seems someone is on the ball and are going to contact immigration. This will bump my points up to 140 which is automatic selection in a sought after job. Watch this space!
    Vee

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

They're desperate for midwives in NZ so you should sail through now, providing the rest of your meds are OK.

Well done! 8-)
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.