Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its a girl thing!!

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Default Its a girl thing!!

Well we've been here nearly 3 months and I have finally summoned up the courage to try a new hairdresser ?[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] I had the most fantastic hairdresser in Somerset in UK and after we moved to Salisbury I still kept going to her despite it being a 150mile round trip!! ?Despite my best efforts she refused to move out to NZ with us, so I have had to find a new one (grey highlights were getting a bit TOO extreme!! ? [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] ) - After long deliberation I chose a salon in the centre of town that was NOT advertising blue rinses or 'have 5 perms, get your 6th one free' and it was wonderful - and only about half what it used to cost me in the UK.

See told you it was a girl thing, but for me getting a great hairdresser is almost as excitingly thrilling as getting PR - lol!! ?[smiley=005.gif]

Hope you're all having a fab weekend - am off to look in the mirror at my sleek new hair again! ?:icon_biggrin:

Maggie

pianist is offline Junior Member

Hey Maggie,
    I hear ya! I am sure guys don't understand what we are fussing about! I just colored my hair and plan to have it cut at the LAST minute before we leave for NZ (September 8th) so that I will have lots of time to talk to the gals there to find out which hairdresser is 'safe' to go to. You know, a bad experience is like walking around feeling like you have to apologize to everyone for your bad hairdo! At this point, we have one more day before the container arrives (we are packing ourselves) and we are nowhere near done! Earlier this week, I really felt like I needed some Zoloft or Paxil (antidepressants)...I felt like I was on a roller coaster to hell and couldn't get off....everything was falling apart at the seams and I felt like having the rug pulled out from under me.....bet lots of you guys (and gals) went through that when you moved. I am not sure if things would be better if we had professional movers....heard some horror stories about how people's stuff got broken despite professional help.
    Good for you......anyone know of good hairdressers in Chch? How much does a haircut cost? I usually pay around $30 (before tip) - this is average here in Florida.

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Well done Maggie ... I know how scary it is going to a new hairdresser as I do it all the time! ?My hair is thick and fine so a cut and blow-dry can take one and a half hours as the layers are clipped back, cut, then painstakingly dried. ?Often I am so embarrassed at the time it takes that I just ask for a cut and leave with wet hair! ? ?[smiley=icon_lol.gif]

Can't help with Christchurch hairdressers, pianist, but I do hope your packing went OK and you are not too exhausted with it all. ?We've always moved ourselves in the past using a hired van, but I imagine you will be wrapping everything up yourselves ... don't forget they are just material possessions and your health is so much more important. ?Guess we can look forward to hearing your views of settling NZ in the near future! ? [smiley=icon_wink.gif]

[smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

nattydread is offline God like figure

I had the most fantastic hairdresser in Somerset in UK and after we moved to Salisbury I still kept going to her despite it being a 150mile round trip!!
    nothing...!!

my wife made me drive back from Belgium to go to her hairddresser in Portsmouth..!!

Really struggling to find a hairdresser here that has experience with Afro Caribbean type barnets..

A couple have said yes.. and charged us WAY OVER THE ODDS , only to realise they haven't a clue how to handle that type of hair..

We have bought the chemicals over t'internet and I am now her hairdresser..
    and, If I do say so myself.. I'm not THAT bad at it,,.

Her hair still gets up at the same time as her in the morning, so that has to be a bonus..

She does miss 'Next' though..

::)

Anyone any ideas to get round that..!!??

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

She does miss 'Next' though..

::)

Anyone any ideas to get round that..!!??
    Pity Next doesn?t do a postal delivery service. If you had mail redirection in force, you could steer the packages out to you in NZ. When your wife has been bad to you, you could always torture her by sitting her down at the PC so she can browse online through all the goodies she can?t have. [smiley=icon_twisted.gif]

Some UK catalogues are available abroad, but you have to pay all postage charges (deliveries and returns) yourself.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ahhhhh....Next, M and S foodhall, Waitrose, Pasty Presto....can I go on??

We have 'Next' sorted though - friend of mine has put in huge order for stuff for me, him and the girls, and is going to parcel it up in lots of medium size parcels and get it out to us as 'gifts'!!! Costing us a bit but I am struggling to find clothes of a similar style and, more importantly, quality to what we were used to in UK - quite a few of the clothes I have bought the girls since we have been here have fallen apart within a few washes. There doesn't seem to be much available either for a 30-something woman who isn't a size 10 in the mainstream stores - and we haven't got cash to burn in boutiques, hence I'm getting stuff sent out from the UK! [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif] If it doesn't fit I shall put it on 'trademe'!

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

[smiley=017.gif] Confused.

fisheress is offline Senior Member

Hairdressers!!!

I have had mine cut twice since October last year..................Why? Because no one can cut it properly here and I am scared to try yet another salon!!

What am I doing about it?? Apart form tripping over my own hair, my 17 year old has left school here (long story) and is now an apprentice stylist for Toni and Guy in Auckland!!!!

What a positive coming out of very negative times!!!!!

I'll book you all in!!!But you'll have to queue up behind me

Fisheress

nattydread is offline God like figure

for kids clothes, pumpkin patch seems to be close to next for price and quality..

can't find anything nextish for women..

and as a bloke, as long as it looks like a t shirt and is called a t shirt and is priced at what a t shirt should be priced at , then it'll do for me,...
    same goes for jeanery ...

(i do miss fat face though.. but they DO deliver to NZ.... for a price..)

Pumpkin Patch is fab, and very favourably priced if you're still converting to pounds, but works out expensive when we only have one wage coming in and that a NZ dollar wage [smiley=icon_lol.gif] (DOn't tell OH but the girls have been getting quite a few new clothes from Pumpkin Patch recently, paid for on UK credit card!!)

I did buy some bits for me in Farmers yesterday, but nothing very exciting or glam - just cropped trousers and a t-shirt. Roll on end of September when our container arrives!!!!!

Re: blokes clothes, OH is having problems buying trousers - he has short legs and trousers only seem to come in one length, so he has had to have his suit trousers altered radically. God knows what tall blokes do!! Stick lace round the hem to lengthen them?? [smiley=icon_lol.gif]

BTW Natty, I'm well impressed that you too are hairdresser to your wifey - Bless my other half, he's a dab hand with the ceramic straighteners!! - he's very good considering he's as bald as Kojak!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast