Thread: Looking for suggestions for a new car

Ace
    Ace is offline Member

Default Looking for suggestions for a new car

One of things at the top of my to-do list after we arrive in NZ is to buy a new car. We drive a Prius in the US -- the easy choice is to get another one, but I'm wondering if there are other options that we should also consider. Fuel economy is important, as is total range per tank-full. Diesel would be OK.

I saw the Peugeot 407 HDi when we were in NZ last year. Although I've never driven one, it seems to have both good fuel economy and range. I'm a little concerned about getting it serviced on the south island.

Another other ideas, or places to look on the web for (free) comparisons of cars that are available in NZ (which are different enough from US options to be confusing), would be appreciated.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for suggestions for a new car

Hi Ace,

I'm no car buff (don't even drive ?::)), but thought you might find something in Autotrader . ?If you click around the site it might come up with some relevant info for you.

Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

The Peugeots are a great car, I had a 406 HDi (predecessor to the 407) which had excellent fuel consumption and a long range on a tank of fuel. I dont think you'll have any problems getting it serviced, but being European cars, parts and such tend to be expensive for them.

The vast majority of cars are Japanese, and most of the Japanese cars have smaller tanks (40 - 50 litres) so range isnt amazing.

The good thing with NZ is, if you ask nicely, some of the car dealers let you take the car home for the weekend or whatever so you can give it a good try out.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Ace
    Ace is offline Member

Yes, the tank on my Prius holds 40 to 50 L. The Peugeot HDi seems to hold 66 L, which is better. I'd love to find a car with a 1500 km range, if something like that exists.

How available are alternative fuels like LNG or biodiesel?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

.....but thought you might find something in Autotrader . ?
    My Autotrader link isn't showing up in red, Taffy. Might be overlooked as just ordinary text. ?Thought all clickable links were in red?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.