Thread: Childcare

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default Childcare

I have one very big problem when I get to NZ....yes Im being positive. I have a 12 year old. I will be working shifts...nights and weekends included. Does anyone know about the childcare system, I may have to look for an aupair, which I can't really afford. Anyone gone down that route?
    Vee

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Childcare

Hi Vee,

From the research I've done, it seems that a lot of the childcare facilities are geared towards the pre-schoolers. Only a very few take older children and they tend to be in the South Island and, I guess, take them solely during the daytime.

What sort of establishment will you be working in? My thoughts were whether they'd be prepared to accept your daughter there considering the difficulty you're having finding someone to sit in with her. If they could set aside a little room for your daughter to sleep in during the night and find her a 'jobette' to do during the weekends. A lot to ask, I know, but being kiwis, they might want to help out.

Once you've found your feet in your new job, you may well come across others in the same position as you, i.e. shift workers, and be able to glean some helpful info from them, especially the single parents.

If I were you, I think I'd approach the company and ask for their advice. It's quite possible they may already be aware of others with childcare difficulties and can set you on the right path.

Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Childcare

Free childcare that you have to pay for
    Wednesday January 24, 2007
    By Claire Trevett

The Ministry of Education is telling preschools to consider raising their fees if Government funding for 20 hours' free childcare is not enough.

The advice runs counter to the Government's own assurances in 2005 that fees for under-3s would not be affected by the policy and would be possibly controlled if there were unreasonable increases.

The option, being suggested as a way to bolster the free funding in childcare centres so they do not have to cut extra services, is likely to enrage parents, who will feel they are being asked to subsidise a Government scheme.

Childcare groups said parents of toddlers aged under 3 and those in daycare for more than 20 hours a week would be subsidising a "Government promise" to older children.

More here .
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Parents told to pay extra or lose out
    Page 1 of 2 5:00AM Saturday June 16, 2007
    By Claire Trevett

One of the first major childcare groups to support the "20 free hours" scheme is warning parents that if they don't pay up to $3.75 an hour in "optional" fees the free funding could be withdrawn.

KidiCorp has sent letters to parents of about 3000 children offering the 20 free hours of early childhood education to 3- and 4-year olds, but saying it might have to withdraw it if not enough parents sign up to an "optional fee".

Chief executive Wayne Wright said the extra charges of $1.25 to $3.75 an hour were needed.

"The reality is that it's not a 'free' 20 hours that the Government is offering. It's a subsidy - that's what it is."

National Party early education spokeswoman Paula Bennett said parents were effectively over a barrel because centres could drop the "free" funding altogether if they didn't cough up.

"It is difficult for parents to speak out. They want the subsidy and won't be turning away from anything that saves them a few dollars each week, but the Labour Government has made a promise to parents - 20 hours for free - and it's time to follow through."

The free funding scheme is due to begin next month. However, many centres have opted out, saying the rates of $4.09 to $10.60 an hour are not enough to meet even the basic costs of centres in expensive areas. The rates are based on the average national cost of a basic service. Centres cannot charge compulsory fees on top of this.

Ms Bennett said the Government's insistence that the hours were "free" was a farce. Other examples of top-up charges were the Auckland Kindergarten Association, which is charging 50c an hour, and the TreeHouse in Tauranga, which is charging a "quality education surcharge" of $20 a day to cover such things as good staff ratios, guest speakers, a "beautiful and aesthetic learning environment" and "provision of nutritional and sumptuous morning tea".

More here .
    Mother Bear

Blog Entries

Early childhood education scheme in trouble before it starts
    5:00AM Friday June 29, 2007
    By Martha McKenzie-Minifie

The Auckland Kindergarten Association is threatening to drop the Government's 20 hours free early childhood education scheme before it has even started.

General manager Tanya Harvey said the member centres needed a 50c an hour optional charge from parents to provide the free hours.

But if parents didn't pay, it would have to opt out.

Despite the small size of the charge, Ms Harvey said parents were considering refusing to pay, saying free should mean free.

It was particularly a problem in higher income areas, she said.

"There are only two possibilities, either parents pay the so-called 'optional charges' and we stay in the scheme, or parents don't pay and we opt back out again."

She said the association, which has 107 member kindergartens serving around 9000 families, would review its position monthly and have a better idea of its situation by year's end.

Ms Harvey said the $1.1 million annually the Auckland kindergartens get from charitable trusts was also under threat, with some supporters indicating they believed they wouldn't need to support the service if care wasn't free.

New Zealand Kindergarten Association president Karen Boyes said its position of centres opting in to the scheme was unchanged. The Auckland association was not part of the NZ organisation.

The Government's free early childhood education scheme will be launched on Sunday. The policy aimed to get more pre-schoolers into early childhood education by providing 3 and 4-year-olds 20 free hours a week.

However, many providers said the Government funding was not enough to cover costs.

In Parliament yesterday, Education Minister Steve Maharey said while there would not be 86,000 children covered by the policy immediately, there would be a substantial number.

Mr Maharey said the numbers would grow over time. He said he thought a "scare campaign" had lowered the numbers.

From here .
    Mother Bear

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

I have just been reading these news articles about 'free' nursery for pre school children.

My eldest daughter is currently in nursery and has her 'free' 20hrs a week.
    We pay a voluntry contribution of ?2 a week which goes towards the daily snacks and craft/baking equipment and any parties which they might have.

I don't think any of the parents have a problem with paying this nominal amount, after all it would cost a LOT more if the children were in private nursery for those 20hrs.

I do hope that they manage to keep the scheme as some children may miss out on nursery/kindi as parents won't be able to afford the costs of private nursery.
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

Blog Entries

Third of pre-schoolers not covered by 20-hours scheme
    Page 1 of 2 10:42AM Monday July 02, 2007
    By Stuart Dye

Photo / Steven McNicholl

Around a third of three and four-year-olds enrolled at teacher-led pre-schools will not be covered by the Government's 20-hours free policy, the Education Ministry confirmed today.

It released figures showing 38 per cent of centres covering 30 per cent of all enrolled three and four-year-olds had opted out of the scheme.

Take up rates varied hugely across regions, with 49 per cent of Auckland registered pre-schoolers not initially covered.

Miss Clark said that having a take-up rate of 70 per cent from day one was a "tremendous achievement".

"We've always been optimistic of good takeup and this is very good takeup," she told reporters.

Miss Clark said she expected the takeup to grow over time, particularly in areas with an initially low takeup like Auckland.

Since the takeup figures were collated on June 26, another 30 centres had already come forward to join and kohanga reos, about half of which were eligible, were currently considering whether to opt in.

The Education Ministry figures show the takeup was strongest in rural centres with fewer than 1000 people, where 85 per cent of eligible preschoolers were covered.

In major urban centres the figure was 68 per cent.

The cost of the policy is estimated at $178 million in the coming year.

The Ministry figures backed the findings of a survey released by the Early Childhood Council yesterday.

And the council - which represents 1000 centres caring for more than 50,000 children - says that of the remaining centres, almost half will make parents pay extra to cover the cost of the scheme.

The 20 free hours was introduced yesterday after being announced as a major plank of the Budget in 2004.

The council last night released figures from a survey of its own community and private childcare centres. It showed that rejection of the scheme was highest in Auckland, where more than half the centres will not offer the free hours.

More here .
    Mother Bear