Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our story so far...

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Our story so far...

Well so far so good, been in NZ since Thursday and we're doing pretty well I think.

We've managed to get a cracking deal on a car, 5 yr old, Mitsubishi Gallant 2.0 for $10,000. We even got to test drive it over the weekend!!

Booked up ur car insurance through our bank which was all instant and a pretty good fee for both hubby and I.

Sorted a joint bank account up. Within an hour and half Stu and I both had our EFTPOS cards, pin numbers and access to internet banking. The lady in the bank was lovely. Didn't even need any cash to set it up which was odd. They do things so differently across here. Instead of waiting for your pin number to arrive like you do in the UK, you just get your card in the bank and preprogramme it there and then! Not overly impressed with all the bank charges that they make you pay but hey ho.

Off to Rotorua tomorrow as Stu starts work on Wed contracting so all in all our experience here has been pretty good. Not any bad points to report at the moment.

Will keep you posted with further developments as time goes on but hopefully it will all go the same way.

Debd is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Amy,

Fantastic progress! I still can't believe that you're there already!
    I'm so glad things are going well.
    We fly out 3 weeks today..... been e-mailing everyone and calling everyone as still so much to do... arranging our leaving party at mo! Shippers arrive in 3 days so may not be able to use computer if we have to ship it, (due to security on hand luggage at mo!!)
    Well good luck to Stu in his new job and I hope it continues to go well for you both, look forward to hearing more about your journey to happiness!!
    Love Debrax

NickampJacky Guest

Glad things are panning out for you Amy, seems to be running sweetly for you. We will be passing through Rotoroa in our camper van in 5 weeks time - so look out!

Hope Stus job goes well.

cheers

Nick and Jacky

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Hi Amy,

Welcome to New Zealand!

It certainly is a challenge finding out and learning those things they do differently here. I have found our bank very helpful and they know me by sight now ... mind you I have had a few interesting appointments with them recently, but that is another story.

Sounds like things are ticking along steadily for you.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Good to hear that things are going smoothly for you Amy and Stu!

Btw.. Glenda and Amy, which bank do you use? I am planning to open an account when I arrive.

Thanks
    Pulsarblu

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

ASB. Cannot really say which bank is the best ... there is probably not much difference.
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Thank you! I am thinking about Kiwibank...

But ASB looks good too..

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Glad things are ticking along nicely for you!

Rotorua is a cool place, though can be a little smelly in places! Make sure you have a wander around the steam pools, very eery!

Pulsarblu, the 'Big 4' as they like to call themselves - National Bank, BNZ, ASB and ANZ - are all pretty much the same, although National bank is known for it's great customer service. BNZ is more with the times, and keeps up with technology. ANZ is renowned for it's poor customer service, which is why they decided to buy the National Bank! Not had much experience with ASB.

It's sometimes good to spread around the different banks too, as some offer much better deals on particular services. For example:

National Bank has great service and their regular accounts are good.
    BNZ have much better technology, online applications for things etc.
    Kiwibank have an awesome savings account
    And someone, though cant remember who at the moment, is offering the lowest rate credit card around.

Shop around!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

justNoZi is offline Member

hi Amy,

wow! things seem to be moving along at some pace for you both. well done.

i'm on countdown mode ( kinda getting nervous ) be off from glasgow in less than 3 months time. hope my arrival goes as well as yours.

keep enjoying that new of yours over there.

nattydread is offline God like figure

on the banking front, if you are going to be working for a government body, (ie police or hospitals or civil service) speak to westpac ,,
    they have a scheme whereby you avoid the majority of the charges..

we used kiwibank to start with but the charges were crippling, they charge for every eftpos transaction...
    i am a heavy user of eftpos, i hardly ever carry cash,, and the charges soon mounted up.
    since we both work for Wairarapa DHB we moved to westpac and I caneftpos till my hearts content... (or the money runs out)..

Hope all is still well with you and yours Amy, welcome abroad!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast