Thread: Maternity leave rights in NZ

loopylu is offline Member

Default Maternity leave rights in NZ

Hi,

:)

I am hoping to move to NZ in the next few years (after hopefully qualifying as a Clinical Psychologist in Sept '07). I was wondering if anyone knows what the maternity leave rights are like in NZ and how they compare to the UK. As I work for the NHS I am entitled to 9 months PAID maternity leave and then I can take up to an additional 3 months UNPAID leave allowing me a year off in total. (It has only very recently gone from 6m-9m paid leave). I have seacrhed on the net and have read somewhere that NZ is behind in this aspect and you only get about 14 weeks - is this right???? Also in the NHS I think you have to have had 2 years continuous employment in the NHS to get full maternity leave benefits - is there a similar system in NZ???

I have spent the last 8 years finishing my studies in the UK with the aim of moving to NZ as soon after qualifying as possible. I really want to be able to start a family and am starting to worry that it won't be possible (or affordable) in NZ?????

Thanks for any advice or help,

Lucy... a NZer wanabee!!!!
    Arrived in New Zealand on WHV on 5th Feb '08.

Facebook ID: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=704762406

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Maternity leave rights in NZ

Hello, Welcome to the forum.

I am not overly sure what the maternity rights are for NZ but I will ask my friend in the morning and give you the low down.

From what she has said it is great having a baby in NZ compared to the UK. ?She had her first child in Edinburgh and her second in NZ and said the second was a much better experience.

Her midwife was the same all the way through her pregnancy. ?She made home visits instead of classes during working times so she never had to book anytime of work for appts. ?She said she was more like a friend than a midwife. ?Even once the baby was born and she had to move hospitals the midsife was with her all the way. ?

With her pregnancy in the old Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh she had to share a ward with 3 other new mothers and their babies, similar to the new ERI. ?Where as in NZ she had a room all to herself with her new baby.

As I say I'll find out more about the leave etc for you in the morning. ?I do know that her hubby was entitled to 3 months paternity leave! ?Dont know if thats a good thing or not tee hee ? ;D

Will post more once I have spoken to her...

Default Re: Maternity leave rights in NZ

Thanks Lil Amy... look forward to hearing more...

That sounds great that you're treated so well in NZ during pregnancy and birth... and out of choice I would love to wait and start a family in NZ so am glad it's a positive experience.

I guess the only thing that concerns me is if I would have to go back to work sooner as I really would want to take a year out (ideally PAID!!!) and if that meant staying in the UK to do that then I may consider it ?:( However 3 months paternity leave is way more than the UK so am keeping my fingers crossed that there's still a chance that maternity leave is comparable to the UK :)

Thanks again,

Lucy

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It would appear that maternity leave has previously been unpaid and was for up to 14 weeks. ?The issue of paid maternity leave has been debated for a while and it would appear that it is now paid.

This tells you a bit about it. It appears to come under the umbrella of Parental Leave.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the info - although OUCH... only 14 weeks paid leave!!!! I guess I can only hope that maybe my (future) employers may have a more favourable agreement. I guess I'm lucky with the rights I get working in the NHS at the moment!!!

Does anyone know how frequently more 'favourable' agreements are made with employers or anyone who works for the district health boards (who I hope I'll be able to get a job with) what maternity agreements they have???

Thanks again,

Loopylu ?:)