Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym's/Fitness clubs in NZ

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Gym's/Fitness clubs in NZ

I never looked into them back in Florida, I was active and knew where to find games of basketball or touch gridiron to get into.

Even in Auckland I kept super active. But after moving to Wellington, I've found it a little harder to find the "playgrounds for grown up guys".

Which has lead me to looking at Gyms. They generally run $30 a WEEK on down to $20 a week for a year contract. A Kiwi friend that just got here from the UK said this is at least 2x what she was used to paying.

I called my mum, who said in Florida they generally run about $20 ($30NZ) a month (not a week).

So my hunt wasn't looking good. UNTIL I ran across http://www.fitnessnz.co.nz/ ..... Fitness New Zealand will pay for half of your membership costs.

I found one place in Wellington with this discount that was $30NZ a MONTH (not a week).

Hmm, my thoughts above aren't as organized as normal. But I think you get the gyst. If you want to get into a fitness club, they are probably a member of FitnessNZ, and you can get half of your membership paid. Hope it helps!!

Anyone else have any luck looking for gyms?

FitnessNZ Get NZ Active Promotion - http://www.fitnessnz.co.nz/memberships06/index.php

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

James. why bother with a gym? Loads of ways you can stay fit without bothering and save cash - I've never belonged to a gym in my life but I think I'm quite fit. Can't be doing with all those self-infatuated idiots watching their own reflections in the mirror, when i work out I'm not really bothered what colour lipstick I'm wearing or whether my hair looks alright - it's usually plastered to my head with sweat.

Maybe it's the social side of exercise you miss, or the finding like-minded people? That's a bit more difficult although you could start your own sheepolympics? [smiley=icon_mrgreen.gif]

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

it's usually plastered to my head with sweat.
    Yum

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Yo! there are so many men and ladies ( 8-) ) jogging at the waterfront in welly, why do you still need a gym?

Pulsarblu

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Yo! there are so many men and ladies ( 8-) ) jogging at the waterfront in welly, why do you still need a gym?

Pulsarblu
    I'll be one of them.....although I prefer to run in woodland or forest.....any of that near Welly?

Not sure about that. When i am there in Sep I will find out and let you know...! ;)

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Pulsarblu
    I'll be one of them.....although I prefer to run in woodland or forest.....any of that near Welly?
    Yes go through the botanical garden or many of the nature reserves in and around Welly, Otaki Bush near Ngaio etc etc.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

I've got bad knees, and running is suicide (well, in the long run) on knees.

I too have never been a member of a gym. Though my Uni did have a free one and I'd go....like once a month :-)

And when I was playing gridiron (9 years ago....wow, I'm getting old ;-)) in high school we lifted weights every day I think. Not that it did much for me, I'm quite skinny. But hey, when you start with nothing, you can only go up right? :icon_lol:

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

it's usually plastered to my head with sweat.
    Yum
    If you're into sweaty heads, Stevey, pop up to the Middle East. We've all got sweaty heads and plastered hair here. You'd be in your element.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

James...

Checkout this website http://www.feelinggreat.co.nz/index.php 'Click on Recreation, Fitness and Outdoors'

Plenty of fitness courses.centres (not running) for you to explore in Wellington....

Or are you still in Welly?

Pulsarblu

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast