Thread: Too old?

Ellbee is offline Junior Member

Default Too old?

Hi all,

Want to emigrate to NZ with husband and dog! ?I am almost 56 and hubby is 58. ?Are ?we too old? :'(

I have been teaching for 30 years, now in special ed. and have a Masters degree in Education + am ?undertaking a Ph.D. - due to complete in 2 years My partner is a trained horticulturalist and working craftsman gardener also with carpentry qualification and skills. ?We have around ?250K to invest in property and/ or business and want to keep working.

What are our chances as skilled migrant worker guidelines seem to suggest that we are just past it! ?Any help/advice gratefully received.

Thanks
    Ellbee

Daisyspop is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Too old?

I don't know what the cut-off age is but I do know that NZ has a great need for educators and may be prepared to make special arrangements. Why don't you contact NZ House in London or seek out a teacher recruitment agency and pose the question?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I believe 55 is the upper age limit, but as Daisyspop said, it may be worth contacting immigration as teachers are in high demand so they may allow special circumstances.

Good luck!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

duane1x is offline Member

Hi all,

?We have around ?250K to invest in property and/ or business and want to keep working.

What are our chances as skilled migrant worker guidelines seem to suggest that we are just past it! ?Any help/advice gratefully received.

Thanks
    Ellbee
    I think you would be a good candidate for the Long Term Business category, if you are willing to be self employed. Check the list here:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/

You would be able to meet the evidence of enough money to support yourself. You have presumably been a school system employee in the past, but there are opportunities (my spouse has teaching/special ed experience also) to do this as your own business. e.g. diagnostician.

The hard part would be getting established in a new place where you don't have any contacts within the schools, the testing regimen, and so forth. Your partner could also be "the business", perhaps, in either the horticulture path or the carpentry.

Carpentry steps on an established trade with its own qualifications but if you were going to be something more specific like a cabinet maker and open a shop and sell your own cabinets I think that would fit the bill of self-employment and not applying in competition to trade carpenters.

The question then is are you willing to take that gamble - risk your savings in order to go to NZ and attempt to establish one or both of yourselves in a business. Personally I think it would be worth the risk. Say you were going to try it for a year and then re-evaluate if it was working and your likelihood of success. I'd suggest you could do this for ?75K for a year, depending on business startup costs (do you have to buy a bunch of carpentry equipment for example). Others feel free to weigh in on whether this sounds accurate. I'm budgeting 40K for initial travel, moving, and living expenses and 35K for business startup costs. Presumably you'll have at least some revenue in the year, no?

At the end if you said, it's a bust, and you had not found another way to make it work - e.g. a job offer from a school because you'd been living there and made contacts - you could always move back and your accounts would be 75K lighter.
    Is that a terrible outcome? Would you regret the year? Only you can answer. Anyway, it's a thought.

Disclaimer is that I'm no expert in NZ immigration but I've been considering this same route but I'm going to try the skilled migrant avenue first as I think it's cleaner visa-wise and I'd like to be able to take a job with someone else, if I want to.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I believe 55 is the upper age limit,
    Yes, it's up to and including 55 years -

Because we are looking for people who can make a long-term contribution to New Zealand, you must be 55 years or under to apply under this category.

BUT it says you must be 55 years or under to apply. That means you could still apply as you aren't 56 yet, but you'd have to get your application in very quickly. Once it's in, I don't think it matters that you tip over into your 56th year.

Worth a try. Hope you can make it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Ellbee is offline Junior Member

Many thanks for your replies - will investigate these routes further

Ellbee

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Hi Ellbee,

Yes what MB said about as long as you apply before you are over the cut off age is fine. We had a similar prob with our WHV you have to be 30 or under to apply for it and one of us (not saying which one tee hee) was turning 31 this year but when I called Immi they said it would be fine as long as we applied for it before the 31st Bday. It also never mattered when we arrived in NZ as long as it was within the 12 month period after getting our WHV granted.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do...personally I dont think they should have age limits on things but hey ho....